Mountain Project Logo

Favorite Climbing Gear Shop

Original Post
Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

I'm trying to find out where people like to buy their gear, actual brick-and-mortar shops. What are your favorite shops in the towns around N. Utah and S. Idaho?

Provo
Salt Lake
Ogden
Logan
S. Idaho cities?

Eli Buzzell · · noco · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 5,507

ime

Huli Hutu · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 21

Ditto on IME. Those guys are awesome!

Name · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 25

IME

BD store for stuff IME doesn't have

Charlie S · · NV · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 2,391
John Wilder wrote:If I'm in SLC and buying gear, I'm buying from IME. If you're in Ogden, the Front has a nice little shop in house- and I feel like some guys were opening up a brick and mortar not far from them a couple years back, but the name escapes me at the moment.
You're thinking of Gear:30.

A second vote for IME!
Michael Catlett · · Middleburg, VA · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 175

IME......I am an old climber by most people's standards on this web site, so let me assure you there once was lots of shops in climbing communities around this country like IME. Now there are very, very few. Next time you buy at REI or the Internet to save a few bucks, you are putting one more nail in the traditional climbing shop coffin.

It is the shops job to be comepetative with REI and the Internet, but remember service, inventory on hand, and product knowledge has a cost you should be willing to pay. Especially if you want great gear and inventory right in your backyard.

Chris Geaslin · · SLC, Utah · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 70

IME for sure! but a new discovery of mine has been going out to the backcountry.com warehouse where they have a retail store that lets you request pretty much anything off the website (through the warehouse) and its a good way to gain access to gear that a small shop might not carry.

Robert Lindsen · · Salt Lake City, UT · Joined May 2016 · Points: 0

+1 for IME.

I actually work for Backcountry, in their warehouse mentioned above, and I can get pretty much any piece of gear out there for at least 40% off, if not more. But I'll still occasionally shop at IME, even if it's just for little things like tape or webbing or chalk. Those guys are awesome, have outstanding customer service, and have done a lot in the area in terms of development and conservation. They deserve our business.

Mike Womack · · Orcutt, CA · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 2,015

I lived in idaho falls for a few years. There isn't much except for a little gear shop called Idaho Mountain Training in Idaho falls. It has the essentials and not much more - ropes, harnesses, BD cams and nuts, guidebooks.. A small shop called sled shed in Rexburg, ID which has been phasing out of selling climbing for the past while (you may find some fiveten coyotes haha). Also, driggs has "Yostmark" which is pretty a cool shop.

I'm familiar with SE Idaho pretty well and it's safe to say there's nothing else. I remember a VERY small shop in twin falls but I believe it closed down. It's good to point out that "rock stop" in almo, ID. is not a gear shop..

JK- Branin · · NYC-ish · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 56

Provo: Mountain Works, Hansen Mountaineering
Salt Lake: IME, the Black Diamond Store, The Front, Liberty Mountain Outlet (not a full selection usually, but usually fun to browse and always good deals)
Ogden: The Front
Logan: Drive to SLC
S. Idaho cities: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

caesar.salad · · earth · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 75

IME!

Levi Painter · · Boise, ID · Joined Jan 2017 · Points: 0

Idaho Mountain Trading in Idaho Falls has some climbing gear, and also the new climbing gym in Ammon (excellent gym). I live in Boise now and Sierra Trading Post has a brick and mortar near by that has killer deals but their stock is hit and miss.

Taylor-B. · · Valdez, AK · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 3,186

Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking and the Hoarding Marmot in Anchorage!

Tristan Higbee · · Pocatello, ID · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 2,970

Mountainworks in Provo is amazing.

paintrain · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 75

SLC = I-M-E

Brian in SLC · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Oct 2003 · Points: 21,746
IME
Kauait · · West is the best. · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0

Scott Carson is Da Man... thanks boys for all you do... you make the experience that much better.

Kauait · · West is the best. · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0

Brian .. love the pic of the old location..

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374
Dashing through the snow...sorta

In Boise, Backcountry Pursuit has used stuff. Some of almost everything comes through eventually. I got the whole works for the pic above, for about $140ish. Except the trekking poles. Those were from WinCo (grocery store)!

Idaho Mountain Touring has a bit of climbing stuff, otherwise REI is about it. Sierra Trading Post was super sparse when we went there.

Best, OLH

Edit to add, pic is Mountain Hardware full zip pants, North Face waterproof H.O.T. boots, and North Face jacket with zip out liner.
Ryan Hamilton · · Orem · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 5

Thanks!

Anyone from Logan here? Where do you get your gear?

Scott Morris · · Bountiful, UT · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 853

I'm sort of familiar with Logan. The only options that I know of are Al's Sporting Goods and Campsaver's retail store at their warehouse right off the highway down in Nibley....but neither of them are really "gear shops". Campsaver has a pretty comprehensive selection of gear though. Online sales are definitely their focus.

The Trailhead used to be a cool little gear shop on Main Street, but it disappeared years ago. There also used to be one called Adventure Sports that even sported a little indoor climbing wall.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northern Utah & Idaho
Post a Reply to "Favorite Climbing Gear Shop"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started