Mountain Project Logo

Shoulder PT/ body worker recommendations Denver area

Original Post
Edubs · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2014 · Points: 0

Hey everyone,
I'm looking for recommendations for a good physical therapist in the Denver area that know shoulders (in my case, an old labral tear) and frequently treat climbers.

I've looked at some of the other threads on here, but hoping to find someone who runs his or her own private service and doesn't participate with insurance. My insurance isn't great, so I'll be paying out of pocket anyway, and usually the practices that don't mess with insurance are easier to deal with and cheaper in the long run.

Anywhere in the front range is fine by me.

Thanks!

Mitch Musci · · Estes Park, CO · Joined Apr 2002 · Points: 665

You should check out Dr. Steve Melis.

pro-active-chiro.com/

I did about 10 sessions with him for an old labral tear and he got me from not climbing at all to about 90%. Ultimately, after another year of being stuck at 90% I went to Dr. Hackett at the Steadman Clinic in Vail. I went to surgery and he performed biceps tenodesis. Was climbing again in 11 weeks. 1 year past and now at 100%. Actually it is my robo shoulder now, stronger than the other. Just thought I'd share my story since it sounds like you are in a similar boat. Feel free to PM if you have any questions. Cheers!

Thanks Mitch I'll definitely check him out. And congrats on having a robo shoulder! That sounds awesome. I want a robo everything!

JNE · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 2,110

I think it is worth mentioning that every PT routine I have ever been given was lovely for getting the joint back to normal usage, but useless for really making the joint stable to be able to take higher intensity training than what led to the instability/'injury'. My advice would be to let the PT fix you up (they will address strength and range of motion), and then take whatever program they give you and adapt it into a brief hypertrophy program (which you will eventually turn into a strength program) which you can then add to your regular workout routine. This has worked reliably well for myself. If you like it, you might even mention the idea to the PT, as they might have some really good ideas for how to do it best.

Parker Wrozek · · Denver, CO · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 86

I have a shoulder injury right now (mostly infraspinatus related). I am seeing Tim Serrano at Lodo Physical Therapy. I have gone for 2 weeks and although he doesn't climb I was explaining the movement and how I was getting pain and it has been a good process. He does a bunch of dry needling and I am doing a bunch of exercises each day. I have gone from gastons being grit and bear it to slightly annoying. I feel better and better as I go. I also like that he didn't setup a 12 week, twice a week PT schedule. I have gone 4 times this year and are already backing it down. Should be good to go in 2-3 more visits.

I picked the Lodo office because it is 1 block from my work. With my insurance it is $70/visit. I believe I heard people paying cash spending about $80/visit (but you could call and ask).

lodopt.com/staff/

Thanks Parker that sounds like it might be a good practice for me. Yeah, I hate those visits where you go week after week and do generic exercises--seems like a waste of time and money!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Injuries and Accidents
Post a Reply to "Shoulder PT/ body worker recommendations Denver…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started