Mountain Project Logo

Infant/toddler Harness?

Original Post
Jason James · · Provo, UT · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 20

any idea if any of the kids' harnesses will fit a 1-2 yr old?

Jason Todd · · Cody, WY · Joined Apr 2012 · Points: 1,114

Unless the pup is overly large, probably not. My kids didn't fit the Petzl Simba until about 4 years old.

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

Five is the minimum age a child should climb. (I just made that up). 1-2 years old seems too young, hence the lack of harness availability.

Kauait · · West is the best. · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 0

1-2 yrs old is a bit small/flexible to safely stay in a harness. (Hang in there dad, they will grow)

Greg Barnes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 2,065

Trango Junior harness has a 25 lb minimum, our daughter fit just fine at age 3 and she's not big.

Regardless of minimum weight, when you do put your little one in a harness make absolutely sure they can't squirm their way out.

Which is something that a lot of parents with bigger kids need to pay more attention to, there are TONS of kids (especially boys) who are 8 or 10 years old but have zero hips and who could easily slide out of a harness if they flip upside down (and of course a full body harness at that age isn't "cool"). Then you go add some loose clothing, and you see that the harness is not tightened fully...pay attention!

Toddlers need a helmet on, they can't anticipate hanging in a harness and swinging/flipping, anything that stays put is good (e.g. a lightweight bike helmet is fine). Obviously this is more of a concern on lower-angle (e.g. outdoor) climbing than in a steep gym.

Jason James · · Provo, UT · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 20

Thanks guys for the info.
I was familiar with the two petzl kids' harnesses but didn't know about the trango. I took a look at the trango junior and I think I'm going to get that for my boy. and of course a helmet.
He's 11 months old and looking to get him comfortable hanging a couple feet off the ground and maybe try climbing a few feet next summer.

Michael Mattox · · Terrebonne, OR · Joined Dec 2016 · Points: 5

Yo, James!
Check out the Edelrid Fraggle. They have an XXS size that fits SUPER small kids. Also, it is a good deal nicer than any other kids harness I've seen.
Firstly, it's PADDED, unlike others on the market. Also, if you're a skier at all, it has a dorsal attachment point that makes it a great ski-learning harness as well!

Edelrid Fraggle XXS

Check it here: backcountrygear.com/edelrid…

-M

john le · · Westchester, NY · Joined May 2012 · Points: 475

I'm a new dad and I'm curious: what can a typical 1-2 do that requires a harness? I might need to do some planning!

R. Moran · · Moab , UT · Joined Mar 2009 · Points: 140

1 inch Web and make that kid a Swiss seat with a matching chest harness locking biner them together and use that as the tie in. Get that kid out there. DAWN WALL AIN'T GONNA SEND ITSELF!

john le · · Westchester, NY · Joined May 2012 · Points: 475
Rob T wrote:Mainly feel like part of the team, same w climbing shoes. Our little guys started wearing their harnesses to go up Boulder problems around 2, but having stuff "just for them" usually buys us an extra hour at the rocks. They can also use the harness for a makeshift swing, but that's of debateable value in the mid term.
Ah, that's a good consideration, although I imagine tying his harness to a tree will give you more than an extra hour.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Infant/toddler Harness?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started