Mountain Project Logo

Random bolts

Original Post
Daniel H Bryant · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 320

I was doing some exploring this weekend, and found some bolted lines on a couple of rocks at the beginning of FR-211C, off the south end of FR-211.
I didn't have a partner with me, but looking at the routes, they appear to be low moderate. Close inspection would suggest the bolts are at least a couple years old.

Mike Slavens · · Houston, TX · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 35

I believe the area you are describing is the same as one being developed by Bob Robertson and Reggie Slavens. The routes are a couple years old to less than a month. Bob and Reggie are regulars at CityRock on Tuesday and Thursday mornings and are happy share beta as they like their routes to get climbed.

I know they are working on a mini-guide and it should be available soon at Link

Reggie Slavens · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2014 · Points: 995

If I'm not mistaken, these rocks are known as Matukat Cluster. Bob, his daughter Carrie, and I put up a new sport route or two on these rocks in the summer of 2015. Bob's routes are usually distinguished by his welded cold shut anchors, which he paints turd brown. The much older bolts were put in many years ago by someone else. Bob hopes to include these rocks on FR-211C in a new "climbing pamphlet" that he's working on.

An by the way, nice pictures.

Daniel H Bryant · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Sep 2013 · Points: 320

Firstly, thank you for responding.
Secondly, thank you for putting up anchors out of your own pocket.

I plan on going back up there in a couple of weeks to climb and camp (if work and the weather works out). I'll pm yawl my opinion of the routes I climb.
If you guys ever need a hand developing, I've got a chainsaw, tools, elbow grease, just let me know.
Cheers - Daniel

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,520

It's a pretty nice area. Brad Short put up a lot of the routes at the main area of Matukat. We tried to get back in touch with him but I wasn't able to locate him. Does anyone out there know what he's up to? Bob has included info on those routes and all of Matukat in his new pamphlet for the area.

Greg Sievers · · Bozeman, MT · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 2,142

you are correct;  Brad Short put up over  100 pitches there at Upper & Lower Matukat Rocks between 2001-2006 (that I know of). also involved were Scott Dooley, Fran Fierst, and others.  the majority seem to have been solid 5.10 to 5.11.  many routes in 'old school south platte style and quality'.  

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Random bolts"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started