Mountain Project Logo

Thailand trip for December and January! Beta needed and welcome!!

Original Post
Genevive Walker · · Denver, CO · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 0

I'm flying into Phuket Nov 27th and staying until Feb 1st. I've never been but want to explore as much as possible both on and off the coast. Looking to see if anyone will be out that way during that time or if anyone has any beta on places to see and go for awesome climbing. Tonsai and Chiang mai are on the list but I hear there's so much more to see in terms of kick ass climbing and culture. Feedback is greatly appreciated!!! Also in terms of lodging, I was going to wing it when I get there. If you guys have any places you recommend please let me know! Thanks!!!

Doug Joness · · logan, ut · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 215

I may be headed that way! I'll keep you posted. Don't have any info though...sorry

Pil Jungli · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 60

Just go to Tonsai beach, Krabi and you'll meet so many travellers many of which are... suprise, suprise, Americans! About half the climbers in fact. Strange but true. Some of them have travelled around all over Thailand and the world so will give you good beta also. Don't worry in advance.

Mark Hammond · · Eldorado Springs, CO · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 466

Contact the good folks at Chiang Mai Rock Climbing Adventures (find them at thailandclimbing.com).
They can give you lots of beta on climbing, culture, etc. Whether you want to visit more traditional areas, check out elephants, do a home stay, or whatever they will have good recommendations. They are also a wealth of information on how to experience Thailand with respect for the Thai culture and not inadvertently be a jerk.
One thing I especially enjoyed was heading over to Cambodia and visiting Angkor Wat.

Laure Martin · · CA · Joined Jun 2015 · Points: 0

I'll be there too around that time! email me when you get to thailand :)

Laure

Helen L · · Toronto, CA · Joined Sep 2016 · Points: 341

I will be in Tonsai/Railay from Jan 10 for a week or two! I just confirmed my flight. I am going alone so would love to meet up and climb with some friendly folks. I plan to head to Chiang Mai afterwards, but not yet sure I will be climbing there (but possibly check out Crazy Horse for a day or two or more!) as I have some other non-climbing plans in the country.

Sleyer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 40

Hey.
My buddy and I will be there from last week of December to early Jan. Let me know if you need a partner!
-S.

Daniel Siegel · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2011 · Points: 415

My partner and I will be in Tonsai/Railay sometime next week and staying in Thailand through late December. Our objectives as far as places are similar.

From what I understand, the sleeping beta for Tonsai isfind a bungalow when you get there. Feel free to message me and we can meet up and climb!

Derick L · · Philadelphia, PA · Joined Apr 2010 · Points: 235

Hey guys!

I'll be in Railay with a friend but won't have a climbing partner on Tuesday Dec 13 and Wednesday Dec 14. If you're up for swapping belays, PM me!

Ben Kessel · · Watertown, MA · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 0

Hey, I just got to TonSai, and I'll be here for a few days. Let me know if you want to climb.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

International
Post a Reply to "Thailand trip for December and January! Beta ne…"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.