Mountain Project Logo

who ski'd CO this month?

Original Post
Stiles · · the Mountains · Joined May 2003 · Points: 845

Anybody been playing off piste in the sunshine state lately? Looking for a challenge...

Jon H · · PC, UT · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 118

Youre late. My buddies were making fresh turns on Pikes Peak in August.

James T · · Livermore · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 80
Stiles wrote:...in the sunshine state?
Florida backcountry?
Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425
James T wrote: Florida backcountry?
James T · · Livermore · Joined Jul 2015 · Points: 80

I'm just major jel that there are places with fresh August tracks and I don't live there.

Alright, alright... Any yall go-getters been making turns in Colorful Colorado lately? Shirley, there must be some way-offseason schleppin and schralpin going on

Am I cluttering the system? Forgive me for riffling feathers! Tough customers... I reckon I'm glad to not be looking for partners.

Specifically, Seth, one thread is looking for advice; the other is looking for others' experiences. So far, there's not been much positive input. Rumor of some permanent 'snow' on Mt Massive might be worth checking out. Only a trace in RMNP, so I hear. Perhaps some alpinist has laid eyes on Lamb's Slide or some other juicy morsel of alpine ice that has a fresh skiff of snow on it?

I am driving Thursday night and skiing Something on Friday, likely with an ice axe in hand. I'll report my findings

Thanks for the bump!

Eric Klammer · · Eagle, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 2,070

Skied Skyscraper a week or so ago, quite the adventure! A loose gully to snow/rock chimney downclimb, to survival skiing steep massive runnels and suncups to finally 4 or 5 nice turns down the lower apron. Yeehaw! Thinking about doing a little exploring tomorrow as a small portion of the Gore area looks like it got hit pretty hard.

Looks pretty good, Eric. Where is this ice patch? I am unfamiliar

jleining · · CO · Joined Apr 2007 · Points: 32
James T wrote: Florida backcountry?
I'm glad someone else called this out! Colorado's nickname is the Centennial State.
Andy Novak · · Bailey, CO · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 370
Stiles wrote:Looks pretty good, Eric. Where is this ice patch? I am unfamiliar
Its called the Challenger Glacier and Skyscraper Glacier. Google. Don't try to ski Lambslide in September. You'll die.
Eric Klammer · · Eagle, CO · Joined Oct 2012 · Points: 2,070
Stiles wrote:Looks pretty good, Eric. Where is this ice patch? I am unfamiliar
Rollins pass area. I think the best access is from Winter Park. Nice, easy approach somewhere in the area of 45 minutes.

Info on Skyscraper "Glacier" and other summer spots.
Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425

Just remember it's getting to that time of year when the nights are pretty frosty, and some of these places will be changing over to alpine ice in spots. Proceed with caution!

Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 151
Stiles wrote:Alright, alright... Any yall go-getters been making turns in Colorful Colorado lately? Shirley, there must be some way-offseason schleppin and schralpin going on
I'm sorry, there is nothing to ski, and don't call me Shirley.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7…
nomadwolf360 Vardamis · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Apr 2013 · Points: 35

Indeed! Skied Andrews Glacier on Sunday. A nice 3-4 inches on top of the glacier. I think these glaciers are great places to go to get out the early season yee yaws. The base is deep, and with a little fresh on top it's magnificent! Much better than leaning back and praying at Butler Gulch in my book.

Jason Maurer · · Colorado · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 790
nomadwolf360 wrote: I think these glaciers are great places to go to get out the early season yee yaws.
I agree!! Nice work!

In good conditions you can sometimes skin up from below Zowie..

Skyscraper off Rollins Pass Friday was decent descent. Twas pouring rain in a cloud up there,not much visibility at all. Snow was pretty flat, and the rain made the surface nice n soft. Steep, real turns had pretty easily from the truck. Droppin knees and enjoying it.

St Marys Glacier was/is absolute shit. Barely counts as 'skiing', but ya gotta be pretty good to slide down it. In two hours dicking round up there late Fri afternoon l saw 25 people w skis or boards! All dudes. Why is it no chicks are silly enough for that? One fella had a young boy with him,pretty impressive for a wee lad to get down. Never saw a boarder come down,seems even sillier than 'skiing' that thing.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "who ski'd CO this month?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started