Mountain Project Logo

Just not quite good enough

Original Post
Mark E Dixon · · Possunt, nec posse videntur · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 974

So thanks to the folks who picked up after their dog at the Sport Park.

But next time, how about carrying the little green bag back to your car and the trash instead of leaving it at the base of the South face of Surprising Crag?

Chief Poop Patroller
Happy Sisyphus Climbing Team

Dan Cooksey · · Pink Ford Thunderbird · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 365
Jared Moore · · Truckee, CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 130

I know it's shitty, but probably they just forgot. No pun intended. I always get mad at this, but then I remember it probably wasn't intentional. I mean, who is going to put their dog's shit in a bag and intentionally leave it? Doesn't make it right, but...

Fat Dad · · Los Angeles, CA · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 60

I see enough little plastic bags of poo lying around with enough frequency to realize that it's not forgetfulness. People just don't want to carry it around, so they leave it. It's kind of the smelly equivalent of the cigarette butt. BTW, it's not like Mark is being hypersensitive. This is people leaving shit around. Sorry, but not cool.

Benjamin Chapman · · Small Town, USA · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 19,052

I have a dog. I pick up its poop in one of those nifty bags and carry out to the nearest trashcan. I just don't get people leaving those poop filled bags behind. Picking up after your dog means packing out the evidence!!

Kev V · · The mitten · Joined May 2013 · Points: 10

Did you verify the bag's contents? Otherwise we are all operating on assumption.

But to support your case, they probably didn't even tie a proper knot!

Bill Kirby · · Keene New York · Joined Jul 2012 · Points: 480
Jared Moore wrote:I know it's shitty, but probably they just forgot. No pun intended. I always get mad at this, but then I remember it probably wasn't intentional. I mean, who is going to put their dog's shit in a bag and intentionally leave it? Doesn't make it right, but...
I see it all the time. A couple local businesses in Keene Valley pitched in to have three 3 spot-a-pots installed in the Eastern High Peaks. Now people leave their dog shit bags beside the porta John. A little pile of shit filled bags WTF?
David Rivers · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 20

The obvious solution is to carry a shit kit for both you and your dog. Couple of bags for each of you for the shit, TP for you and a heavy duty ziplock bag for the full bags. If the thought of that in your pack is still too gross, put the loaded ziplock in a stuff sack or mini poop tube. Anyone claiming to be a climber or outdoors person should know how to responsible take care of their and their dog's excrement. Pick it up and pack it out.

Jared Moore · · Truckee, CA · Joined Aug 2013 · Points: 130
Fat Dad wrote:I see enough little plastic bags of poo lying around with enough frequency to realize that it's not forgetfulness. People just don't want to carry it around, so they leave it. It's kind of the smelly equivalent of the cigarette butt. BTW, it's not like Mark is being hypersensitive. This is people leaving shit around. Sorry, but not cool.
Definitely becoming a problem, you're right. I guess I am trying to give people the benefit of the doubt and not become a bitter bastard and assume the worst right away. IT's hard! People suck.
Jim Fox · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 50

I went bouldering at Mt. Sanitas recently and there were probably 15-20 of the little smelly bags laying around. Don't understand why people pick up their dogs poop in a bag but then leave it....

Bob . · · lyons, co · Joined May 2012 · Points: 10

In Boulder county they collect it and compost it for you. Call the parks and rec department to make a formal complaint.

Stagg54 Taggart · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2006 · Points: 10
Jared Moore wrote:I know it's shitty, but probably they just forgot. No pun intended. I always get mad at this, but then I remember it probably wasn't intentional. I mean, who is going to put their dog's shit in a bag and intentionally leave it? Doesn't make it right, but...
Apparently most dog owners on the front range are forgetful, because you see that everywhere.

I hate to always assume the worst, maybe they're not all assholes, maybe they all have early onset alzheimers?
TBlom · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2004 · Points: 360

I once pooped in a dog bag, but I carried it out.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Just not quite good enough"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started