Mountain Project Logo

2-3 person tent

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276

I got this one last year and am happy, so far. About 3 lbs (if you don't bring all the stakes) and quite roomy. It is $380, though:

sierradesigns.com/lightning…

Morgan Patterson · · NH · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 8,960
FrankPS wrote:I got this one last year and am happy, so far. About 3 lbs (if you don't bring all the stakes) and quite roomy. It is $380, though: sierradesigns.com/lightning…

No vestibule? Qurious how that zipper holds up on that unprotected door in driving rain... leak much?

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Morgan Patterson wrote: No vestibule? Qurious how that zipper holds up on that unprotected door in driving rain... leak much?

I haven't been rained on yet (backpacking in the Sierra). There is a small "awning" over the entrance to the tent. However, if the wind is blowing much (in the direction of the entrance), the awning won't keep all the rain out. Then the zipper gets tested.

Edit: Watch the video on that link. It shows more perspective of the tent, including the awning.

Clint White aka Faulted Geologist · · Lawrence, KS · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 151

My wife and I love the Fly Creek UL3. Fabric is thin but holds up well. One vestibule in the front.

I would go with the BA you selected. Not the lightest, but the setup is similar t the BA FC UL3, just with dual two-pole ends. The two vestibules are handy for keeping gear separate (not an issue with my wife and me), and disturbs other less when u exit. Bonus is you can set up the poles and fly first in rain etc, then build the tent inside. Same with the BA FC2&3. Sweet construction.

On the same tip as that at 5lb3oz is the Marmot Catalyst. I was really disappointed in it, but we bought it to withstand the kids. They demolished the BA Fly Creek UL2 tiny zipper and we had little to spend at the time. $170 is cheap for how roomy the tent is. I wrote a long review here:

rei.com/product/895637/marm…

Look for my user name at the bottom. Setting the slightly smaller vestibule towards the bad weather gives it almost 3.51386 season use, kinda 4 season with more mesh. Big durable zipper. Skip the Velcro on the stupid 3rd pole. Go to REI and set it up on their floor first, and insist on free stakes and guy lines to finish it off proper.

Nathan Self · · Louisiana · Joined Mar 2012 · Points: 90

Kurt,

fyi, big agnes is on sale at campsaver.com

Kurt G · · Monticello, UT · Joined Nov 2012 · Points: 156
Nathan Self wrote:Kurt, fyi, big agnes is on sale at campsaver.com

Thanks, I actually saw that yesterday. I love that it comes with the footprint too!

Matt N · · CA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 476

REI quarter domes are now competitive:
rei.com/product/862425/rei-…

Do you need the tent immediately? Wait for black friday or other sales and the above will likely be very cheap. Or the Copper Spur UL3 might drop in price too. Basically the same tents, but now BA had a better warranty than REI.

Other option (gotta wait for big sales)
Nemo Dagger 3P $499, 4lbs 4oz

FrankPS · · Atascadero, CA · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 276
Kurt G. wrote: Thanks, I actually saw that yesterday. I love that it comes with the footprint too!

In my opinion, a "footprint" (aka: ground cloth) is unnecessary weight.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "2-3 person tent"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.