Mountain Project Logo

Long distance ski-tours?

Original Post
Adam K · · Loveland, CO · Joined Aug 2014 · Points: 0

Day-dreaming about winter today, I've never cross-country skied per se but have backcountry experience....anyways a long overnight tour sounds fun.

Anyone have a favorite long distance ski tour? (USA or Canada)

Not looking for a resort, preferably something point to point self-supported but maybe close enough to civilization in case of emergency.

Maybe 3-7 days or 50-200 miles point to point or something?

Catamount Trail in Vermont looked appealing, and I found a few things in CO that looked okay. I would imagine Montana or Idaho also have something that would foot the bill but a quick google isn't heling me out.

Looking forward to hearing some ideas/experiences.

ChuckSchick · · San Francisco, CA · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 0

JMT is amazing in winter.

Taylor-B. · · Valdez, AK · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 3,186

The Braun Hut system in Colorado is nice. Also, circumnavigating a Cascade volcano in WA or OR is sweet. If your into a suffer fest check out the Winter Alaska Wilderness Classic.

Happy Skin Track:)

Linnaeus · · ID · Joined Aug 2011 · Points: 0

Bonnington Traverse in the Selkirks outside of Nelson, BC would fit the bill.

climbnowworklater · · Colorado Springs · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 10

I'm addicted to hut trips here in CO. I've only visited 4 of them since moving here, but I intend to visit all of them in the next few years. If you wanted a partner for any of these, let me know. I'll be setting up this seasons trips in the next few weeks. As you probably know, there are some great multi-day linkups in our backyard and maybe we could put one of these together.
Jon

Cor · · Sandbagging since 1989 · Joined Mar 2006 · Points: 1,445

The Winds, WY. North to South. About 100 miles.
I have not... G.Lowe has... Seems like it would be an amazing adventure!

Martin le Roux · · Superior, CO · Joined Jul 2003 · Points: 401

The great granddaddy of them all would be Vancouver, BC to Skagway, AK: mountainculturegroup.com/mo…

For mere mortals, in CO there's the Trooper Traverse and the Weminuche Traverse. For longer distances you have to go further north. Chic Scott's "Summits and Icefields" has pages and pages of information about traverses in BC, including the Bonnington Traverse mentioned above and the legendary Bugaboos to Rogers Pass traverse.

BigB · · Red Rock, NV · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 340

Trans-Sierra.... Go!

mark felber · · Wheat Ridge, CO · Joined Jul 2005 · Points: 41

Sierra High Route?

Wow thanks for the great responses everyone!

I'll be sifting through all of these today

Tobin Story · · Woodinville, WA · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 35

Lots of this type of thing in Washington. Look at Ptarmigan Traverse and Isolation Traverse. Also check out Lowell Skoog's website for some inspiration and ideas - alpenglow.org/skiing/cascad… - he's one of the pioneers of big ski traverses here.

Brie Abram · · Celo, NC · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 493

Bugaboos to Rogers Pass. I haven't done it, but I've been eyeballing it for years. I can't imagine a more scenic tour.

I'm sure you've already looked at the Wapta Traverse

Rob Clark · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2012 · Points: 5

Two great ski traverses here in Southcentral AK, the Bomber Traverse and the Eklutna Traverse. A bit shorter than what you mentioned but both are excellent in terms of skiing and adventure.

Thanks - looking at terrain from most of these I think the mileage I was thinking would be insane. I have actually never heard of any of these with the exception of the Sierras and Colorado traverses. Most of my backcountry experience are one day outings.

I was actually envisioning more of more windswept/flatter/less Avy danger routes where you could cover ground faster, but obviously all of these suggestions are amazing and probably a better trip than what I was thinking. Getting some steep turns in along the is probably better than just trudging along flats.

Old lady H · · Boise, ID · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 1,374

The third largest fire in the lower 48, the Pioneer fire, currently smoking up Boise, has taken out one yurt, damaged a second, and is in the process of devastating the countryside around this set of six yurts operated by the Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation. This means they are going to lose a heap of summer rentals, but, ironically, winter recreation may be improved for the survivors. If you want to spend some money where it will be badly needed, you might want to look into it. They are part of an extensive park and ski and cross country ski program run on Forest Service land. Idaho City and Lowman are the two little towns nearest this fire. They kept it off of Idaho City (many historic buildings) on the early side, but it's three miles out of Lowman and gaining 10,000 acres a day. Both rely on summer tourism to stay alive, and the highway connecting the two to Boise, each other, and all those campgrounds, trails, fishing, etc. is closed also.

Thanks, by the way, to whatever state sent over their C130's and I assume some guard guys/gals! Whenever they deploy from Boise (too often), they turn right over our house. Always glad to see them, but wish it wasn't necessary.

This is the third significant fire near Boise in less than a month, and the real fire season (when the lightning strikes get ripping) hasn't even kicked in yet. Best wishes to all the rest of you out there. :-( Helen

Dave Hurst · · somewhat near Boulder CO · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 5
A-K wrote:Thanks - looking at terrain from most of these I think the mileage I was thinking would be insane. I have actually never heard of any of these with the exception of the Sierras and Colorado traverses. Most of my backcountry experience are one day outings. I was actually envisioning more of more windswept/flatter/less Avy danger routes where you could cover ground faster, but obviously all of these suggestions are amazing and probably a better trip than what I was thinking. Getting some steep turns in along the is probably better than just trudging along flats.
Check out the 10th Mountain Hut System; unlike the Braun Huts, and others, there are few avalanche concerns while using the established trails into and between the huts. Huts can be linked for as many days/miles as you want to try, and the scenery is great. The trails are intermediate but can be very long approaches at times; there is no need for heavy AT boots and skis, and in fact the trails can be skied with fairly lightwt nordic equipment; huts are fully equipped, so you only need a sleeping bag and food in addition to day skiing gear. Also, it is only a few easy hours drive from Boulda.
Scott McMahon · · Boulder, CO · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 1,425
climbnowworklater wrote:I'm addicted to hut trips here in CO. I've only visited 4 of them since moving here, but I intend to visit all of them in the next few years. If you wanted a partner for any of these, let me know. I'll be setting up this seasons trips in the next few weeks. As you probably know, there are some great multi-day linkups in our backyard and maybe we could put one of these together. Jon
Holler if you are ever looking for a body to fill a spot at a hut. Splitboarder :o)
climbnowworklater · · Colorado Springs · Joined Sep 2015 · Points: 10
Scott McMahon wrote: Holler if you are ever looking for a body to fill a spot at a hut. Splitboarder :o)
For sure. Don't mind the "splitty" at all. Skinning is skinning. I've got 4 huts booked already but probably have partners (Polar Star, Janets, Broome, Markley). I'm looking to do the Green-Wilson hut to Taggert hut combo sometime April/May so let me know if you want to discuss further.
Benjamin Thomas · · Salt Lake City · Joined Dec 2012 · Points: 5

The High Line Route in the High Uintas of Utah. It a full traverse west to east of the Uintah Range mostly above 10,000 feet.
Shot me text or call if anyone is interested. 503-367-0450 Ben. I'll have a full six months period off starting mid October. Plus I'm down for anything else out there.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Sports
Post a Reply to "Long distance ski-tours? "

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.