Mountain Project Logo

Boreal/ Cypher and other smaller brand shoes in the USA

Original Post
Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110

Living the SF bay area I almost see no Borea, Ocun,l or Cypher shoes, even though I know they both have a pretty extensive line. Honestly seeing more Burota's and Tenaya's out there even though they only have a few shoes.

Is there an area of the USA were there is much larger representation of Boreal or some of the other smaller euro brand? It seems like they are putting out some better/ more interesting product and I'd love to hear from people on if they like it.

Brian · · North Kingstown, RI · Joined Sep 2001 · Points: 804
NorCalNomad wrote:Living the SF bay area I almost see no Borea, Ocun,l or Cypher shoes, even though I know they both have a pretty extensive line. Honestly seeing more Burota's and Tenaya's out there even though they only have a few shoes. Is there an area of the USA were there is much larger representation of Boreal or some of the other smaller euro brand? It seems like they are putting out some better/ more interesting product and I'd love to hear from people on if they like it.
That's funny because "back in the day" Boreal was THE rock climbing shoe in the U.S. Almost everyone owned a pair of ugly black and green Boreal Aces.
Forthright · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Oct 2011 · Points: 110
Brian wrote: That's funny because "back in the day" Boreal was THE rock climbing shoe in the U.S. Almost everyone owned a pair of ugly black and green Boreal Aces.
Yeah, now the only ones I ever see are Jokers that are usually on someone who moved to CA or was visiting CA.
Ken Noyce · · Layton, UT · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 2,648
NorCalNomad wrote:Living the SF bay area I almost see no Borea, Ocun,l or Cypher shoes, even though I know they both have a pretty extensive line. Honestly seeing more Burota's and Tenaya's out there even though they only have a few shoes. Is there an area of the USA were there is much larger representation of Boreal or some of the other smaller euro brand? It seems like they are putting out some better/ more interesting product and I'd love to hear from people on if they like it.
I'm pretty sure that the reason you don't see boreal in the US anymore is because everyone stopped buying them after they realized how badly boreal's rubber sucked. I don't know if they have improved it since the early 2000's when you stopped seeing them over here, but back in the day it was very noticeably inferior to every other rubber out there.
Clovehitch · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2015 · Points: 5

Looks like Backcountry.com has Boreal, as well as Butora, Tenaya.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Boreal/ Cypher and other smaller brand shoes in…"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started