Mountain Project Logo

Ouray Ice Park Jan. 2016

Original Post
Jim Fox · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jun 2014 · Points: 50

Headed to Ouray for my first visit to the Ice Park in early Jan 2016.

My son's first ice climbing trip & my first time on the ice in many years.

Anyone know what it's like there right now? Ice forming ok? Weather cooperating?

Also, any suggestions/tips/comments about the ice park or the town would be appreciated

Thanks.

Ali Jaffri · · Westminster, CO · Joined Jan 2005 · Points: 695

Jim the ice park is not officially open yet but there is backcountry ice to climb. I am assuming you wanted to teach your son climbing in the park itself.

cragmantoo · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 175

Dress warmer than you think you need to. Can also take off a layer.It's often much colder at the bottom than it is up top and might not get much sun.

Ali Jaffri wrote:Jim the ice park is not officially open yet but there is backcountry ice to climb. I am assuming you wanted to teach your son climbing in the park itself.
yeah, thought it would be a good place for him to learn.
We will be there in about a month and was just wondering what it's like there now. It's been pretty warm in the Denver area lately & I'm hoping for fat ice in Jan

bump

Mike Morin · · Glen, NH · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 1,350

Check out the Ouray Ice Park Facebook page.

aany hints/advice on the ice park?
Recommendations for places to eat/things to do in town?
Thanks.

skik2000 · · Boulder · Joined Jun 2013 · Points: 5

Good food is pretty limited in Ouray. SW chicken sandwich at Ouray brewery is good and they have good fries. I've seen some other stuff that didn't look so good. Luckily food tastes better after a long day of climbing.

Ridgway is 15 minutes away and has better options. Tacos des Gnar is good as is Kate's Place for breakfast.

I've heard Orvis Hot Springs is nice but haven't been. I have been to Ouray Hot Springs and would go check out Orvis before going back to OHS. The vapor caves at Wesbaden Hotel are pretty sweet.

alpinerocket Pettijohn · · Salt Lake, Ut · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 60

Things to do in Ouray
1. Climb ICE, lot of it!
2. Visit hot springs lots of choices. Ouray Hot Springs, Orvis and the Wiesbaden. Many hotel have their own.
3. Climb ICE

Advice in the park. Start in the School Room area. Easy access and top rope anchors are strait forward. Many grade options from WI2-WI5. Gets harder Left to Right. People are usually friendly and will share their lines once you have one established. From School Room you can check out South Park and New Funtiers to the south.

Food, Buein Temp, The Irish pub place and the Ouray Brewery are all good.

alpinerocket wrote:Things to do in Ouray 1. Climb ICE, lot of it! 2. Visit hot springs lots of choices. Ouray Hot Springs, Orvis and the Wiesbaden. Many hotel have their own. 3. Climb ICE Advice in the park. Start in the School Room area. Easy access and top rope anchors are strait forward. Many grade options from WI2-WI5. Gets harder Left to Right. People are usually friendly and will share their lines once you have one established. From School Room you can check out South Park and New Funtiers to the south. Food, Buein Temp, The Irish pub place and the Ouray Brewery are all good.
Thanks! I'm psyched to go. South Park opened today, reportedly. I'll probably follow your advice and start at School Room unless it's crazy crowded
alpinerocket wrote:Things to do in Ouray 1. Climb ICE, lot of it! 2. Visit hot springs lots of choices. Ouray Hot Springs, Orvis and the Wiesbaden. Many hotel have their own. 3. Climb ICE Advice in the park. Start in the School Room area. Easy access and top rope anchors are strait forward. Many grade options from WI2-WI5. Gets harder Left to Right. People are usually friendly and will share their lines once you have one established. From School Room you can check out South Park and New Funtiers to the south. Food, Buein Temp, The Irish pub place and the Ouray Brewery are all good.
\Staying At Box Canyon Inn, so they have hot springs on site
alpinerocket Pettijohn · · Salt Lake, Ut · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 60

Ill be staying at the Box Canyon as well. Going in a couple weeks. How about you?

alpinerocket wrote:Ill be staying at the Box Canyon as well. Going in a couple weeks. How about you?
next weekend

Anyone in Ouray now? What's weather doing?
Forecast doesn't look bad but I just talked to someone in Durango who said they got 8" of snow and expect another 10".
I'm planning to drive to Ouray from Denver tomorrow AM

Iceman · · Land of Snow & Ice · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 0
Jim Fox wrote:Anyone in Ouray now? What's weather doing? Forecast doesn't look bad but I just talked to someone in Durango who said they got 8" of snow and expect another 10". I'm planning to drive to Ouray from Denver tomorrow AM
Not much snow in the last 36 hours, 1 or 2 inches in town, more at the higher elevations.

forecast.weather.gov/MapCli…
Iceman wrote: Not much snow in the last 36 hours, 1 or 2 inches in town, more at the higher elevations. forecast.weather.gov/MapCli…
Thanks. Looks like all the heavy snow is further south.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "Ouray Ice Park Jan. 2016"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started