Mountain Project Logo

The 2013-2014 Colorado Ice Conditions Thread

Jim Clarke · · Summit Park, UT · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 1,656

Are the rumors true? Can it be that The Smear of Fear is actually back in condition? Also, how's Vail looking…Designator etc.

Kirk Miller · · Catalina, AZ and Ilwaco, WA · Joined May 2003 · Points: 1,824

Desi. was fun early last Monday, felt a bit steeper than last time I was on it, had some wetness going though, drips and some soft ice, we were glad to get out before it got too warm. Fang was still up.

Jonathan Awerbuch · · Boulder, Colorado · Joined Nov 2013 · Points: 41

Here is a photo of the diamond from yesterday.

Diamond, 3/12/2014.

Knockneed Man · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2008 · Points: 45
A.P.Lee wrote:does anyone know how redstone is doing?
Hays is gone and freeflowing
ROC · · Denver, CO · Joined Feb 2003 · Points: 155

Anyone been up to Silver Plume lately? Just curious if it's still in.

Thanks!!!

MTN MIA · · Vail · Joined May 2006 · Points: 405

Vail ice is fat and fun!
Did Designator and The Fang yesterday. Several fun variations at different grades are possible.

jmeizis · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2008 · Points: 230

Lake City update: anything south facing is gone. Sherman is in but mostly buried. Walking on the crust to get to anything is best in the morning. Ice park is still going but things are melting quick. River crossing will be gone soon enough. Saw a moose! The extent of what I actually climbed was next to nil :-(

Kristen Mcculloch · · Boulder, CO · Joined Aug 2012 · Points: 25

Has anyone been to Lincoln Falls recently? On March 5th it was avi conditions, slides, spindrifts, & cornices, so we walked away.

FYI: Vail is pretty solid still!! If anyone wants to meet us tomorrow (Sunday March 16), please let me know! We led on the rock/ mixed portions today to set up top ropes, but we lack ice-screws!

Janette · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 230

Anyone know if Total Abandon or Blind Assumption is back in?

phil wortmann · · Colorado Springs, Co. · Joined Feb 2005 · Points: 1,186

TA is rarely in shape in the Spring, usually it dries out over the winter and doesnt return.

BA is much more sheltered and is typically in its best shape in May and even June.

Timmy Foulkes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 20

Has anyone been to Lincoln Falls recently? On March 5th it was avi conditions, slides, spindrifts, & cornices, so we walked away.

Lincoln is still pretty good as of Saturday, March 15. The left flow is really wet on the left and really interesting on the right. The main flow is good. The majority of it is covered in snow but the top is sweet. The low pillar and the pillars up high and right are still in but really hacked. Watch out for the ever expanding fracture on the upper right pillars middle section. All in all, still a good place to climb ice for a bit longer. Have fun

Ben Coryell · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2009 · Points: 25

Has anyone been up to Black Lake recently? How are things looking? In particular, West Gully. Thanks.

John Collis · · Moab · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 283

Does anyone have any really recent info on conditions in the San Juans? Specifically wondering about Ames ice hose and bridalveil. Are they still in the same shape as the last posted photos or has it been too warm? What about camp bird?

MtnLife · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2013 · Points: 45

West Gulley is in good condition and Stoneman looks great right now.

Stoneman.

Martin Barnett · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2006 · Points: 95
Janette · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2011 · Points: 230

Thanks for the updates guys! Two questions..

- Anyone know what it's like for Dark Star or Necrophilia right now?

- Has anyone been up to Mount Evans lately? Any ice? What's the approach like?

Dave Weaver · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 0

Has anyone seen the Shroud lately? Hoping the avy risk is down there.

Dave Weaver · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2008 · Points: 0

Has anyone been to Hidden Falls lately. Anything left?

LIV Veraldi · · Lone Tree, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 495
Dave Weaver wrote:Has anyone seen the Shroud lately? Hoping the avy risk is down there.
Was there last Saturday. Huge slide had happened already (probably quite a while before) and made it down all of the way and covered the road.

There is only a little snow in the gully now above it.

Left side was good but with some running water - I was still able to get good screws in. Middle is chopped out.
Shroud lead and conditions.
Jeremy Joseph · · Glenwood Springs, CO · Joined May 2011 · Points: 435
Dave Weaver wrote:Has anyone been to Hidden Falls lately. Anything left?
Top pitch is visible from the road. I imagine that its all still there, just might be a bit wet. I would bet the river is a bit high to use the rope. My partner and I got wet going across a month ago. Might have to walk up a bit and cross.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "The 2013-2014 Colorado Ice Conditions Thread"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started