Mountain Project Logo

Starved Rock Ice 2013/14

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280
Leo Hski wrote:Bill Lenz on Wildcat- 30 years ago!
You sure that's Wildcat? Looks like the 'Snake' over in Tonti from the formation,,don't see the ledges to the right that make up Wildcat. Snake'(or Fang as noob's call it) is waay more wicked a climb.
Leo Hski · · Basalt CO · Joined Nov 2006 · Points: 220
Woodchuck ATC wrote: You sure that's Wildcat? Looks like the 'Snake' over in Tonti from the formation,,don't see the ledges to the right that make up Wildcat. Snake'(or Fang as noob's call it) is waay more wicked a climb.
You're probably correct- the two formations (the ones Bill and Steve were on) were right across from each other.
marcin · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2013 · Points: 140

Ice at Tonti was awesome Sunday.
Kyle went for the advanced move

kyle trying the advanced moves

Shane Simmons · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2014 · Points: 0

I have an excellent opportunity for ice climbers. I am a reporter with channel 8 in the Quad Cities. So you know this is legit, here is the link to my page: wqad.com/author/wqadshanesi… ... We want to go to Starved Rock State park and film, interview ice climbers this Friday March 7 before the ice melts. PLEASE GIVE ME A CALL at 765-437-4554. This is going to be a great story... We just need some climbers!

John Hein · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 65
Double J · · Sandy, UT · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 3,931

John, Was this recent? And not sure if that is the fang or the snake...

the over hang route,(my first photo) is across from tonte, 2011,
the right edge route, (my 2nd photo) is tonte, the same day, and the third photo is tonte a few weeks ago.

Juggler Jones · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 1,185

Great climbing at SRSP today... dripping and soft...

WCat

we went to Munising last weekend, here is a shot from that trip

ampitheater, Grand Island 3-1-14

Dmetri, leading the "Near Left Side" we had six inches of snow on us this day

Dmetri leading Tonte 2- 27- 14

Juggler Jones · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2009 · Points: 1,185
John Hein wrote:we went to Munising last weekend, here is a shot from that trip
hmmmm....SRSP thread? ;)
John Hein wrote:
This one looks like the main falls, (right side of canyon) in Tonti. That's the Mongoose'. The left side falls, which often dont' form all the way, is the Snake', or some call the Fang. To clarify for all those who get confused, the Snake and the Mongoose were nicknames for famous drag race drivers of the 70's. The names got labeled to the climbs on the first known climbs of those formations, back in about 80- 81'.
Both pics look like the main ice falls,'Mongoose', due to the amount of overhanging rock attached to top of ice, and a 'backside' to start up and move around to finish. The Snake is pretty much free standing, with very little rock attached at the top, unless a wide curtain forms across it. The base of it is usually a big tall cauliflower pile for like 30 ft, then 50plus of the very vertical and often scary thin connection to the top. I've not been down there yet this winter to see the Tonti ice. Are BOTH of them formed, or did you climb only on the main falls at back, right side of canyon? The left one, the Snake, forms from a highway runoff stream and often is only hanging down 15 ft with no formation. How's it look there, one or both formed this week?

do you see a spot to post for munising? I felt, the Midwest, is close enough, but i am new to posting anything, so if I need directions, please feel free to help.

Leo Hski wrote:Bill Lenz on Wildcat- 30 years ago!
Yup, that's the Snake, to the left in Tonti Canyon. I've got very similar pics from winter 84, and probably could almost come up with the date or week from my extensive ice records of every climb and every outing I've taken there for over 35 years. Looks like a formation from that winter for sure.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Starved Rock Ice 2013/14"

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started.