A friend and I were thinking of trying to get out to the Black this week but I've been hearing it's getting mighty hot. Depending on what we want to climb we could be in the clear...if we get an early start and choose the right wall that would be in the shade. Was looking to knock out the easier classics (Maiden Voyage, Russian Arete, Casual Route, etc.) Can anyone lend any advice?
Maiden Voyage and Casual are the shadiest of those listed. Maybe consider the South Rim. Like Ground Control to Major Tom and Blackjack, at least those face North. Yes, your about a month late for the prime Black season, but every one has a different heat tolerance. Hope that helps.
If you can get down there to climb a short route in the early AM that stays in the shade, you'll probably be okay. But if you're down there during the witching hour, expect to cook..... Maiden Voyage would be a great place to start, but the hike out will be wicked hot.
I did Russian Arete one time when the conditions were good i.e. not too hot and it seemed to get a lot of sun and be too hot. My partner and I both had three liters a piece and ran out near the end of the real climbing with all the scrambling left at the top. Keep the descent/approach and walk off around the rim of the canyon in mind.