Mountain Project Logo

surfing and wave sailing

DaveF Farkas · · Durango, CO · Joined Sep 2010 · Points: 20

watched Bustin Down the Door last nite. Epic. you gotta see it if you haven't.

Olaf Mitchell · · Paia, Maui, Hi, · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 4,190
Big Drop
youtube.com/watch?feature=p…

DaveF Thanks for mentioning this Great documentary about piece of history.I checked out the trailer for "Busting Down The Door". I saw it a while back and REALLY enjoyed it!
I invite every one to check out the web site,view the trailer and read the story that changed the coarse of competitive surfing for ever.
Dakine!
bustindownthedoor.com/flash…
Note: I lived on the north shore for a while during this period and lets say: It was a volatile period in North Shore History!.

From OCEAN DEFENDER - Hawaii
Gerry Lopez
Legendary Hawaiian Waterman Gerry Lopez... Not many people can say they've single-handedly changed the course of a sport. Fewer still have done so with all the casualness of a cat licking its haunches. Gerry Lopez not only made Pipeline the world's most important wave, he made the tube the ultimate prize in surfing. Lopez was born in Honolulu, the son of a newsman for the city's Bulletin and Advertiser. When Lopez got serious about surfing in high school, his hero was Paul Strauch -- his style and grace would be Lopez's reference point. At Ala Moana in the mid-'60s, Lopez witnessed his first tuberides, and the wave became his training ground. Along with Reno Abellira, he was a protege of the much-in-demand Dick Brewer. He pursued a degree in architecture from the University of Hawaii from 1967-'69, then dropped out and became the epitome of the new age surfer.

Gerry Lopez @ Pipeline Photographed by Sean Davey

The shortboard revolution/hippie generation needed an archetype, and it was Lopez. He discovered yoga, meditation and psychedelia around the time he began shaping under the tutelage of Surfline Honolulu's Chris Green. Jock Sutherland, who had been the king at Pipeline, left to serve in the military, and Lopez eased onto the throne. The barrel at Pipe had been surveyed, but not fully explored. During the epic winter of 1969-'70, Lopez set the standard for riding the tube at the world's most dangerous break. Suddenly, nothing else mattered in surfing. The barrel was now hallowed ground, and the barrel at Pipe was Shangri La.
Jerry Lopez Photographed by Jeff Divine

In 1971, Lopez established Lightning Bolt surfboards with Jack Shipley. The trademark, fueled by the Lopez aura, came to represent Hawaiian surfing. Virtually every top pro rode the boards on the North Shore during the '70s. When the company devolved into a power struggle, Lopez sold his portion and made a clean exit to a 20-acre ranch he bought on Maui.

Jerry Lopez Photo from OCEAN DEFENDER - Hawaii
By the mid-'70s, the North Shore's crowds drove Lopez to seek asylum. After relocating to Maui in 1973, began exploring Indonesia in search of empty perfection. He was one of the first at Uluwatu and G-Land, where he spent months gearing up for winter at Pipe

CLICK THIS LINK FOR A GREAT INTERVIEW WITH JERRY
abc.net.au/lateline/content…

"Check this out...A shot from "Gordinho" from 1987, the first time Pipeline was sailed. He digitally fixed up the picture... stoked!!"
By: Robby Naish

Robbie Naish windsurfing Pipeline Photo:Gordino

Levi Siver is a dominant force in the north shore Maui wave sailing scene. He is a team rider and equipment design and test engineer for Quatro and Goya.
He is a founding member of Positive-H2O a foundation committed to environmental awareness and clean water for every one on this planet.

vimeo.com/35699796

Levi Siver Photo: Olaf Mitchell

Levi Siver Photo: Olaf Mitchell

mauioceansports.blogspot.co…

This is some kine stuff. Hang out with the Maui Jaws Paddle in crew as they talk story about their new passion, Paddling into Jaws. There is some good video of this crew charging the wave that many thought to be unpaddleable. These guys are my neighbors here on the north shore.
Click the link below for the video a of these young chargers.
dakine.com/surf/video/actio…

DAKINE Paddles Peahi "Paddling Peahi" is about the newly explored realm of paddling Jaws (Peahi), without the assistance of a jetski. Ian Walsh, Albee Layer, Matt Meola, a friends have been trying to figure out the best way approach what was once thought to be impossible. Factoring in swell direction, tides, wind, crowds, and most importantly, equipment. These young chargers have been defying all odds and making history at the same time.

Check out my latest interview with Pascal Bronnimann for Maui Windsurfing
mauiwindsurfing.blogspot.co…

Pascal Bronnimann Photo: Olaf Mitchell

youtube.com/watch?feature=p…
Check out this video by my friend Jake Miller of a classic north shore day this winter.I am sure that you will enjoy it.

A group of climber/surfers over on another web site have been exploring and sharing their thoughts,feelings and experiences of how climbing and surfing compliment each other.It's very difficult to compare the two but there have been some interesting insight in the posts.
Here's one of my posts about a day back in 1980 on the North shore of Oahu.

Olaf bouldering on the beach at Waimea Bay
Olaf's journal entry
Olaf 1980
The view through our patio door of Waimea Bay

Paul Hunnicutt · · Boulder, CO · Joined Sep 2006 · Points: 325

STOP posting here. I'm finally fine with climbing, biking, hiking here in Colorado. Now I have to keep reading about why the F*ck I'm not living at the beach with 80 degree weather, bikinis, water and waves all over. just stop it already! :)

Actually it is super inspiring to think about getting out to Hawaii one day so keep it up!

I've never been surfing (except once at the Outer Banks in crazy windy chop - no waves caught...wayyyyy to big for my first time...lucky I didn't drown). Sort of the 'final frontier' so it has to happen one of these days.

Tracy Harrap and her friend at the launch at Kuau Photo: Ellen
Please click on the link highlighted below for more of the story
mauiwindsurfing.blogspot.co…
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Sports
Post a Reply to "surfing and wave sailing"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started