Mountain Project Logo

surfing and wave sailing

Olaf Mitchell · · Paia, Maui, Hi, · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 4,190
trundlebum wrote:"Alex Aguera" Ahhhh that's the name I was looking for. Super nice guy. Does he still often sail with a big floppy hat ?
I would imagine he dose although the Alex that I mentioned in the earlier post is Alex Robert

Alex Aguera is a past World Champion in Windsurfing that has been making top of the line windsurfing boards for the past 20 years and has now started making SUP's for fishing and state of the art Kite race boards. He's on fb as well.

After so many months of back to back swells and often good wind accompanying them we are in somewhat of a slump.
I have been getting out either surfing or wave sailing at least twice a week lately and I guess if I tried harder I could find acceptable conditions somewhere on this island most every day. Looking back at my posts here in this forum I guess it really hasn’t been all that long since we had good conditions.

I have mentioned that one of our favorite local stores here on the north shore is out of business and received several comments from Mountain Project ers. I am going to mention it one more time and then let it go for good.
This a response I wrote to a friend of mine asking me WTF?

Marcia,
In a nutshell, their rent was raised to an amount that they just couldn't afford continue doing business after the term of their lease agreement expired.
The landlord is within his legal rights to set the rent at what he feels is par for the property in this real-estate market.

After all business is business.

Let me briefly bring you up to date.
After 18 years of doing business in the same spot. This family owned and run local market shut their doors. By family run I mean often there would be as many as three generations of Numura’s in the store. Often you would see Fred and Fred Jr. Numora off loading supplies. Leona was always lending a sincere ear to anyone’s problem, cause, or issue. Tina and Summer would be attending to the bricks and mortar of the daily running of the store. There would often be grand children and even great grand children behind that counter. As soon as one of the kids got old enough they were working in the store ether stocking, cleaning, serving plate lunches, or manning the cash register.

IMO: Their prices were fair and credit was always extended when it was asked for. That’s just how the Numura’s roll!

There is a lot of emotion over this change in our community and many of us are feeling what can only be described as a void.

Aunty Leona treated each and every one of us like we were her (ʻohana holoʻokoʻa) extended family.

I provided their credit card processing for many years. They were a small but very steady account.

Several years back Leona retired from the daily running of the store and turned the business over to her two daughters Summer and Tina. They continued to provide the same caliber of personal care and service to the north shore community up until last Friday.

On Saturday a street was closed in Kuau and many of their friends and family gathered for an old fashioned Block Party!

Thanks for your concern,
Olaf

The Party was very well attended by many local council members and government officials.
The surf and wind surf community was well represented here’s a few but not nearly all of the attendees:
Josh Sampiero the executive editor of Windsurf Magazine,
Samantha Bittner the director of The American Windsurfing Tour and the current holder of the prestigious Kuau Cup Award
Giampaolo Cammarota the creator of the internationally acclaimed blog Maui Surf Report
Ian Walsh the famous big wave surfer dude
Many of the local sail designers and board builders were there as well.
The Kuau Yacht club was well represented with the likes of Tom,J-Bird,Dean,TRacy,Sam,Josh,GP,Mike,Raggs,Trever,Smark,odude,Schmitty,Kai,Art,Russ, crocko,and a lot more.
I covered the event in my blog for Maui Ocean Sports Magazine
There was plenty of ”ono grinds”. They served the last batch of the famous Kuau Mart Shoyu Chicken.
The band played for free and the dancing went on until the kegs ran out and Maui Police came to brake up the shindig at about mid night.
Here's a link to my photographic coverage of the Block Party For Kuau Mart

rockerwaves.blogspot.com/20…

Heyun · · Charleston S.C. · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 455

Shame someone like Laird, who has to be a Multi Millionaire by now, or some of the other "Super Celebs" don't pitch in and buy them a place to operate.

I rekon it's easy for me to say what I'd do ifn I was rich, since I'm not.

Business is business as you say but greed does suck and I'd bet the owner of the building isn't exactly strapped for cash....

Sigh.

Another board, which I no longer have.... only 2 boards I've ever had do I no longer have. This 1st custom ever I think got triple hardner beacause it was horribly built and would crack if you looked at it sideways. I was surfing it in Cardiif when a side fin busted out. I was so mad I busted the other one off with a rock (much to the amusement of the peanut gallery on the beach) and surfed it as a squirrely single fin for the rest of my stay (on my way to Maui in 87)

Left the board and the girl in California... she wanted success and limelight, I wanted to run around the jungle naked, surf and smoke weed....

Sigh.

Frekkin hippies :)

Hayne von Kolnitz wrote: Left the board and the girl in California... she wanted success and limelight, I wanted to run around the jungle naked, surf and smoke weed.... Sigh.
Hayne,I hope that you both got what you were looking for! From the sounds of your posts I would say you did!That board sounds jinxed any way! And I know that you found another one or twenty! Thanks for posting!
Hookipa the other day Photo: Olaf Mitchell

I had a great session today!

I just posted this article in our online magazine and I would like to share it with my Mountain Project Friends. These guys are not only my friends but they are my heroes as well.
It's really cool when people really take ACTION!!
mauioceansports.blogspot.co…

I just put this article together for "Windsurfing Maui" It's part of our online magazine Maui Ocean Sports Magazine.
click on this link - mauiwindsurfing.blogspot.com/

Robbie Nash at Jaws 1/20/11 Photo: Olaf Mitchell

harraik · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2011 · Points: 0

Yeah, Olaf! I definitely enjoy both. I used to climb a lot as a kid--and really enjoyed it--but I would always do it seasonally between skiing/snowboarding in the winter, and windsurfing/surfing in the summer. I got to be a pretty decent gym climber but always ran out of time right about the point that I was going to finally learn how to lead. Because of that I am a life-long climber, but a pretty mediocre one. Luckily I was able to progress much more with my surfing, and didn't get stuck in a rut like I did with my climbing. I have been getting back into it, but I am really more interested in Mountaineering right now. Still just a complete novice, but I invested in a Mountain Hardware Trango tent, and I have been doing overnighters out on Mt. Hood and starting to build up my skills...

harraik wrote:Yeah, Olaf! I definitely enjoy both. I used to climb a lot as a kid--and really enjoyed it--but I would always do it seasonally between skiing/snowboarding in the winter, and windsurfing/surfing in the summer. I got to be a pretty decent gym climber but always ran out of time right about the point that I was going to finally learn how to lead. Because of that I am a life-long climber, but a pretty mediocre one. Luckily I was able to progress much more with my surfing, and didn't get stuck in a rut like I did with my climbing. I have been getting back into it, but I am really more interested in Mountaineering right now. Still just a complete novice, but I invested in a Mountain Hardware Trango tent, and I have been doing overnighters out on Mt. Hood and starting to build up my skills...
Welcome!

Welcome Harriak! This is a very friendly place as I am sure you can tell by the past posts!We got a good crew of cross sports enthusiasts here on Mountain Project!
BTW: Kuau was so Gnarly this afternoon!
She was like a demon with her hair on fire!
I didn't have a very good time and I didn't get even one really good wave.
When I tried to get in, the current was so strong in the channel that even though I had wind in my sail I was being pulled backwards. I tried to swim against the flow but I was locked in the same place for longer than you would believe. I got real tired of challenging the ocean so I turned around,water started and went back out to sea.
This seemed to be a good plan till I got completely over powered. I mean I couldn't even water start my 4.7 on the outside.
After a while I did get my water start and sailed back toward the channel.
After the experience that I described before I chose a more aggressive approach and came in above the rock and through the narrow channel. I have made this approach a few times in the past and have had success about 50% of the time.
Today I was sorta fortunate.
I didn't hit any big rocks and I didn't get hurt!
So There!
Welcome aboard my friend!

Hank Caylor · · Livin' in the Junk! · Joined Dec 2003 · Points: 643

GAWD I miss Paia so much Olaf! Have some coconut/macadamia encrusted calamari for me will ya'?

Hank Caylor wrote:GAWD I miss Paia so much Olaf! Have some coconut/macadamia encrusted calamari for me will ya'?
Hank, I would rather share them with you Dude!

North shores - A new north-northwest swell will arrive Wednesday, increasing into Thursday, lasting for several days…gradually dropping into the weekend. As the trade winds get stronger now, there will be more chop, and there will be some wind swell wrap locally as well. A new NW swell will arrive right after the weekend, giving another boost to these shores then

Sounds like a good forcast... we finally got some waves here, still not head high though, but the winds been on it. Hoping for the weekend.... Daylight savings can't come soon enough, late evening sessions will be possible again.

Looky what I just got about an hour ago.... freebie 7'10" Clark Foam blank, hoping to get a 7'7" out of it...the nose is kind of messed up might only get a 7'5" and a half three quaters or something.... anyway, SCORE!

I have a buddy that started shaping a while back and has a little shop out in the "country".. stay tuned

Clark Foam

Clark Foam bottom

Clark Foam deck

Hayne,I'm looking forward to a blow by blow account of your new project so please post along as develops.

It's game on around here at least for a while.

I went out yesterday and the swell hadn't got in here yet. It was still good to get out on the ocean for a while.
The view from my house leads me to believe that this swell isn't real big but to be honest with you I don't need it to be real big today I need it to be real good today!

I am all about people that are trying to make a difference Please chick out my latest post in "Maui Surfing"
mauisurfing.blogspot.com/20…

"Olaf Back Side" Original oil by Karen Lang

Sweet painting... She does nice work!

Here is my vision for the blank. I've been messing with this cardboard for about a year... 7'7" roundy pintail, 15 1/2+ nose, 14 tail, 21 widepoint... the tail on the cardboard, the one on the right side is pulled in more, I'm trying to decide whether to go pinnyer or more round on the tail...considering we haven't had overhead waves in 5 months, maybe I should go more round and use the left side template???

Dark blue wrapped rails, blue bolt....

Hope Gerry doesn't sue me for copyright infringment.

Allen Hill · · FIve Points, Colorado and Pine · Joined Jun 2004 · Points: 1,410

Olaf, surf or flee? We need you for the Dolomite trip!

Allen Hill wrote:Olaf, surf or flee? We need you for the Dolomite trip!
Allen,
I am honnerd !

Here's a photo that I took of Harriak at one of the parties during "The 2010 Pistol River Wave Bash". He's standing next to the official Wave Bash Poster that he created.

official wave bash poster
Hayne wrote: "Hope Gerry doesn't sue me for copyright infringement."
Looks like you're off to a good start on your latest project thanks for the up date,Hayne. BTW: I like the rounder tail profile but that just me. I have always thought that the Gerry Lopez lightning bolt was the coolest logo ever. It really makes a strong statement. IMHO: Copying is the greatest form of flattery!

Well the news around here is "tsunami"
My heart goes out to our brothers and sisters in Japan.
The media coverage of that disaster is the most graphic that I have ever seen.
Here on Maui we experienced a 6ft. tsunami that caused some minor flooding and it rearranged our beaches a bit. But that's about it.

On Thursday, the day of the earth quake I sailed mast high waves at Kuau. I had a very hard time penetrating the impact zone and it took me a long time to get through. Once I got outside I sailed around and a bit to let my adrenaline level out some. Then I went about the business of wave sailing and what a session it was. I rode countless well over mast high waves. And that’s really all that I can say about that,other than, I was trying to be careful not to get caught inside. I did get caught inside a few times but really paid very little penalty.
At the end of my sesh I caught a nice wave in just the right spot to get a nice smack on the top of the wave and then sprint for the narrow gap in the rocks that leads to the launch.
All was going well until I hit the current that was flowing out of the channel like a Colorado mountain stream at spring runoff. When I fell in I was in the epicenter of the flow. It’s a very disheartening feeling to be in the grip of a force that you have no chance of fighting. I know the drill and started to work my way across the flow and get into the inward serge. I wasn’t having much luck and I was being pulled back out to sea.
That’s when I saw Dean start swimming out to help. I relaxed a bit knowing that the cavalry was on its way!
When dean arrived I told him that I was glad to see him and that I was having a bit of trouble with the current and it seemed stronger than usual. His reply was “You’re not the only one that’s had a hard time today.”
We both addressed the task of braking free of the hold that the current had on my sailboard rig. I remember at one point saying, “Dean we aren’t making any progress at all!” He said, “Yes we are!” But I knew that we really weren’t and feared that we might have to abandon the rig and swim in.
Finally we started making some very slow progress. That’s when Tom swam out to help with the effort.
It took three of us to negotiate the last 30 meters.
Once on the beach it was like the whole Kuau Yacht Club was assembled and there was a case Corona.
We hadn’t had a gathering like that in some time so we all sat around and talked story and watched another rescue from the current and had a couple of cold beverages.

When I got home I found out that the entire beach was being evacuated. Our neighbor sent out a message for anyone needing a place to come up here. They had quite a few people accept their hospitality. So there was a fairly late party at the neighbor’s house.

Yesterday"Friday,3/11/11" will be referred to as “Tsunami Friday" from here on. All of the "Maui County Beaches" were closed and most people were staying out of the ocean. The waves were still substantial although probably not as big as the day before.

After examining the situation throughly I decided to go out and get some waves. I had a much easier time getting through the impact zone than I did on Thursday. Also the wind was much steadier than Thursday as well. I rode a bunch of great waves until nearly dark.
Once again I worked my way to weather and positioned myself in a good place to catch my last wave of the day and head for the channel. It wasn’t long until I was presented with a medium/large wave and I did the usual drop in and smack it once and then head for the channel.
The water was so rough at the mouth of the channel that I fell in. I looked at the distance that I had to swim to get in and after my experience the day before I decided to water start and go back out through the impact zone. I sailed up wind a ways before I turned around and made another try at the channel. This time I chose another approach. I decided to go through the even narrower gap to the Hookipa side of the big rock at the entry to the channel. Like I have expressed in previous posts I don’t have a very good success rate with this approach but there are advantages to this approach and that is even though there are many rocks to avoid ether by slipping through and over. There's always the chance of breaking your gear and possibly injuring yourself. The current in this place is pushing you in rather than pushing you out to sea.
I made it around the rock OK but I was knocked off balance and fell on top of a rock that was only about a foot under water. I landed right on my butt and my rig was swept away from me by the next wave. I swam hard after it and just as I caught it the next wave hit me. Did I say this route that I chose had a lot of rocks? Well, I am swimming over barely submerged rocks and getting pummeled while all the time, I was being pushed closer toward the beach. The peanut gallery that was assembled on the beach was having a fine time watching all this happen. In reality the rough landing was far less stressful than fighting the current.
When I got to the beach I got a few raised eyebrows but no one said a word about my sketchy landing.
Once again there was even more drama in the channel and a rescue had to be preformed for every one to watch.

What a wild couple of days on the Ocean!

Here's a few Images that I took in the last couple days.

Hookipa on Thursday

Lanes Thursday

Mike Siopes at the launch

Dean has helped me more than once

view from my back yard Thursday

The peanut gallery rockerwaves.blogspot.com/20…

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Other Sports
Post a Reply to "surfing and wave sailing"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started