Mountain Project Logo

The 2010 Colorado Ice Conditions Thread

Steve Towne · · Longmont, CO · Joined Oct 2006 · Points: 305

Climbed East Gully (silk road) 1st Flatiron 10 Feb. Good thin ice, followed by solid snow on first pitch. Second pitch snow covered rock. Challenging climbing, see route page for pics/info.

Chris Plesko · · Westminster, CO · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 485
Captain America wrote:Climbed East Gully (silk road) 1st Flatiron 10 Feb. Good thin ice, followed by solid snow on first pitch. Second pitch snow covered rock. Challenging climbing, see route page for pics/info.
We got it on Saturday. Challenging for sure but so fun! Probably gone now :)
icic-jess · · Breckenfridge · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 115
Ryan Marsters · · Golden, CO · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 1,431

Coors (pretty sure - E of Little Eiger) 2/19 - also saw a group on the upper falls and a party at Mickey's.

Coors, 2/19.

Lincoln Falls on 2/13

Lincoln, 2/13.

Eric and Lucie · · Boulder, CO · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 140

Does anyone know the conditions on The Squid?

Andrew Mayer · · Driggs, ID · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 131

Anyone know recent conditions for any of the eureka ice outside of silverton? heading down to ski this weekend and looking to get on some ice as well.

thanks

Scott Bower · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined May 2003 · Points: 25
Eric and Lucie wrote:Does anyone know the conditions on The Squid?
It looked pretty lean today. It is also a long way (40+ feet) from touching down. Sorry, no pictures.
icic-jess · · Breckenfridge · Joined Oct 2009 · Points: 115
"Anyone know recent conditions for any of the eureka ice outside of silverton? heading down to ski this weekend and looking to get on some ice as well."

mantana-
I was down there mid feb. and conditions were prime! FAT- but avi danger was out of control so we had to avoid many of the classic routes that can be found in the camp bird area- through I hear that whore house and stairway to heaven are both looking great- as well as the ribbon... skylight is apparently beat to shit- but there are potentially new ice formations up there as well.

Have fun down there the ice should be good- keep an eye out for dangerous avi conditions...
Ouray Mountain Sports · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 0

Everything in Eureka is still super fat and well worth taking a day to hit the ice! Avy conditions are rated considerable on all aspects this morning. Keep an eye out for the lode above the climbs (you can see Stairway's from the road) and for freshly formed wind slabs that may release. Tricia

Bryan Vernetson · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Nov 2008 · Points: 130

Big T and Loch Vale are both in. Mixed climbing in the park has been pretty stellar to. Even Nymph lake, for the short walk, is worth a half day or something from the Frontrange.

Any report from the Redstone fest? How are the conditions there?

white-knuckled.blogspot.com/

matt.l.b · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2008 · Points: 25

Anyone know what jaws looks like?

Tits McGee · · Boulder, CO · Joined Apr 2008 · Points: 260
matt.l.b wrote:Anyone know what jaws looks like?
Look outside and at the thermometer - If it's sunny and 50, jaws probably isn't looking good. Your best bet is probably Sat/Sun a.m. - The lows are looking good and there is some snow in the forecast...
Yonkonian Yonkers · · Fort Collins, CO · Joined Jan 2009 · Points: 15

-BryanV

Was there last weekend. Ended up doing Avacado Gully, Marble Falls, and Redstone pillar. Great time.

Marble Falls.

Redstone Pillar.

ozman · · CO / NM · Joined Jan 2011 · Points: 510

Any idea on conditions around wolf creek? Anybody know if treasure falls is in?

Sam Feuerborn · · Carbondale · Joined Aug 2009 · Points: 810

ooh +1 for treasure falls i keep looking at the posts on here. If anyone from durango is looking for a weekend partner feel free to hit me up. I don't have a full set of screws but i feel comfortable leading up to WI 5. and i would love to head out towards treasure falls.

Loweball · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2005 · Points: 180

Drove through Wolf Creek in both directions Thursday and Friday. Was not able to partake of the goodies because of . . . well, everything just winds up being an excuse, right? In any event, without actually touching anything, I can safely attest that Wolf Creek is fat. Everywhere. Treasure Falls looks like Bridalveil. Down low on the east side, about three or four miles west of South Fork, several flows have formed up that are essentially belay-from-your-car. More thin and mixed potential throughout than I've ever seen.

Go get some.

T-Bob · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2006 · Points: 50

You guys are killing me. I'm stuck in NC with 50+ degree weather.
Keeping getting after it.

T-bob

Noah McKelvin · · Colorado Springs, CO · Joined Jul 2010 · Points: 1,500

Does anyone have any recent pictures or updates on the Fang in Vail?

Loweball · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jun 2005 · Points: 180

Drove past it and took a good gander Saturday and Sunday. Not connected, but the cone is bigger than I've ever seen it. it probably goes up to 3/4 height.

Chris Plesko · · Westminster, CO · Joined Oct 2007 · Points: 485

Fang is definitely not connected. Cone is huge and the top part is leaning really funny. I wouldn't be surprised if it falls over. The top is not forming downward very well either :(

This is as of Friday standing behind it.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "The 2010 Colorado Ice Conditions Thread"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started