Mountain Project Logo

Ice farming in Illinois

Original Post
Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,280

Yup. I've given up on any ice forming at Starved Rock this season. So in a sudden urge to do something with the severe cold spell, I joined with a couple friends in starting our own little 'farmed' ice formation. Location to remain secret, of course. It isn't going to be as spectacular as the Peabody Ice climbing club in Fenton Michigan, but a frozen silo is still the thing to do in desperate times.

Here's the first 36 hours worth of frozen efforts. Hope to have it sturdy and ready to go by this coming weekend. About 35-40 ft. high is what we've got. Would appreciate any good tips or hints on how to avoid the frozen shut hoses and how to get the best results from those of you out there who have made similar climbable backyard ice.

First 36 hours

About golf ball sized cauliflower

Bill Lamoreux · · South Lake Tahoe, CA · Joined Oct 2010 · Points: 30

Just one concern. Those looks like some old silos. Is it safe to add all that weight to them? Hate to see them collapse. They are made for holding outward internal pressures not so much with outward external forces. Just a thought.

Caleb Cerling · · Boulder, CO · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 55

You might try getting into contact with these folks in Iowa. I haven't been out there to check it out but I know they've been doing the same thing for the past few years. Judging by their pictures it looks like they know what they're doing.

Silo Ice Climbing

Bill Lamoreux wrote:Just one concern. Those looks like some old silos. Is it safe to add all that weight to them? Hate to see them collapse. They are made for holding outward internal pressures not so much with outward external forces. Just a thought.
This one is solid concrete with all those steel bands intact every 3 feet. It's been used for toprope rock climbing for many years already.

More ice on day 3.

Day 3 ice

Wider ice forming now.
Brian Arms · · Minnesota · Joined Dec 2009 · Points: 21

What are you using for your nozzle? I have had great success using soaker hoses. They put out a mist which I have found freezes really well. I have also used a "spot sprinkler" which I super glue some of the holes shut to decrease the flow rate. I however do not have a structure to farm on, instead my ice is free standing. I just use conduit to raise the sprinkler up high and let the water flow down.

Brent Butcher · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 275

Woodchuck,

There are some landscaping irrigation materials that heat the hose which keeps the hose warm enough to stop ice from clogging the nozzle. We used this hose and it helped us build this;

ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-54…

That OkCity ice looks alot like what ours is turning out to freeze into. Just a simple sprinkler hose and pvc pipe is doing the job so far. A couple frozen hose nights below zero, but working good in the teen temps of the day right now. Thanks for the tips. We did get hose heaters going a day or so ago.

Bill McKirgan · · Cheyenne, WY · Joined Aug 2008 · Points: 466

Wow, good luck Woodchuck!

day 4. ice overflowed inside the silo so we now have another climb to consider. Hope to be on it by Wed. night or Thursday.

tool time soon

getting wider each day

Woodchuck that is lookin' nice! Keep it up! You got anchors setup?

First day/night of climbing on the silo. Nice and steep, thin in places, needs another couple days of water running over it to patch up the holes we made. Sweet to have right in our backyard.

silo ice

Under the stars tonight.

Dr. Ed on the ice

Night climbs

Ice is growing just fine. New sprinkler heads installed tonight. 4th night of climbing and doing great. New climbers arrive tomorrow AM.

Captain America climbs the frozen silo.

Team Ice

More climbers today. Ice is excellent!.

Day 4 on ice.

Steep thin ice

Thin section is 'mixed' route.

woodchuck,

here is another photo from our ice climb.

and another

charlie Carlson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 5

Cool you guys have some good ice going We've been working on building ice for about the last 13 or more years and changing our set up every year. right now we have 3 outside climb's and 3 on the inside. anywhere from wi3 to wi4+. I've found that I can build ice as warm as 22 degrees and as cooled as you want as long as you have the volume of water to build good ice. We use a pvc pipes with misting sprayers for spraying fields. moving it up and down depending on where we need to build.

Camp shamineau Ice tower

Nice tower Charlie! Here's how thick ours has gotten over the last 7 days of snow and cold temps. A bit wet today at 48 degrees, but should last this short meltout. Wednesday near 50, we will climb in Hawaiian shirts if possible..

First time ice climber with that crazed look in her eyes.

Fat ice today.

Still steep with tons of icicles falling on us.

The newest ice is very thick this weekend.

AAAaagggh!! 50 temps and rain coming in by Wedneday. Hawaiian shirt climbing today, not too wet or dripping. Looks like our 3 weeks of ice might come to an end any day now. And it was just getting really thick throughout all routes too.

Temps near 50 today.

Team Hawaii

A few thin spots up top, but most of the ice was really solid yet.

Update: Meltout has started, with water polished surface that pops off dinner plates just about every smack with a tool. But still fun.

Melting ice still fun to climb.

charlie Carlson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 5

bye bye ice it's been fun!

we hope to squeeze another day or two out of it before the collapse.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Midwest
Post a Reply to "Ice farming in Illinois"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started