Mountain Project Logo

Looking for good bouldering in Maine.

Original Post
Royce Kern · · Deer Isle, ME · Joined May 2010 · Points: 0

Recently moved to Deer Isle, Maine a month and a half ago from Joshua Tree, Ca. Figured with all the granite around here there would be some sweet, decent sized boulders somewhere. Starting to go crazy a little from lack of it. Anyone know of anything close by to here? I've done some bouldering in Acadia but looking for something maybe closer seeing how I work most days until 5. If anyone could help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Peter Beal · · Boulder Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,825

Good luck with this. The freestanding boulders were mostly ground into gravel that far down east. You might be best getting a sea kayak or boat and looking around. Camden might have something and who knows further inland?

Anthony Codega · · Maine · Joined Feb 2010 · Points: 140

I don't know of any bouldering down this way apart from acadia... but I am sure there must be some things worth climbing along the shore line. Just a matter of finding them. Clifton also has good bouldering, but is a little bit of a drive from you. From deer isle, you'll find most things to be a long drive.

Edit: Also, if you do find any bouldering down this way, or want to venture to clifton or acadia to boulder a day, shoot me a pm. I'm in castine, about 45 minutes from deer isle.

DCSwish23 · · Climbmore, USA · Joined Jun 2010 · Points: 1,735

Like they said, Camden, Clifton, and Acadia are the places to go around central Maine, but I dont know how much bouldering is in Camden. I have found that there are lots of random boulders everywhere in Maine so even if it's not enough to bother going to it could get you a quick mid-week fix. Let me know if you find something good or if you want someone to climb with.

john strand · · southern colo · Joined May 2008 · Points: 1,640

it's not close or easy to get to but Katahdin has tons of boulders

Stu Cooper · · Grantham, NH · Joined May 2010 · Points: 65

The article doesn't mention where the bouldering is, but I think it is Clifton (right outside of brewer and bangor.

bangormetro.com/media/Bango…

Peter Beal · · Boulder Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,825

Very interesting angle on the East Coast "brain drain" phenom. Can't count how many former East Coasters, myself included, had to leave Maine owing to the weak economy, and lack of climbing, of course:)

jedeye · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 18

I was just browsing Google Earth, and there's a panoramio pic at the S end of Craig (Creg?) Lake near East Orland that looks enticing. The slope above it looks worth exploring, too. Another pic just W of Stonington - "rocks at sand beach". Hard to gauge scale... On Stinson Neck, there's a pic at the S end, "house before hog island", showing the preferred method of scoping coastal gems. Finally, blueberry fields are nice, since you can see the boulders. Don't know about access, though...

Peter Beal wrote:Very interesting angle on the East Coast "brain drain" phenom. Can't count how many former East Coasters, myself included, had to leave Maine owing to the weak economy, and lack of climbing, of course:)
And BUGS Peter, don't forget about the BUGS
Evan1984 · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 30

As has been said, there is not a whole lot up your way in terms of ESTABLISHED boulders.

It is my personal opinion, having lived here for a little over a year, that there is excellent bouldering potential all over Maine (hell, there are some great potential problems on the side of the 95). The state has a small population, thick woods, and a short climbing season. All this makes bouldering slow to develop.

I would encourage you to go find some public land, investigate the access issues, and cultivate some boulders. That way I could climb on them within busting my but to find and clean them, hehe. Seriously, though.

T. William · · Avon · Joined Oct 2008 · Points: 80

My friends and I spent our high school years and years after developing boulders around central maine. Theres good Stuff in the Belgrade Lakes area and along route 27 between farmington and Sugarloaf ski resort. check out newenglandbouldering.com Daggett Rock is the sh*t but kinda far for you. near blue hill, across from Sedgwick Elementary school theres a few really nice boulders that have seen little activity. Search around after the leaves are gone and before the snow flies, when it's easiest to see through the forest.

Will LaViolette · · gorham NH · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 0

mahoosuc notch. dont bother bringing a crash pad, it will do you no good if you fall.

Phil Persson · · Denver, Colorado · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 670

Royce, it's not completely 'natural' bouldering, but there are some fantastic [albeit a bit sharp!] problems in the old granite quarries right near Stonington, I spent last summer leading sailing trips around the Deer Isle area and did a bunch of fun bouldering there... try the one right up on the hill by old quarry campground, behind the fishing trawler docks... also, Clifton [up my Bangor] has some good bouldering potential in addition to great trad & sport climbing. Oh and some of the little islands have "hidden" boulders too.
Best,
Phil

jedeye · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Feb 2009 · Points: 18

With the Sedgwick Elementary tip, I peeked around there some more. There's a blueberry field south of the intersection of Sedgwick Ridge and Poker Valley Roads, and some rocky ridges just nne of that, around a pond/marshy area. Gotta be something in there...

Will LaViolette wrote:mahoosuc notch. dont bother bringing a crash pad, it will do you no good if you fall.
SHIT - I thought I was the only one crazy enough to go bouldering there !!!!
Will LaViolette · · gorham NH · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 0
john strand wrote: SHIT - I thought I was the only one crazy enough to go bouldering there !!!!
sorry man, i'm in the area alot, usually for several days at a time, i normally bring my climbing shoes and chalk bag with me.

also, this place is a treasure trove of hiking gear....i got a good pair of leki trekking poles, and the lid to a jet boil!
ChrisG George · · Westminster · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 115

Check out the coast up in Halifax.

Maineboulderer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 0

If you are looking for some amazing bouldering, check out the Clifton area. There are several areas (super secret, private property, with access issues)that have some seriously concentrated boulder fields, with some fantastic lines. There is a huge amount of unexplored stuff, and the established problems range from V1 to V11. My advice is to go to Orono, head to the Alpenglow store, and make nice to some local climbers. They may decide to help you out. Just make sure to bring your highball head. typical topouts are at 20+ feet.

Maineboulderer · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 0

If you are looking for some amazing bouldering, check out the Clifton area. There are several areas (super secret, private property, with access issues)that have some seriously concentrated boulder fields, with some fantastic lines. There is a huge amount of unexplored stuff, and the established problems range from V1 to V11. My advice is to go to Orono, head to the Alpenglow store, and make nice to some local climbers. They may decide to help you out. Just make sure to bring your highball head. typical topouts are at 20+ feet.

maineah · · Maine · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 295

There should be a guide coming out soon for the clifton/eastern maine bouldering.

Lanky · · Tired · Joined Jun 2008 · Points: 255
maineah wrote:There should be a guide coming out soon for the clifton/eastern maine bouldering.
Not including the stuff on private land, I hope.
Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Northeastern States
Post a Reply to "Looking for good bouldering in Maine."

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started