Mountain Project Logo

Older Rope, Still Ok?

Original Post
cgoldensoph · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 0

I'm getting back into climbing and have an older rope that I'm not sure if I should retire simply for it's age. It was brand new 10 years ago, back when I was 13 and my dad simply took me and my brothers top roping. This rope specifically was rarely used and has no falls. It's been kept in a basement in a rope bag. It was never kept in a damp place and not in any sunlight. I have checked the rope for any visible wear or distortion and have not found any. My question is "Does rope dry rot or simply get to old to use?" I don't have enough experience to know when to retire a rope. I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

JamesW · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2007 · Points: 285

when in doubt retire it....

it's probably fine for continued TRing, but over time a ropes elasticity will diminish.

ClimbPHX.com · · Mesa AZ · Joined Jan 2006 · Points: 1,125

Im thinking if your apprehensive... then you already know.
Be safe... Your life is worth more than 180 bucks

Josh Olson · · Durango, CO · Joined Mar 2010 · Points: 255

if you want to send it to me, i can properly retire it...

Gunkiemike · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jul 2009 · Points: 3,777

It doesn't dry rot. Use the rope for top ropeing, then buy a new one when you are leading.

cgoldensoph · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Aug 2010 · Points: 0

Sweet, much appreciated feedback.

Woodchuck ATC · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Nov 2007 · Points: 3,305
Gunkiemike wrote:It doesn't dry rot. Use the rope for top ropeing, then buy a new one when you are leading.

Agree if kept in pristine condition, it is quite safe for TR climbs. I've got a 1976 era Mammut that still works just fine for indoor wall use. No shealth wear at all, 11mm and strong.

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 908

Its fine.

Beal ropes state ropes are safe for 15 years including 10 years of storage:

bealplanet.com/portail-2006…

Greg D · · Here · Joined Apr 2006 · Points: 908
Michael P wrote:

Is this rope dynamic or static?

Really?!!!

You revive a 7 year old thread to ask a tarded question?!!

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Older Rope, Still Ok?"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.