Mountain Project Logo

CatSlab Climbing?

Original Post
Jason Gilbert · · Kenai, AK · Joined Nov 2002 · Points: 320

What's the deal with climbing at CatSlab?

I've heard a lot of conflicting things in the last couple years. Is anyone climbing there right now? I heard that it's private property now and that it was closed to climbers, but there's no construction going on there right now. I still see the occasional climber out there.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Has anyone gotten in trouble for climbing there?

Jason

Kevin Fox · · parker · Joined Apr 2003 · Points: 970

the slab is closed and the last time at the doghouse there were signs up that said no trespassing. it was cool climbing, but there is a ton of stuff in the canyon to climb.

LIV Veraldi · · Lone Tree, CO · Joined Dec 2007 · Points: 495

My partner and I drove up to check it out yesterday after climbing. On the opposite side of the river, there are no trespassing signs. On the side of the river where the slab is located, there is just a "for sale" sign. There was no one on the slab climbing. There was only one car parked there, and those people were climbing at the Doghouse.

Nate Oakes · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2006 · Points: 235

The slab is closed because a while back, a woman fell while climbing and broke her leg, then decided to sue both her belayer and the property owner for her hospital expenses. Go here for more info.

John McNamee · · Littleton, CO · Joined Jul 2002 · Points: 1,690

Another good reason to get involved with the Denver grass root access group.... Lets try to get some dialog going with the new owners when it is sold... or perhaps try to find out the current status. Things change. There used to be no trespassing signs.

Meeting is July 24th downtown Denver. For details...

mountainproject.com/v/color…

Tim Stich · · Colorado Springs, Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,516

So, can someone identify the woman that sued the landowner so we can avoid her in the future?

Chris C. · · Lakewood, CO · Joined Sep 2007 · Points: 10

I dropped by to take a closer look at the Cat Slab on Sunday, July 20, 2008. On the right (south) side of the creek, there are definitely several no trespassing signs posted. However, on the left (north) side of the creek, where the Cat Slab sits, there is nothing but a Real Estate sign on the ground leaning against a fence. But the fence does not extend across the trail, so access to the trail seems to be specifically granted. The number for the real estate firm is 303-469-7833. I saw only two climbers in the area, but they were on the other side of U.S. 6, working that overhang route well upstream of the Cat Slab.

I also read this in the June 24, 2008 Access Update to CMC's Trail and Timberline (Steve Bonowski and Clare Bastable):

"Cat Slab: The Colorado Mountain Club has monitored the closure of this popular climbing area in Clear Creek County west of Golden. Formerly privately owned, the area was in process of going into public ownership early in 2008. It is possible the area will reopen to public use. The Conservation Department at the Colorado Mountain Club pursues solutions that protect hiker access to peaks around the state. If you have any information on potential access issues, or would like to assist with access work, please contact Clare Bastable at bastac@cmc.org or (970) 618-1341."

Sorry, I don't know anyone who has actually climbed there recently or who has more complete information regarding the current owners or the access situation.

Jason Gilbert · · Kenai, AK · Joined Nov 2002 · Points: 320

I noticed today, As I was playing around on MP, that several climbers are posting comments about climbs and climbing on CatSlab.

So, I'm still interested in knowing any information about the area.

Has anything changed? Several of you have posted that the signs are down, and people have been climbing there.

Has anyone seen any gunslinging land owners?

Alex Clifford · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Sep 2008 · Points: 0

I was actually up at catslab the other day and had a real good day of climbing. When we pulled up there was a cop sitting on the side of the road. Walked by him and onto Catslab no questions asked.

Jason Gilbert · · Kenai, AK · Joined Nov 2002 · Points: 320

Hey Alex-Thanks for the information.

I'm wondering, How is it that we have so much different and varied information about this area? We have some climbers talking about trespassing and getting shot at and we have some climbers that seem to be climbing with the blessing of police officers. Even the Access Fund says that this area "May or may not be closed." I kind of think that if it's not definitely and clearly CLOSED than it's still open.

On another note, What exactly constitutes Trespassing? If there's no sign up and no barrier to stop me am I still trespassing?

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

yes, you are still trespassing. Yes, it's still a private property concern & not-permissible to climbing. The sheriff won't get involved unless the landowner presses charges. The state patrol won't do anything regardless, they monitor the roadway.

At some point Clear Creek County will incorporate this area within the greenbelt easement; but that has not yet occurred. The entire canyon will someday be a greenbelt from Jeffco OS to Clear Creek OS; but neither county will be moving rapidly on this. (edited for clarity of easement discussion)

So it's one of those things where maybe one day the sheriff just looks at you coming in from the trail; the next day, you have 4 deputies and a land owner with a rifle wanting to escort you back to the road. Certainly talking about it here will only spur interest and effect more aggressive enforcement of a trespass.

Jason Gilbert · · Kenai, AK · Joined Nov 2002 · Points: 320

I'm not here advocating for trespassing, In fact I haven't climbed at CatSlab for years because of the "May or May not be Closed" post of Access Fund.

I'm just courious, becasue I have impression that a lot of climbers are still climbing there. I wonder if "WE" (as the local climbing community)should do more to discourage climbing at CatSlab, Because it's in our best interest in the long run. Or, should "WE" as a group continue climbing there, in a show of support for climbing in that area.

I guess that what I'm saying is: "shouldn't we all be on the same page about this area" Instead of one group crying foul and one group continuing to climb.

Buff Johnson · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2005 · Points: 1,145

honestly, people are still going to try to do whatever they want, there won't be a "same page".

Darren Mabe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 3,669

I dont know current status regarding above CMC notes, but i have spoken to the landowner a few years ago, as well as his son (actually the landowner lives in Florida or something, and his son looks after his asset). apparently nothing has changed, it is still private property. signs or not. everytime he puts up no trespassing signs, they get taken down by someone insisting they just need to climb at Catslab. I dont know what the discussion here is, but sounds like folks justifying breaking rules. There was a lot of rumor and hearsay regarding the reasons for closure and its not quite what everyone is mentioning above. It actually has little to do with the gal that got dropped (and alleged lawsuit), and more to do with other users in the area, fishermen, squatters, shooters, trashing the place near the creek.

i will say that both the landowner and his son are aware of mountainproject.com, and is another way they monitor activity on THEIR land.

true, the Landowner does not like the bolts in Catslab and will eventually want them removed. He proposed I do this and I declined his offer. (Borderline conflict of interest...)

now, what I am curious about is where the property boundary is? anyone have info on the boundary of this fellow's parcel?

EDIT: BJ, you mentioned something like 82 acres? where does this extend?

-Darren Mabe

pfwein Weinberg · · Boulder, CO · Joined May 2006 · Points: 71

BJ wrote about ". . . the value of the private property owner not having to defend lawsuits from recreationalists' insurance companies . . ."
Does anyone know if that has ever happened? While I don't doubt that some landowners are legitimately concerned about litigation risks if they allow climbing on their property, it may be useful to separate what has actually happened in the past from someone's fantasy about what may happen.
To be blunt, I'm calling BS on insured people's insurance companies suing landowners who "passively" allow climbing.
If I'm wrong, I'll gladly admit it and thank whoever can straighten this out. Thanks

Darren Mabe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 3,669
johnL wrote:Darren or anyone else interested. You can go to the county assessors office at the Taj in Golden and get exactly what you're looking for. You can overlay actual aerial photos with parcels and owners names and print the whole thing for free. I did this with Sphinx rock to see just how screwed we were (profoundly).

thanks for the beta.
hows your burns?

Sergio P · · Idaho Springs, CO · Joined Oct 2004 · Points: 185

Darren or anyone else interested. You can go to the county assessors office at the Taj in Golden and get exactly what you're looking for. You can overlay actual aerial photos with parcels and owners names and print the whole thing for free. I did this with Sphinx rock to see just how screwed we were (profoundly).</quote

since this crag sits in Clear Creek County I think you'll have to go to Georgetown county offices for these types of photos.

Darren Mabe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 3,669
Sergio P wrote:you'll have to go to Georgetown county offices for these types of photos.

yeah i figured that. but thanks!

DStaley · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2007 · Points: 0
WiledHorse wrote: yeah i figured that. but thanks!

No need to go to the assessor. You can at least get some idea here:

map.co.clear-creek.co.us/im…

once you get to the viewer you can toggle on/off parcels and aerial photography.

ain't the internet great?!

-DS

Darren Mabe · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Dec 2002 · Points: 3,669
DStaley wrote: No need to go to the assessor. You can at least get some idea here: map.co.clear-creek.co.us/im… once you get to the viewer you can toggle on/off parcels and aerial photography. ain't the internet great?! -DS

amazing. thats exactly what i am looking for....

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Colorado
Post a Reply to "CatSlab Climbing?"

Log In to Reply
Welcome

Join the Community! It's FREE

Already have an account? Login to close this notice.