Five Ten Blackwings

Original Post
Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

Hey everyone,

So somebody pointed out that the Blackwings are half off on Five Ten's website, with most sizes available:

http://www.fiveten.com/us/blackwing-blue-orange

Pretty ridiculous deal, so I'm tempted, but there surprisingly isn't a lot of info/reviews out there, aside from a bunch of threads about sizing (I'll probably order street shoe size).  Anyone use the shoe?  What are your thoughts?  How do they compare with Solutions, Shamans, Instincts, etc and other similar shoes?

Kasper Gram · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Mar 2017 · Points: 0

I find the edge very soft and the show sort of molds to your foot. But because og its midsole still supportive. 

They are Best on steep routes or boulders. 

They have a wide toebox, but still build on a very narrow last. I wear size 44 blackwing compared to 42.5 in instinct vs and drago. And 43 ind 5.10 stonelands vcs. 

I really like the blackwings, but i fear they will wear out fast. 

RobG814 · · Wilmington, NC · Joined Jan 2014 · Points: 335

I hope they aren't discontinuing them. I was planning on picking them up after I wear out my Dragons. From what I have read they are supposed to be very similar to Dragon just with Velcro instead of laces

Ted Pinson · · Chicago, IL · Joined Jul 2014 · Points: 190

Dude, jump on that deal - you definitely won't get them for cheaper!  That's what I've heard they were designed as, but I've also heard they're a little softer, which could be a good or bad thing depending on your preference.

Jon H · · MD/DC · Joined Nov 2009 · Points: 123

Thoughts on sizing?  Based on what I can gather and speaking to the 1 or 2 people I know who have had them in the past, best guess is size directly according to your street size.

jdonigan · · Brooklyn · Joined Apr 2015 · Points: 25

fwiw, i wear 13 running shoes and got a 13 in the blackwing and they are snug (the 12.5 were tight..too tight for my liking). shoe sizes for reference  (tight < snug < comfort)

TC pro - 45.5 - snug-ish

5.10 pinks - 12.5 - comfortable

5.10 hiangle - 12 - snug

ls miura vs - 45 - snug

V0Hero · · Unknown Hometown · Joined Jan 2015 · Points: 2,262

I got a half size down in my street shoe size and they are perfect. Tight but not uncomfortable. Amazing shoe for roofs! 

Peter Beal · · Boulder Colorado · Joined Jan 2001 · Points: 1,740

Good shoe but not a brilliant one. Don't expect the same level of performance compared to a Dragon or Team shoe.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply