Trying to get into climbing photography! Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Original Post
Alec Sluser · · Concord CA · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 3

As the title says! All feedback is much appreciated. Check out my climbing photography here!

cdec · · SLC, UT · Joined Jan 2007 · Points: 175

Colors! have your models wear brightly colored clothing.

nathanael · · Riverside, CA · Joined May 2011 · Points: 204

is this some kind of parody, tongue out free solo sport climbing with harness, GriGri, and belay certified tag?

Alec Sluser · · Concord CA · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 3

More of a climb halfway up jokingly, realize your half way up and just decide to finish the climb. Dont you know you should have a belay card to free solo? 

Marc801 C · · Sandy, Utah · Joined Feb 2014 · Points: 0
Nathanael wrote:

is this some kind of parody, tongue out free solo sport climbing with harness, GriGri, and belay certified tag?

The tongue out should be enough to never even consider posting the photo.

Tristan Bradford · · Oklahoma City, OK · Joined Mar 2015 · Points: 393

says mark who leads 5.14d

Old lady H · · Boise, Idaho · Joined Aug 2015 · Points: 120

I didn't see the guy climbing right over the belayer was unroped. That's idiotic.

I deleted my comment from your other thread. A serious photog does not encourage endangering other people. This is party time stuff, not the real thing.

I'm not just being cranky. I've lived with a photojournalist for forty years now. There are hazards on both sides, which should be taken seriously. Look no further than Jimmy Chin and Honnold. Both very, very sensitive of their effect on the other. Emulate that level of professionalism, or be yet another posting something stupid that gets someone hurt or killed.

OLH

Matt Kuehl · · Las Vegas · Joined Nov 2010 · Points: 1,425

Well its just a start really with such a small selection of images.  But you have the website up and the blog is a nice addition that people who might follow you will like so long as you keep going on fun adventures.  My advice would be to shoot a ton more and pick the very best to be featured.  Variety is also really appreciated, both visually and regionally/rock type, people, climbing discipline etc... avoid featuring images that are too similar.  At some point you will probably have to commit to specifically taking climbing photos over climbing some days, but not necessarily so stay open to spontaneity.  Bringing your camera every time you get out climbing is also a good place to start I guess lastly just learn the full capabilites of your camera setup and experiment often.  Have fun!

Matthew Tangeman · · Unknown Hometown · Joined May 2015 · Points: 25

More variety would be good. I'm guessing these were all on the same day? Good on ya for getting up on the wall and shooting top down, but that's only one possible angle. Shoot wide, shoot tight, focus on the landscape, focus on the climber.  The climbers also tend to be in similar positions on the same routes, not ideal for a photo set.

My favorite shot would probably be the third (Theodore on the 11b). Good light, lines leading to the subject (arm), nailed the depth of field too. 

Squeak · · Perth West OZ · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 18

Every image there "LOOKS" posed. 

Nothing looks like "climbing" it all fells staged.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Post a Reply