REI Community
search
Advanced
Where to store personal tether?
Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>

Jan 4, 2017
NOT a PAS pro/con THREAD!

Dylan Carey
From TX
Joined Oct 5, 2012
30 points
Jan 4, 2017
I clip the biners on both of my tethers together and then clip one to my left, rear gear loop. My gear on the rear loop then drapes over it. This works for me. Just avoid the dreaded loop up the ass crack method. It is just undignified. Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Joined Jan 1, 2001
1,230 points
Jan 4, 2017
Clip all the loops on your PAS to a locker and then clip it to your harness. Won't dangle down; just like wadding up a double-length runner and clipping it to your harness.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you are using your PAS as an anchor, rather than just a rappel sling, so you will have to do this at each belay station. If you build an anchor at each station, you won't have to deal with your tether(s) until you rappel.
FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Joined Nov 19, 2009
15 points
PAS THONG-tha-thon-thon-thong is the Way

but really, i leave mine hitched to the tie-ins, then clip the locker to the terminal and 3rd loop, and then to a back gear loop (not haul loop) and make sure it stays under all the other gear.
J Marsella
From Berthoud, CO
Joined Jul 3, 2010
1,658 points
Dylan Carey wrote:

Not sure I understand. You're not building anchors and you're not using your PAS. How are you attaching yourself to the bolted belay station?
FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Joined Nov 19, 2009
15 points
Jan 4, 2017
Thanks for the input. Frank, routes I have been on lately and have on the near future list are all bolted belay stations, so not building anchors. And, to elaborate on my system, no PAS used. Dylan Carey
From TX
Joined Oct 5, 2012
30 points
Jan 4, 2017
Frank, Just using a dyneema girthed to belay loop (sometimes 2, sometimes 1 and a rope tie-in). Dylan Carey
From TX
Joined Oct 5, 2012
30 points
Jan 4, 2017
clip to gear loop then tuck rest under a leg loop, faster than clipping the loops and stays out of the way no problem Andy Rasmussen
From MA
Joined Jan 18, 2016
25 points
I don't care how it looks or what Alexs thinks...thong all the way! Ted Pinson
From Chicago, IL
Joined Jul 11, 2014
40 points
Andy Rasmussen wrote:
tuck it under a leg loop, faster than clipping the loops and stays out of the way no problem

Now there's an idea!
Dylan Carey
From TX
Joined Oct 5, 2012
30 points
Ted Pinson wrote:
I don't care how it looks or what Alexs thinks...thong all the way!

2 votes for thong
Dylan Carey
From TX
Joined Oct 5, 2012
30 points
Jan 4, 2017
Clipped to the rear gear loop with gear draped over. Never in the way, easier to access than the thong, and less of your friends pointing and laughing. Boots Ylectric
From Chicago IL
Joined Apr 11, 2012
25 points
Jan 4, 2017
I don't break out the PAS until I'm rapping a route or run out of draws/slings. I just keep it on my very back gear loop on a locker (not girthed to my hardpoints). I anchor in with a clove while on route. I've never understood why folks use them to anchor in on multi-pitch routes in the first place - seems like something else to get cluttered and you have very limited adjustment capabilities compared to a clove with your rope.

The other day I actually did have to anchor in with one only because I linked two pitches (a full 70m) and didn't have enough rope to clove in with. And forgot my cord at the previous belay.

--- Invalid image id: 112425080 ---
Jonathan Dull
From Boone, NC
Joined Mar 2, 2012
320 points
Dylan Carey wrote:
NOT a PAS pro/con THREAD!

It's slowly moving in that direction, despite your comment!
FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Joined Nov 19, 2009
15 points
Jan 4, 2017
I usually shorten it a bit by clipping about 3 loops back and then run it under the gear hanging from my front gear loops and clip it to the back gear loop. Matt Himmelstein
From Orange, California
Joined Jun 22, 2014
95 points
Jan 4, 2017
Thong is the way. I always make my PAS as short as possible so when I clip my back gear loop it is nice an tight like a good thong should be. Everyone else will really appreciate it as well. Zachary k
Joined Apr 5, 2015
25 points
Jonathan Dull wrote:

Out of curiosity, why do you carry it at all? Seems the only time you use it is after a climb, so you should have plenty of material to work with for an extended rap (60cm slings).

My go to right now, when I carry it (although I have been debating it's true utility), is around my waist. My Chain Reactor is pretty much the perfect size to go all the way around and clip back to itself. I do use a gear sling for my cams, so that may help with it not getting in the way/hung up too bad.
Brian L.
Joined Feb 19, 2016
0 points
Jan 4, 2017
I don't use one, but a friend that does keeps it girthed to his hard points then wraps it around and clips it back to the belay loop. It goes above all his gear loops and is snug enough that it doesn't get in his way, he does move it to a gear loop for belaying because it pulls his belay loop to the side. Brady3
Joined Apr 18, 2014
15 points
Jan 4, 2017
I wear my teather thong style. It helps that its length is adjustable so I can shorten it up to not hang loose. eli poss
From Durango, Co
Joined May 9, 2014
136 points
Dylan Carey wrote:
NOT a PAS pro/con THREAD! Rather,a question on where do yall put your personal tether(runner, PAS, dyneema...etc) while not using it? When I wrap it around waist and clip a back gear loop it always seems to get stuck on wires or cam lobes. When I attach it to 1st gear loop it hangs too low and catches leg. And I've put it on and off belay loop at every station, got to be a better way than that. And, if you have 2 tethers, double the fun! I saw somewhere about a tether thong...sounds fun. I searched through threads and couldn't find anything besides the 87 posts on why yer gonna die with a PAS.

When leading, I wrap it around my waist and clip back to the belay loop where it is clove-hitched. The wrap goes above all the gear loops and doesn't catch on anything. When following, scrambling unroped, or simul-climbing, I usually just gather up some loops and clip it to a front gear loop.
rgold
From Poughkeepsie, NY
Joined Feb 15, 2008
40 points
Jonathan Dull wrote:

Yep. Completely agree. Nothing screams noob like having some sort of tether while going up on a multi. It's not just an aesthetics thing, either. With the possible exception of the thong, whatever you do is going to interfere with the gear that matters (i.e. your rack) that is also competing for that space.

As for the descent, now that you're no longer using your rack, do whatever is easiest and most efficient. I personally agree with Brian L., though. It's pretty much a guarantee that you can scavenge something that actually served a purpose in the ascent, thus letting it do double duty. My personal goto is a hybrid double but I've also used alpine draws, 1 or 2 dyneema slings, a cordalette, and even QDs (when you know you'll be close to the rap anchors).
Scot Hastings
From Las Vegas
Joined Apr 19, 2013
5 points
wfscot Hastings wrote:
Nothing screams noob like having some sort of tether while going up on a multi.

I use one all the time and am just a tad past the noob stage. Most people don't seem to understand the uses and mistakenly think it is a substitute for anchoring with a rope.
rgold
From Poughkeepsie, NY
Joined Feb 15, 2008
40 points
Dylan Carey wrote:

Dylan Carey wrote:

To clarify, you're using a sling, not a PAS, right?

What about taking it off your harness altogether?

If I need an additional tie-in beyond the rope -- for positioning, redundancy, or whatever -- I take a normal sling and clip it to my belay loop and the anchor. If I need a second one, like for redundancy if I have to untie from the rope, I clip it with biners opposed.

When doing multiple raps, I leave two slings clipped to the belay loop and store them while rapping with the other end around my waist and clipped to a gear loop for quick access at the next anchor.
Kent Richards
Joined Jan 10, 2009
3 points
Dylan Carey wrote:
2 votes for thong

climbing friend,

No on the PAS THONG!!! YOU may NOT use it! Unless you are wishing to look the fool and also ins trange sexual way acentuating your naughtycrotchbulge!!!!
Aleks Zebastian
From Boulder, CO
Joined Jul 3, 2014
0 points
Jan 4, 2017
Girthed it to you loop and than shorten it with a biner and clip under your gear to the back side gear loop (not the back haul loop). Never had issues with cams or any other gear getting caught on it as long as you keep it short so it is against the harness and under the gear. ViperScale
Joined Dec 22, 2013
165 points
Jan 4, 2017
I prefer to stuff mine down the front of my pants, locker and all. This way nobody sees my PAS thong, and I look, uh, better in all of my pictures...for the ladies.

I actually just use a 48" runner, so I just cannibalize a draw when I need it.
Jack Servedio