Route Guide    Partners    Forum    Photos    What's New    Journal
Sign Up  |   Log In:Login with Facebook
REI Community
What's going on in this picture?
Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

Jun 6, 2010
This is a photo from a recent climber get-together. Any guesses as to what it is?

Rock Climbing Photo: what is this?
what is this?
Geir
From Tucson, AZ
Joined Jun 7, 2006
2,505 points
Jun 6, 2010
Looks like load testing the oval carabiner (loaded across the gate) by pulling it with a comealong. Rope looks like it is there to keep things from flying around and plywood is a shield. Mark Cushman
From Cumming, GA
Joined Sep 4, 2006
805 points
Jun 6, 2010
looks like crossloading a biner (possibly to failure) with some type of dynamometer to offer a reading. -- basically what Cush said. Buff Johnson
Joined Dec 19, 2005
545 points
Jun 7, 2010
Someone's plan to keep their little piece of California from sliding off into the ocean? Stucker
From Centennial, CO
Joined Aug 1, 2006
20 points
Jun 7, 2010
Looks like breaking stuff is fun! tooTALLtim
From Boulder, CO
Joined Apr 9, 2007
270 points
Jun 7, 2010
Can you find the hidden climber in this picture?

Rock Climbing Photo: Devil's Head on the back side of the Training Grou...
Devil's Head on the back side of the Training Ground.

Yes, there is one.
Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Joined Jan 1, 2001
1,230 points
Geir Hundal wrote:

Rock Climbing Photo: what is this?
what is this?

I've narrowed it down, and these are my final guesses.

Drilling a glory hole, or two.

Setting up for the annual "Burning Cam" event.

Playing pin the big bro on the donkey. (He'd better be blind-folded!)

Back woods red-neck trying to set a booty trap for a climber, because he's lonely, and hungry.

He's dead drunk, about to puke, while trying to impress the girls at camp that he's figured out how the Titanic really sank.

Edit: [send. more. hidden. pictures.]
Dirty Gri Gri, or is it GiGi?
From Vegas
Joined May 25, 2005
1,315 points
Jun 7, 2010
Dirty Gri Gri, or is it GiGi? - "Drilling a glory hole, or two."

Hahahahaha. Awesome!
John Maguire
From Boulder, CO
Joined Nov 23, 2008
25 points

Here's another shot...

Rock Climbing Photo: take two
take two
Geir
From Tucson, AZ
Joined Jun 7, 2006
2,505 points
Geir Hundal wrote:
Award goes to Cush for the correct answer, with GiGi as a second runner up for the funniest post! It's a pull test station we built to pull slings/rope/gear up to around 8,000 pounds. Here's another shot...

May I ask why?
England
From ?
Joined Aug 26, 2008
120 points
Stich wrote:
Can you find the hidden climber in this picture? Yes, there is one.

Couldn't find it. Post this in a higher resolution so I can get another look.
Adam Stackhouse
Joined Jan 3, 2001
11,970 points
England wrote:
May I ask why?

I think the beverages you can see in peoples hands in the picture answers that.
Rick Blair
From Denver
Joined Oct 16, 2007
163 points
HAHAHA Rick!

Yeah, the beverages did make the whole event a lot more festive.

England,

Geir
From Tucson, AZ
Joined Jun 7, 2006
2,505 points
@Gier -

Price
From SLC, UT
Joined Apr 29, 2007
240 points
Geir Hundal wrote:
HAHAHA Rick! Yeah, the beverages did make the whole event a lot more festive. England, Mostly out of interest. I've done some research over the years to check out various climbing myths, and this thing is a part of that. stuff like: is he EDK really safe for rappels? does a carabiner that gets dropped a long distance weaken? does use/aging weaken dyneema slings significantly? etc. I also wanted to do controlled testing of hardware so i built a "crack" into the form to pull cams & stoppers. (it's hard to see in the photos). Plus I know some folks that are designing new climbing hardware that wanted to test it.

Is this the device you used to do your report on the Gri-Gri, and clove hitch slipping forces etc.., that was very informative. Thanks for that, good stuff.
England
From ?
Joined Aug 26, 2008
120 points
Jun 7, 2010
I think barefoot and mildly inebriated are probably requirements for this sort of activity. LeeAB Brinckerhoff
From ABQ, NM
Joined Aug 3, 2008
10,184 points
Geir Hundal wrote:

Myth busters for climbing, I like it. Post up.
Rick Blair
From Denver
Joined Oct 16, 2007
163 points
Jun 7, 2010
looks like a picture of a guy not worried about losing a toe. Tea
Joined Feb 10, 2006
210 points
Stich wrote:
Can you find the hidden climber in this picture? Yes, there is one.

Is the climber trapped between her breasts?
Doug Foust
From Henderson, Nevada
Joined Sep 14, 2008
45 points
Price wrote:
@Gier - Ever break a comealong with that setup? I mean the plywood looks totally safe and all, but what if something breaks on the other side? Or rather when.

God I really hope not! The comealong is rated to 8,000 pounds and I'm pulling no more than 3K right now - will probably have to get a bigger one just to be safe when it comes time to pull bigger loads.

Geir
From Tucson, AZ
Joined Jun 7, 2006
2,505 points
Jun 7, 2010
That's a pretty cool setup. I'll be curious to hear what you discover. Hendrixson
From Tucson, AZ
Joined Sep 1, 2007
3,205 points
Stich wrote:
Can you find the hidden climber in this picture? Yes, there is one.

Nope, but I see nip!

Freakin hilarious Gri!

And I might add, Stucker's was funny too.

Let's see, who else can I compliment?
Excellent post Stitch!
Umph!
Joined Nov 8, 2004
130 points
Jun 7, 2010
I thought maybe it was the climber on the couloir on the peak way in the back. You can just kinda see him. Kinda. Sorta. Pete Elliott
From Co Spgs CO
Joined Jul 28, 2006
0 points
Jun 7, 2010
Ok, now we know. So how did the tests go?

Old dyneema vs new?

Anything worth sharing.
Greg D
From Here
Joined Apr 5, 2006
511 points
TDog wrote:
... Days without Injury = 0

maybe it's just me, but...nah, it's just me; carry on
Buff Johnson
Joined Dec 19, 2005
545 points
Greg D wrote:
Ok, now we know. So how did the tests go? Old dyneema vs new? Anything worth sharing.

In all the drunken madness, no one remembered to write any of the results down! Until they found these pictures - I don't think they even remembered what they did that night. I think the OP was actually genuine while trying to get the community to help decipher this photo
John Maguire