REI Community
search
Advanced
What is your definition of a climber?
Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

Sep 14, 2012
Can anyone call themselves a climber? Do you need to have a certain proficiency to be called a climber? Do all climbers punt and chuff or do many people label themselves as a "climber" when in fact they are gaping nooblets? What is your definition? J Q
Joined Mar 11, 2012
0 points
Sep 14, 2012
climb¡Per [ klÇ|mər ]
1.somebody who climbs mountains: somebody who climbs rocks or mountains as a sport

2.plant that clings: a plant that attaches itself to other plants or objects such as posts and walls as it grows

3.somebody advancing socially: somebody who steadily gains in rank or status, especially somebody who is unscrupulous and ambitious

Synonyms: mountaineer, rock climber, hiker, walker, rambler, backpacker.

I personally prefer to call myself a chuffer, sounds cooler.
Unassigned User
Joined Dec 31, 1969
0 points
Sep 14, 2012
I only scramble...therefore I am a scrambler. I think climbing because you love climbing will keep you from ever truly giving a shite what labels others apply to themselves Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Joined May 4, 2011
350 points
Sep 14, 2012
I'm a person who enjoys climbing. Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Joined Aug 15, 2008
40 points
Sep 14, 2012
Nice troll, Jonhy. Still getting off by bullying people, I see. Have fun with that. kBobby Hanson
From Spokane, WA

kBobby Hanson
From Spokane, WA
Joined Oct 5, 2001
1,245 points
Sep 14, 2012
chufftard wrote:
I climb 5.9 trad. Solid. I sometimes go to a sporto crag and toprope a 5.10. First lets define who climbers are not: anyone grade chasing, chipping, gluing, hangdogging, training, climbing in the gym unless it is raining.

Wow! I know a lot of dudes that were into the chipping and gluing crap awhile back. They are way more of climbers than I am. Those dudes are gnarly.

And some of the people that I see in the gym go on epic week long climbing trips, they are real climbers but climb in the gym way more than even me.

Hate on Haters
Unassigned User
Joined Dec 31, 1969
0 points
Sep 14, 2012
37 or more points on Moutain Project Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Joined Nov 29, 2007
214 points
Sep 14, 2012
I'm probably not a climber for responding to this, but really it's anyone that had the passion. No matter what discipline, experience, grade etc it's all about the love and drive.

Climbing is about passion and the love of the lifestyle.
Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Joined Feb 15, 2006
105 points
Sep 14, 2012
Someone who doesn't have to ask this question. s.price
From PS,CO
Joined Dec 1, 2010
1,018 points
Sep 16, 2012
Someone who is not offended at this question. Senior Hernandez
Joined Apr 5, 2011
0 points
Sep 16, 2012
Some Catholic priests like to climb on little boys. Does that make them climbers? NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Joined Dec 6, 2009
15 points
Sep 16, 2012
if it isn't at least a grade VI bigwall, it's all practice climbing

so most climbers are in fact "practice climbers"

duh
ParkerKempf Kempf
From atlanta, GA
Joined Jul 16, 2011
0 points
Sep 16, 2012
Not this awful thread again... always leads to the ultimate question, are gym climbers climbers? Some sections on all climbing sites are like living in the movie Groundhog's Day. TomCaldwell
From Clemson, S.C.
Joined Jun 2, 2009
2,403 points
Sep 18, 2012
TomCaldwell wrote:

Sadly this is what all forums end up like. "Any community that gets its laughs by pretending to be idiots will eventually be flooded by actual idiots who mistakenly believe that they're in good company."
Nate C
From Madison, WI
Joined Apr 1, 2012
5 points
Sep 18, 2012
I prefer to call myself a "clucker", a glimber that vacks.

Remember, it is better to be a glimber that vacks than a vacker that glimbs.

Clucking: collegehumor.com/video/3492577...
Greg D
From Here
Joined Apr 5, 2006
511 points
Sep 18, 2012
The Douche of Hazard wrote:
Hate on Haters

Haters gon' hate, is that it? Deep, man.

In other news...

Chuffers gon' chuff.

Climbers gon' climb.

Poopers gon' poop.

Gapers gon' gape.

Titties gon' bounce.

etc...etc.
Dankasaurus
From Lyons, CO
Joined Jul 17, 2012
15 points
Sep 18, 2012
Jonhy Q wrote:
What is your definition?

Someone who's done more pitches than posting...
Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Joined Jan 1, 2001
21,685 points
Sep 18, 2012
TomCaldwell wrote:

Recycled material for sure, covered before by better, but maybe paraphrased a little differently. But I guess we be hatin' if we don't pat the arrogant prick's little head and tell he done good, he done really good. Meh. Post. Logout.
Colonel Mustard
From Sacramento, CA
Joined Sep 13, 2005
1,055 points
Sep 18, 2012
I posted this on "Da Tako" a couple of weeks back it seems to fit in this space as well.

Surfing v. Climbing... Complimentary Pursuits?

Olaf Mitchell said,

"IMHO: Climbing is the act of ascending rock,ice,plastic and any mix of terrain or techniques be it sport or trad on cracks (finger-off width),slab,big wall,free,aid,bouldering,indoor,steep waterfall ice,dry tooling,steep snow,and all the various grades and technical difficulties of each.

IMHO: Surfing is riding waves of any size or condition on any craft or vehicle including long board,short board,body board,body, sail board,kite board,tow-in,outrigger canoe,SUP,or kayak,even jet ski for that matter?"
Olaf Mitchell
From Paia, Maui, Hi,
Joined Mar 16, 2007
160 points
Sep 18, 2012
Kruger wrote:
Somebody who climbs rocks or ice on a regular basis.

Quite possibly the most profound, insightful, and sardonically humorous comment I've ever heard on the issue! Thank you for your contributions to this website!
Nick Stayner
From Billings, MT
Joined Mar 6, 2006
2,260 points
Sep 18, 2012
Kruger wrote:
Somebody who climbs rocks or ice on a regular basis.

+ 1
Spot on m8
Olaf Mitchell
From Paia, Maui, Hi,
Joined Mar 16, 2007
160 points
Sep 20, 2012
Rock Climbing Photo: des
des

J Q
Joined Mar 11, 2012
0 points
Sep 20, 2012
Sorry you can't come up with an original thread discussion that elicits humorous replies. I think the only one that is "butt-hurt" is you, since you had to qualify your thread in your last reply. Thanks for contributing to the quality of mp. TomCaldwell
From Clemson, S.C.
Joined Jun 2, 2009
2,403 points
Sep 20, 2012
TomCaldwell wrote:

He's a poor little feller :(.
Colonel Mustard
From Sacramento, CA
Joined Sep 13, 2005
1,055 points

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

Mountain Project

The Definitive Climbing Resource

MTB Project

Next Generation MTB Trail Maps

Powder Project

Backcountry Ski Maps & Secret Stashes
FREE Stickers · Gyms · People · RSS · School of Rock · Contact · About
Terms · Privacy © 2017 Adventure Projects, Inc.