Route Guide    Journal    What's New    Partners    Forum
Sign Up  |   Log In:Login with Facebook
REI Community
What does your Woody look like???
Page 1 of 34.  1  2  3  4  5   Next>   Last>>

Nov 20, 2009
Rock Climbing Photo: my woody
my woody

Rock Climbing Photo: my woody's anchor
my woody's anchor
Monty
From Golden, CO
Joined Mar 13, 2006
2,664 points
Nov 20, 2009
My Woody is 20' feet long, and about 2.5-3" wide... and made of steel... and 2" X 10"'s....

My Woody is a crack machine!
Jacob Krenn
From La Valle, WI
Joined Aug 11, 2008
10 points
Nov 20, 2009
Is that just bolted at the top? I've been thinking making one in the garage. Andrew James C
From Portland, OR
Joined Sep 15, 2009
160 points
Nov 20, 2009
Let's hope no one takes the title of this thread the wrong way and posts a pic most of us don't want to see. Evan S
From Erie, CO
Joined Dec 30, 2007
275 points
Nov 20, 2009
4 sided 'storage shed' is what I told the village code inspector this was. Duuuuh,,. Some holds have been out there in the weather for over 14 years now.

Rock Climbing Photo: West face and the upper wall attachments.
West face and the upper wall attachments.

Rock Climbing Photo: Old paint job and upper deck view.
Old paint job and upper deck view.
Woodchuck ATC
Joined Nov 29, 2007
505 points
Andrew C wrote:
Is that just bolted at the top? I've been thinking making one in the garage.

sure is Andrew. By doing it this way its easy, minimal impact on a house/ appartment (if installed correctly) and can allow adjustable steepness. Stole the idea from a buddy and its awesome for winter
Monty
From Golden, CO
Joined Mar 13, 2006
2,664 points
Nov 21, 2009
Cool I like the simpleness considering I don't have the skills or money to make anything too spectacular. Thanks for shareing! Andrew James C
From Portland, OR
Joined Sep 15, 2009
160 points
Nov 21, 2009
Rock Climbing Photo: Basement bouldering wall.
Basement bouldering wall.

Rock Climbing Photo: Roof
Roof

Rock Climbing Photo: My young son.
My young son.
DaveB
Joined Feb 4, 2007
915 points
Nov 21, 2009
Rock Climbing Photo: My first home wall.  More to come.
My first home wall. More to come.

My wall is 8' wide and 45 degrees with a vertical height of 8'-6". There is an additional 2' vertical section ending in the rafters which makes for great finish holds and hand traverses. Obviously the number of holds is lacking. All in due time.
Dan S.
From Boulder, CO
Joined Sep 27, 2006
5 points
Nov 21, 2009
These are Awesome guys!. Dave that basement looks very well done.
Dan - I used to have a wall just like that in Lakewood too, good work guys, the winter is near
Monty
From Golden, CO
Joined Mar 13, 2006
2,664 points
Rock Climbing Photo: Home wall 3
Home wall 3

Rock Climbing Photo: Dry tool training day at the good old home gym.
Dry tool training day at the good old home gym.

Good work guys.
Jason Gilbert
From Lakewood
Joined Nov 22, 2002
40 points
Monty wrote:
Stole the idea from a buddy

I knew I recognized it ; )
Aimee Bates
Joined Sep 13, 2008
30 points
Nov 21, 2009
I need to get some better pictures of it but right now I'm storing some stuff from inside the house out there while we remodel. On the right side is a 6’ wide vertical wall and a 90deg dihedral the left side is a 6’ wide 45 deg wall, the roof is 8’X10’. The whole thing is 10’ tall. I have 7 layers of carpet padding and carpet on the floor. It’s completely free standing steel frame.
Rock Climbing Photo: Vertical wall
Vertical wall

--- Invalid image id: 106607639 ---

Rock Climbing Photo: Left
Left

Rock Climbing Photo: Baby roof
Baby roof
Rschap
From Grand Junction, CO
Joined Apr 26, 2009
320 points
Nov 21, 2009
Man my picture taking sucks today, the top picture needs to rotate counterclockwise and the second one needs to rotate clockwise a couple of deg. The seams in the plywood should be horizontal so just tip your screen, I don’t feel like photochopping it, sorry. Rschap
From Grand Junction, CO
Joined Apr 26, 2009
320 points
Jason Gilbert wrote:
I like my home wall, I wish it was a little bigger, but it works and it's great in the winter. But, Some of your walls are awesome. WoodChuck, that it the coolest home wall I've seen, and Dave your basement looks great. I'm planning on wraping my wall around the corner and down the next wall a bit like that, but not for awhile. Good work guys.

I like the duct tape work in the corners. Classy! My wall has grown and changes shapes over the last 15 years. It got 2nd place award for home-woody in Urban Climber contest held during their first year in print. It is a shockingly huge structure for a backyard, that's for sure. 26 ft high when the fold-down roof pieces go up.
Woodchuck ATC
Joined Nov 29, 2007
505 points
Nov 21, 2009
No, you can't see the duct tape, that holds it all together on the backside of the wall.

The grey stripes you see are concrete grout. I used it to fill some gaps in corners and between sheets of plywood, plus it adds great texture and the gaps act like finger cracks.
Jason Gilbert
From Lakewood
Joined Nov 22, 2002
40 points
Evan Simons wrote:

JML
Joined May 3, 2009
10 points
Nov 22, 2009
Uhh, that is some awesome wood there. Jason, I like the grout or concrete idea for texture in the corners. My money went to Nicros for buckets of texture-goo and their overpriced holds. Woodchuck ATC
Joined Nov 29, 2007
505 points
Nov 22, 2009
"It looks just like a telefunkin U47...you'll love it". FZ Sam Lightner, Jr.
From Lander, WY
Joined Apr 9, 2006
1,915 points
Nov 22, 2009
JML, that's not a woody... not IMHO, that is. I have a few creative ideas up my sleeve on how to build one, though. I have pictures; PM me. Dirty Gri Gri, or is it GiGi?
From Vegas
Joined May 25, 2005
1,315 points
Nov 22, 2009
Dirty Gri Gri, or is it GiGi wrote:
I have a few creative ideas up my sleeve on how to build one.

Build or arrange?

(Couldn't quite bring myself to say "or erect?")
Shawn Mitchell
From Broomfield
Joined Mar 4, 2008
0 points
Nov 22, 2009
I knew you'd come up with better terminology.

Edit: posted on I-phone, in my car at red light with cop staring me.
Dirty Gri Gri, or is it GiGi?
From Vegas
Joined May 25, 2005
1,315 points
Nov 22, 2009
prepare! produce!

Drive safely.
Shawn Mitchell
From Broomfield
Joined Mar 4, 2008
0 points
Nov 22, 2009
Woodchuck ATC wrote:

HAHA I knew the thread would come to this! I'm sure everyone tried hard to stay away from the woody jokes but it just didn't quite get there.
Andrew James C
From Portland, OR
Joined Sep 15, 2009
160 points
Nov 22, 2009
Sam Lightner...I was gonna write that-glad somebody did. Joe Huggins
From Grand Junction
Joined Oct 4, 2001
0 points
Nov 22, 2009
I am so sorry that I ruined this thread. Please accept my apologies...I'll stick to posting worthwhile photos from now on.

JML