Route Guide    Partners    Forum    Photos    What's New    Journal
Sign Up  |   Log In:Login with Facebook
REI Community
Warning: Traps found in BLM wilderness near Red Rock
Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

Nov 27, 2013
For those visiting the area and those who live here- a local climber was hiking to Mt Potosi this week when her dog was caught in a trap ( Examples of the trap found just off the trail. ) less than two feet from the main trail to the crag. Luckily, the dog was well trained and held still for her to free, but it is still worrisome.

It has also come to our attention that whoever set the traps has also been setting them in the vicinity of the Red Rock Campground (and, apparently they are legal according to a BLM ranger).

If you have kids or dogs, please make sure to keep them on trail and be aware that these things are out there.
John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Joined Feb 1, 2004
2,461 points
Nov 27, 2013
That's fkd up man. Are these placed maliciously? I've never heard this was an issue in RR? Ryan Kempf
From Boulder, CO
Joined Jul 26, 2011
265 points
Nov 27, 2013
Wow that is seriously f'ed. What goes on in Vegas these days rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Joined Dec 20, 2009
309 points
Nov 27, 2013
Here's a PDF map of where hunting and trapping are allowed in RR:

blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/bl...

Looks to me like it's not permitted in the bottom of the canyons, but it is permitted up at higher elevations.
Dylan B.
Joined Mar 31, 2006
972 points
Nov 27, 2013
Thanks for the link- although while it shows that trapping is not legal near the campground, we heard from the rangers that there are traps out there (supposedly not too close- maybe just outside the no trapping boundary?).

Either way- be careful out there!
John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Joined Feb 1, 2004
2,461 points
Nov 27, 2013
What are they trying to trap. Wild asses? rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Joined Dec 20, 2009
309 points
Nov 27, 2013
When we were climbing Dark Shadows a few weeks ago one of the parties behind us left three dogs--off leash--to run around the canyon. I don't know if this is common or not, but I'd be very worried about a dog being caught in a trap while I'm on the fourth, fifth, eighth pitch of a climb and too far to get there to rescue my dog quickly. Dylan B.
Joined Mar 31, 2006
972 points
Nov 27, 2013
D.Buffum wrote:

J. Albers
From Colorado
Joined Jul 11, 2008
2,235 points
Nov 27, 2013
J. Albers wrote:
If you leave three fricking dogs to run around unsupervised in the canyons so that they can tear sh*t up and harass wildlife, then f*ck it, if your dogs get tagged, so be it. Sheesh, some of you folks make all dog owners look like a bunch of selfish A-holes.

You may think it's irresponsible for a dog owner to let their dogs run around in the woods unsupervised, but should the dog pay the price for the owner's irresponsibility by being caught in a leg trap? (Rhetorical question). It's not the owner's suffering I'd be concerned with; it's the dog's suffering.

To be clear, I had no complaints about the dogs down in the canyon; they were happy doing their doggie thing, and not bothering anyone. They probably helped keep the Ring Tail Cats out of our packs.

I'd be more concerned about trapping in high-traffic areas where people bring pets.
Dylan B.
Joined Mar 31, 2006
972 points
Nov 27, 2013
D.Buffum wrote:

You totally missed the point. Yet somehow your post inadvertently makes my point. The dogs weren't bothering anyone except say, the Ring Tail Cats? Or maybe the sheep that are well known to inhabit the canyon? Dogs chasing the wildlife IS a problem. It always drives me nuts when I am up in a wilderness and I see leashless dogs chasing after everything that moves. Yet the owners somehow think 'nah, its cool man'. No its not.
J. Albers
From Colorado
Joined Jul 11, 2008
2,235 points
Nov 28, 2013
Leg hold traps are primitive and disgusting. Dog, coyote, bobcat, baby human, whatever. Nothing should have to suffer thru that type of cruelty. There is a bigger point here.

I almost always leave my dogs at home when I go climbing. Often the two just don't mix. It is a human, not a canine issue when problems arise.

If you find a trap piss on it. That tends to keep wildlife away. May not be legal, but at least it is humane.

Ken Jones
From Grants, NM
Joined Aug 9, 2011
89 points
Nov 28, 2013
Good idea, Ken. Tim Hudgel
Joined Jan 21, 2009
160 points
Nov 28, 2013
Where do you yuppies get your food from? Animals crowded in pens day and night covered in their own shit? Meme Guy
From Land of Runout Slab
Joined Sep 23, 2013
339 points
Dec 18, 2016
If you see a trap near a trail, put a stick in it to activate it. That will eliminate that danger until it is reset. Those things are inhumane. FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Joined Nov 19, 2009
309 points
dnoB ekiM wrote:
Frank, if you do this in Nevada, you have committed a misdemeanor...and the gestapo will come for you.

Unless it's under camera surveillance, or someone sees me, unlikely I will end up in the hoosegow. Or the gulag. Danger is my middle name (except for climbing and other risk-taking :)

FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Joined Nov 19, 2009
309 points
dnoB ekiM wrote:
Did you read my post? Surveillance is common. Further, the Game Warden's can cite you, apparently, solely on suspicion.

I would be like a ninja, or a cat burglar - stealthy and undetectable. As long as they're not near a trail (see OP's post), the traps will remain unmolested by me.
FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Joined Nov 19, 2009
309 points
Dec 18, 2016
That's pretty fucked up. somebody activating a trap on a trail is doing so public service, protecting people's safety. Let me guess, if I accidently step on a trap set on a trail, I have no legal grounds in nevada to sue the hunter for medical bills? eli poss
From Durango, Co
Joined May 9, 2014
494 points
Dec 18, 2016
wonderful. Perhaps a petition is in order? eli poss
From Durango, Co
Joined May 9, 2014
494 points
Dec 18, 2016
As Eli mentioned: Accidentally activating a trap that is laying in the middle of a public thoroughfare is a misdemeanor? I find that difficult to believe. This is your anecdotal experience? Or it is the norm and routine to charge the public with these offenses. SRB25
From Woodside, ca
Joined Nov 11, 2014
5 points
Dec 18, 2016
Is this actually true? I can't believe it-- setting a trap in the middle of a hiking trail is not only legal, but illegal to tamper with? mpech
Joined Sep 8, 2013
41 points
dnoB ekiM wrote:

My disbelief stems from the fact that it is legal to set traps in places directly where humans are expected to be walking.
mpech
Joined Sep 8, 2013
41 points
Dec 18, 2016
I would steal the trap and the camera. Someone obviously left their gear unattended so it's hard to expect it to be there when they come back. It's like leaving a 20 dollar bill on the sidewalk in the NYC. Nivel Egres
From New York, NY
Joined Dec 10, 2014
26 points
Dec 18, 2016
we are out of state. what can we do to help get the trapping banned. This sh*t went out with blacksmiths and beaver hats. Red Rocks loaded with folks walking dogs as well as tourists climbers hikers. Any lawyers out there to find a theory in equitable relief if not at law? e hal
Joined Apr 7, 2014
0 points
dnoB ekiM wrote:
Me too...but that part is 100% fact! Worse still, is all the liability is on the public...not the trapper....for any interactions.

Did you find this trap on a social trail or an official trail? I think it would be fucked up for someone to place a trap on an official trail but it should not be a trapper's responsibility to avoid every bullshit impromptu trail in RR.
matt c.
Joined Nov 19, 2009
160 points
dnoB ekiM wrote:
The "accidental" statement is unproven, but it was communicated to me it is the public's obligation to avoid the trap. Note that the law is that one cannot "disturb" a trap...that includes movement. What is certain is that you can be charged with a misdemeanor for being suspected of activating a trap with a stick that is in the middle of a trail and then moving that trap slightly out of the trail (still on its retaining lanyard and undamaged). The courts will have to decide. You can read the law in NRS 503. Particularly, NRS 503.454(2) "It is unlawful to remove or disturb the trap, snare or similar device of any holder of a trapping license while the trap, snare or similar device is being legally used by the holder on public land or on land where the holder has permission to trap." I understand your disbelief...

It is part of the statute that the trap be lawful. Was the trapper visiting the trap frequently enough to make it lawful? Was it baited? Was it a legal type of trap?
PRRose
From Boulder
Joined Feb 11, 2006
1 points
e hal wrote:

Maybe we can get climbing banned too! Falling rock and squealing boulders are really endangering unleashed dogs and tourist!
matt c.