The Long Reach
Your todo list:
Your rating: -none-
Your ticklist: [add new tick]
Your opinion of this PAGE: [0 people like this page.]
BETA PHOTO: Looking up the first pitch of Spartan, The Long Re...
This is arguable one of the finest routes on the slabs - bold climbing on perfect granite.
1. Climb a slim groove up rightwards to a ledge and belay.
2. From the belay climb up leftwards on the perfect slab, until a very committing move up onto a quartz dike can be made. Follow the dike up left to the belay.
3. Move up to the overlap of Swastika
. Pull through the overlap, and go up right and belay on a short corner.
4. Move up left and climb a slab passing a quartz pocket. Reach up and continue up and left to the belay below a mini overlap.
5. Climb up and over the overlap, then up and right to below a crack in the overlap.
6. Pass through the overlap on long reaches and follow the groove up until possible to exit via a crack.
Descend using the obvious path on the right.
Start midway between the coffin stone and Swastika
BETA PHOTO: Looking towards the crux slab pitch of The Long Re...
By Euan Cameron
From: Mammoth Lakes
Sep 16, 2007
In my opinion, this is the best climb on the slabs. There isn't one weak pitch on the climb. My favorite is the 2nd pitch, a classic Etive slab outing.