The Long Reach
Your todo list:
Your rating: -none-
Your ticklist: [add new tick]
Your opinion of this PAGE: [0 people like this page.]
BETA PHOTO: Looking up the first pitch of Spartan, The Long Re...
This is arguable one of the finest routes on the slabs - bold climbing on perfect granite.
1. Climb a slim groove up rightwards to a ledge and belay.
2. From the belay climb up leftwards on the perfect slab, until a very committing move up onto a quartz dike can be made. Follow the dike up left to the belay.
3. Move up to the overlap of Swastika
. Pull through the overlap, and go up right and belay on a short corner.
4. Move up left and climb a slab passing a quartz pocket. Reach up and continue up and left to the belay below a mini overlap.
5. Climb up and over the overlap, then up and right to below a crack in the overlap.
6. Pass through the overlap on long reaches and follow the groove up until possible to exit via a crack.
Descend using the obvious path on the right.
Start midway between the coffin stone and Swastika
BETA PHOTO: Looking towards the crux slab pitch of The Long Re...
By Euan Cameron
From: Redlands and Mammoth Lakes
Sep 16, 2007
In my opinion, this is the best climb on the slabs. There isn't one weak pitch on the climb. My favorite is the 2nd pitch, a classic Etive slab outing.