Route Guide    Partners    Forum    Photos    What's New    Journal
Sign Up  |   Log In:Login with Facebook
REI Community
Sexy Grandma Jtree 5 Alpine draws taken
Page 1 of 4.  1  2  3  4   Next>   Last>>

May 19, 2016
If you found the 5 alpine draws off Sexy Grandma in Jtree on 5/14/2016 please return them (213) 453-8119, I would really appreciate it, that would be so solid and a case of your favorite beer in return. Thanks everyone. UPGRADE35
Joined Mar 24, 2015

Hmmmm
BigB
From Red Rock, NV
Joined Feb 18, 2015
311 points
matt c. wrote:
I am sorry you lost your draws and I hope you get them back. I'd check the bulletin board in the campsite. However, J tree is not a sport climbing area. It was not really ok to leave you shit up. According to area standards, these are not pre-hung draws, they are simply booty. Please take this as a lesson learned and clean up after yourself when you are done playing.

Agree Matt and especially a route close to road and campground. Hope you get your gear back.
Doug18
Joined Aug 7, 2015
5 points
Rock Climbing Photo: yukon
matt c. wrote:
clean up after yourself when you are done playing.

This pretty much sums it up.
Seth Jones
Joined Feb 17, 2015
39 points
May 19, 2016
Definitely not okay to leave draws up at JTree. I would have gone out of my way to get those off of that route even if I hadn't planned on climbing Sexy Grandma in the first place. It's also not okay to leave a rope up to "reserve" your climb when you're not there. Different rules for different places. Jon Hartmann
From Ojai, CA
Joined Feb 3, 2009
1,328 points
Rock Climbing Photo: me
Jon Hartmann wrote:

Where is this OK? Everywhere I've been, leaving your rope up means you're OK with others climbing/rapping on it, or pulling it if they want to lead the route. No such thing as "reserving" a route.
steverett
From San Diego, CA
Joined Feb 9, 2012
66 points
Rock Climbing Photo: Climbing in Smuggler's Notch
I'd be curious to know why someone would leave their draws on Sexy Grandma.

Any incite into this from the OP?
Brian in SLC
Joined Oct 6, 2003
13,072 points
May 19, 2016
sexy grandma isn't hard enough to officially be project worthy. your loss. ton
From Salt Lake City
Joined Aug 1, 2014
0 points
May 19, 2016
You left draws on a soft 5.9, located 10' away from the most climbed pitch in the monument.

Why would you do that?
Will S
From Joshua Tree
Joined Nov 15, 2006
1,377 points
Brian in SLC wrote:
Any incite into this from the OP?

I can't tell if you don't know what that word means or if your sarcasm is just that highly refined.
highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion
From Colorado
Joined Oct 29, 2012
43 points
highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion wrote:

I'm going with autocorrect, no rocket surgeon is that dum.
Rob T
Joined Jun 20, 2006
26 points
Rock Climbing Photo: Climbing in Smuggler's Notch
Rob T wrote:
I'm going with autocorrect, no rocket surgeon is that dum.

Thanks! Ha ha...(pretty funny).
Brian in SLC
Joined Oct 6, 2003
13,072 points
May 19, 2016
I just mentioned the rope because 2 weeks ago I showed up to do double cross and there was a rope up and no one around. I moved the rope to the side, climbed the route and when I got to the top I saw that the rope was through the rappel rings. I wasn't going to rap someone else's rope and I wasn't going to put two ropes through the same rings so I just dropped thier rope. A dude came back to the route and asked why I had taken his rope down and I told him why. Then I asked why he had left it up in the first place and he said that he was still top roping the route. So.., then I had to get on him for top roping through rappel rings and how you can't leave a rope up to reserve one of the most popular routes in JTree. I hate being a dick but... I'm kinda a dick. Jon Hartmann
From Ojai, CA
Joined Feb 3, 2009
1,328 points
May 19, 2016
Jon that's not being a dick, that's just pointing out common sense.

Wait, this climb is 5.9?
mediocre
Joined Jul 18, 2013
0 points
Sexy Grandma is rated 5.9 but it's a pretty soft climb. Jon Hartmann
From Ojai, CA
Joined Feb 3, 2009
1,328 points
May 19, 2016
I just looked at the sexy grandma link and saw the O.P.'s post in the comments. The O.P. actually LEFT THE DRAWS ON THE ROUTE OVERNIGHT. The next morning someone snagged the legit booty. Sorry dude, that was dumb as dumb can get. I can't believe you would think someone wouldnt take those.... Jon Hartmann
From Ojai, CA
Joined Feb 3, 2009
1,328 points
May 20, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: kramer
Booty! As more people enter the sport, mostly from the gym it seems, folks will learn the hard way not to leave their toys around. What, you think you're so special that only YOU get the route to yourself? What if I wanted to climb a route with booty gear all up and down it, even if I don't want your stuff I still have to remove it, so now you are inconveniencing me while I'm on lead. Thanks, all so you can "project" well if you want to project go to Home Depot this is climbing one burn two burns three burns go find something else to climb and come back when you're stronger. Hobo Greg
Joined Mar 30, 2016
64 points
May 20, 2016
One piece left on a route is booty, normally. A rope or the entire route quickdraws is somebody forgot their shit or projecting. It's sexy grandma... obviously we forgot the gear, it was nighttime ops, my second didn't climb and we forgot it was a sport route. It's a shame people are into taking gear that ain't theirs and then coming on mp to defend it likes it cool... "Booty!". It's a sad day climbers if everyone is seeing gear and thinking booty over making an effort to return gear. Hope you never space out and this happens to you. Leave your dog eat dog world in the city. UPGRADE35
Joined Mar 24, 2015
0 points
May 20, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: kramer
If you left your gear, for ANY reason besides an injury or assisting with a rescue, then you made a climbing decision. Live with the consequences. If you truly valued your gear you wouldn't leave it around like that. Would you leave the keys in your car too?

You didn't clean it on rap when you could have. Why feel bad for someone who didn't stop and think it through? Forgetting a single piece of gear is forgetting, forgetting multiple pieces is straight incompetence.
Hobo Greg
Joined Mar 30, 2016
64 points
May 20, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Banana Peel 10+
UPGRADE35 wrote:
we forgot it was a sport route
Barrett Pauer
From Brevard, NC
Joined Apr 9, 2013
598 points
May 20, 2016
UPGRADE35 wrote:

You "forgot" to clean the route? You "forgot"it was a sport route?

Holy shit, put down the bong man.
mediocre
Joined Jul 18, 2013
0 points
May 20, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: kramer
mediocre wrote:
You "forgot" to clean the route? You "forgot"it was a sport route? Holy shit, put down the bong man.

He was on Sexy Grandma, not the Bong, stupid. ;)
Hobo Greg
Joined Mar 30, 2016
64 points
May 20, 2016
UPGRADE35 wrote:

Sorry you find the local ethics of Jtree not to your liking. I find it a shame that you feel like you can walk into an area an dictate how things should be done.
matt c.
Joined Nov 19, 2009
154 points
May 20, 2016
I'm just another climber trying to get by, making it day by day buddy. Not preaching, just don't have money to buy more gear that's it. Peace to you, happy climbing. UPGRADE35
Joined Mar 24, 2015