Route Guide    Partners    Forum    Photos    What's New    Journal

Feb 9, 2016

DamnitHiggins
From Denver
Joined May 25, 2012
23 points
Feb 9, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: First morning at Indian Creek!!!
Kevin Pula wrote:
Has anyone taken a quick look at Royal Flush on their way to ski and noticed how much snow/ice looks to be currently on the route? Considering a climb with skis on the back followed by a descent in the glades. Make a real alpine day out of this zero approach bolt ladder.

Kevin, I like where your head's at...better yet a ski tour of the ten mile traverse and ski down Peak 10 ;)

I'd be game.

I haven't looked closely, but I can't imagine there being too much ice on that rig...maybe a Frisco local can confirm.

Jason
J Antin
From Golden, CO
Joined May 13, 2009
1,354 points
Feb 9, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Bouldering
When I was driving back from Red Rocks about three weeks ago, Royal Flush looked like it had quite a bit of snow on it. Of course that was also right after a snowstorm. If you do it, let us know how it goes! I had the same idea briefly (very briefly) but then I remembered how much I suck at slabs. aikibujin
From Castle Rock, CO
Joined Oct 14, 2014
263 points
Feb 10, 2016
Why not carry the skis up the back and cut some turns on that rig? Tzilla Rapdrilla
Joined Jan 20, 2006
1,124 points
Feb 10, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Rocklands
There is quit a bit of snow on it. If the days stay warm like they have been it will melt quick, but of course then you will be dealing with water on it instead of snow. I was just up there on Saturday. Also I work in Frisco so I see it everyday. nate post
From Silverthorne
Joined Apr 20, 2012
1,423 points
Feb 10, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Rocklands

This is a short video clip from Saturday Feb 6 riding off Mt Royal.
nate post
From Silverthorne
Joined Apr 20, 2012
1,423 points
Feb 10, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: practice cliffs
from the road, seems like tons of snow on all the ledges right now. brian burke
From the road
Joined Nov 2, 2013
116 points
Feb 10, 2016
nate post wrote:
This is a short video clip from Saturday Feb 6 riding off Mt Royal.

Tzilla Rapdrilla wrote:
Why not carry the skis up the back and cut some turns on that rig?

DamnitHiggins
From Denver
Joined May 25, 2012
23 points
Feb 10, 2016
Frisco is not Chamonix. Royal Flush is no classic. Regardless, other climbers don't want to see scrape marks all over the route from you flailing away on snow covered slabs. Darren D.
Joined Mar 11, 2007
28 points
Feb 11, 2016
Darren D. wrote:

Maybe the scrapes will fit right in with the 1500 foot bolt ladder and all the fixed pro immediately next to gear placements. Or the 4 lane highway right below.

It seems misplaced to be worried about the aesthetic of this route. Better hop over here and let all those damn mixed climbers know not to scrape the rock on their routes.
DamnitHiggins
From Denver
Joined May 25, 2012
23 points
Feb 11, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Mountain Bandito
The central chimney/gash 5.8 to the climbers right of Royal Flush makes for a fine day of scrappy mixed climbing and can actually come into good shape in the spring, with skis strapped to the back it would be very adventurous.

Rock Climbing Photo: High up on Tony's Nightmare.
High up on Tony's Nightmare.
Taylor-B.
From Valdez, AK
Joined Oct 20, 2009
3,101 points
Feb 11, 2016
Kevin Pula wrote:

It seems contradictory to be seeking an alpine adventure by climbing a sport climb 5 minutes from the parking lot.
Darren D.
Joined Mar 11, 2007
28 points
Feb 11, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Bocan

Coin slot? You ride with Justin Ibarra?
Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Joined Feb 15, 2006
1,377 points
Feb 11, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Rocklands
Scott McMahon wrote:
Coin slot? You ride with Justin Ibarra?

yes and no
nate post
From Silverthorne
Joined Apr 20, 2012
1,423 points
Feb 11, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Rocklands
Kevin Pula wrote:
Nice! What aspect was that couloir on? Same as the trees in the 2nd half of the video? My thought was to climb Royal Flush with skis and then ski down the royal glades into town. Could just skin up the back but the climb is intriguing to me. Also like the idea of the 2nd commenter about linking it with the 10 mile traverse.

The Couloir drops down on the west side above the interstate. I've thought about climbing Royal Flush and then riding the coin slot but I never really want to mess with it when the snow is good, so I always just skin or hike up in 45 minutes, its just to easy. You should do whatever your heart desires though. Frisco is sort of like Chamonix and Mount Royal reminds me of Mount Blanc except a little more hard core, but shhh don't tell anyone because I'm trying to keep it a secret.
nate post
From Silverthorne
Joined Apr 20, 2012
1,423 points
Feb 11, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Bocan
nate post wrote:

haha I think Fritz already let the cat out with his ten mile book.
Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Joined Feb 15, 2006
1,377 points
Feb 11, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Bocan
Taylor-B. wrote:
Sneaky 1 on Peak 1 is a very nice line and makes for an excellent ski mountaineering objective...mountainproject.com/v/sneaky-1... Three Tiers and Tony's Nightmare are also a great ski mountaineering lines or link-up to gain the ridge for a Ten Mile adventure.

This looks amazing. Kind of hard to discern the ski line though.
Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Joined Feb 15, 2006
1,377 points
Feb 11, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Mountain Bandito
Scott McMahon wrote:
This looks amazing. Kind of hard to discern the ski line though.

Yeah, it's an amazing ski line, IMHO a classic! It's not an easy line to spot from the road. Just locate the big rock towers on PK 1 and look for the improbable and aesthetic looking couloir that threads through them. And those towers have some nice rock climbs and I even heard a rumor that there are some bolts on one of the routes. :)
Taylor-B.