Route Guide    Partners    Forum    Photos    What's New    Journal        
Sign Up  |   Log In:Login with Facebook
REI Community
Partner for Cathedral Peak this weekend
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
Page 1 of 1.  
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
Apr 29, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Lover's Leap
I'm going to be in the area this weekend and want to go climb Cathedral Peak, and maybe the Eichorn Pinnacle, depending on time. Which route taken depends on if I have a partner or not. I've got more than enough gear for any route, and an extra harness and personal gear if needed. We'll start early, climb light and fast and enjoy the view. If you are in the area or just want to go climb a classic, let me know. Max McKee
From Monterey, CA
Joined Dec 23, 2015
46 points
Apr 29, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Cold day at Smug's
Is the road up there open yet? csproul
From Davis, CA
Joined Dec 3, 2009
355 points
Apr 29, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Colonel Mustard
csproul wrote:
Is the road up there open yet?


NPS link says no.
Colonel Mustard
From Sacramento, CA
Joined Sep 13, 2005
1,469 points
Apr 29, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Lover's Leap
Damn, I must have mistaken the road plowing for it being open. I'll probably just go check out south lake tahoe or lover's leap. Maybe conditions will be better than they were in february, it was still fun though. Max McKee
From Monterey, CA
Joined Dec 23, 2015
46 points
Apr 29, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Lover's Leap
Are there any other apline style climbs around that are accessible, for a day trip? In the northern yosemite or south lake tahoe area? Max McKee
From Monterey, CA
Joined Dec 23, 2015
46 points
Apr 29, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Cold day at Smug's
If you're up for a long day, you could probably still get up to North dome from the Valley floor. Climb Royal arches and then North Dome and then return to the Valley. RA will probably be wet, but I imagine that the sunny side of North Dome is pretty clear of snow. csproul
From Davis, CA
Joined Dec 3, 2009
355 points
Apr 29, 2016
It's still a touch early for high country adventures, at least without skis. See: yosemiteconservancy.org/webcam... nkane
Joined Jun 6, 2013
23 points
Apr 29, 2016
Alpineish in south lake would be anything in emerald bay/ eagle creek canyon...try section 20 or eagle lake buttress...and if you want real alpine feel the maggiewand (Maggie's west face) is a good one....lots of beta on those with a quick supertopo forum search....if your feeling it try the emerald trilogy, all three features in a day...goodtimes..ill be at the leap this weekend but there's no
Camping yet...
Greg Carlisle
Joined Sep 14, 2010
0 points
Apr 29, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Hello
The weather for this week is not great for high objectives all around the state. 20% chance of thinderstorms for the Yosemite Valley, which is lower in elevation than all the alpiney stuff you may consider.
Accessible climbs vary based on the amount you would want to drive and the amount you would want to drive/hike AND how hard do you want to climb...
In general, based on your post, I'd say wait till the end of May (or somewhere around that time) till the pass opens, than you can do Cathedral :)

You can do Arrowhead Arete (5.8) with the spire link up, which is a longer moderate which feels like an alpiny route in the Valley. Also NORTH Buttress of Middle Cathedral, feels alpiny as in long, a bit chossy but fun. I'd call it an honest 10b/c w/o the sandbag.

mountainproject.com/v/arrowhea...

mountainproject.com/v/north-bu...
SirTobyThe3rd
Joined Mar 12, 2012
1,884 points
Apr 29, 2016
nkane wrote:
It's still a touch early for high country adventures, at least without skis. See: yosemiteconservancy.org/webcam...


Not that you shouldn't try! But bring dry socks.
nkane
Joined Jun 6, 2013
23 points
Apr 29, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Lover's Leap
SirTobyThe3rd wrote:
The weather for this week is not great for high objectives all around the state. 20% chance of thinderstorms for the Yosemite Valley, which is lower in elevation than all the alpiney stuff you may consider. Accessible climbs vary based on the amount you would want to drive and the amount you would want to drive/hike AND how hard do you want to climb... In general, based on your post, I'd say wait till the end of May (or somewhere around that time) till the pass opens, than you can do Cathedral :) You can do Arrowhead Arete (5.8) with the spire link up, which is a longer moderate which feels like an alpiny route in the Valley. Also NORTH Buttress of Middle Cathedral, feels alpiny as in long, a bit chossy but fun. I'd call it an honest 10b/c w/o the sandbag. mountainproject.com/v/arrowhea... mountainproject.com/v/north-bu...


I was just in the valley a couple weeks back, partying on the column, so I sorta want to get out of the valley and into the higher peaks. I guess what I meant when I said alpine style, I meant more alpine mountaineering than alpine rock climbing. I don't really feel like doing any long rope solos, and I don't have the mindset for a free solo, so any mountaineering routes, requiring the spiky things would be cool. Know of any?
Max McKee
From Monterey, CA
Joined Dec 23, 2015
46 points
Apr 29, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Lover's Leap
nkane wrote:
Not that you shouldn't try! But bring dry socks.


I was out in February, and skis would have been nice. It was waist to chest deep powder over a smooth granite slab. I was basically swimming in the shit, punching in my arm and ice axe, sliding down with every step, snow blowing in my face. It was fucking cool!
Max McKee
From Monterey, CA
Joined Dec 23, 2015
46 points
Apr 29, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Lover's Leap
Greg Carlisle wrote:
Alpineish in south lake would be anything in emerald bay/ eagle creek canyon...try section 20 or eagle lake buttress...and if you want real alpine feel the maggiewand (Maggie's west face) is a good one....lots of beta on those with a quick supertopo forum search....if your feeling it try the emerald trilogy, all three features in a day...goodtimes..ill be at the leap this weekend but there's no Camping yet...


Thanks! I'm probably going to go to the leap as well, but I'm interested in the maggiewand, I'll have to check it out. What are you climbing at the leap?
Max McKee
From Monterey, CA
Joined Dec 23, 2015
46 points
Apr 29, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Lover's Leap
South Maggie's East Face couloirs looks like fun! Max McKee
From Monterey, CA
Joined Dec 23, 2015
46 points
Apr 29, 2016
Will be climbing girlfriend routes....should be good up there. Those chutes on Maggie's are better with a snowboard...but could be fun if it freezes.. Greg Carlisle
Joined Sep 14, 2010
0 points


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 1 of 1.