Route Guide    Partners    Forum    Photos    What's New    Journal
Sign Up  |   Log In:Login with Facebook
REI Community
old rope, kid, need seat I can hang her in.
Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

Oct 24, 2013
Anyone ever make a hanging seat for their kid out of old rope? She is under a year and it would be nice to hang her from a tree while we boulder.

Any ideas welcome.
Spiro
Joined Dec 18, 2006
45 points
Oct 24, 2013
Haven't made a seat but we have often taken a Johnny Jump-up type seat or other light swing seats to the crag to help keep our kiddos contained and entertained while cragging.

I'd be interested in how to make a hanging seat out of rope and how much time it would take to do so.
Michael Schneiter
From Glenwood Springs, CO
Joined Apr 3, 2002
6,065 points
Oct 24, 2013
Kidco Peapod rules, zip the kid up! this was posted on Mtn Proj 3 years ago and came in very handy for the first 3 years of my kids life. she has slept in it hundreds of times and still plays in it.

kidco.com/products-page/peapod...
T Roper
From DC,VA,NM,UT,CT,MA
Joined Mar 31, 2006
730 points

Yikes.
Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
Joined Oct 13, 2002
1,635 points
Locker wrote:
"She is under a year and it would be nice to hang her from a tree while we boulder." Yikes.

Snuggled up in a tight wrap, into a backpack set aside away from cliff edges, might be warmer and more secure way of keeping a lid on the little one.
Woodchuck ATC
Joined Nov 29, 2007
505 points
Oct 24, 2013
I practice the same child mangement techniques as TR purist. Other kids at the crag are always visiting my kid in his tent. They have a blast in there. Then when it is naptime, he has a comfy bed and something to keep the sun out of his eyes and bugs off him. Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
Joined Aug 11, 2010
250 points
^^^

A LOT smarter than HANGING your child from a tree.

LOL!

;-)
Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
Joined Oct 13, 2002
1,635 points
Oct 24, 2013
What's wrong with hanging your kid from a tree in a johnny jumper?

Joshua1979
From Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Apr 14, 2010
5 points
Oct 24, 2013

The way many people are here, I can see that happening.

LOL!
Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
Joined Oct 13, 2002
1,635 points
Oct 24, 2013
I do recall taking a pic decades ago, of a climbing couple with their own home made basket device, hanging the kid from a branch about 8 ft. off the ground, right near the belayer. It looked pretty awesome, and scary too at the same time. Woodchuck ATC
Joined Nov 29, 2007
505 points
Joshua1979 wrote:
What's wrong with hanging your kid from a tree in a johnny jumper? Just don't leave him at the crag and make a post in the lost and found forum the next day ;)

Do you put your rack markings on the wrist, forehead? What do you use? Electric tape? Nail polish? Lots of questions to be answered here.
Rick Blair
From Denver
Joined Oct 16, 2007
163 points
Oct 24, 2013
Not sure what the problem is with hanging my from a tree. People put kids in jumpers all the time...anyway.

My girl likes to sit up an look around, hence my idea of being hung from a tree. I dont plan on putting her 10ft off the ground!

Don
Spiro
Joined Dec 18, 2006
45 points
Locker wrote:
"Just don't leave him at the crag and make a post in the lost and found forum the next day" The way many people are here, I can see that happening. LOL!

We were climbing X-route when it started to get dark. My second couldn't get the seat out of the tree, so we left. When we came back 10 days later to retrieve the baby, it was GONE! Baby has sentimental value. Good karma and beer for whoever returns it.
Ryan Nevius
From Estes Park, Colorado
Joined Dec 29, 2010
824 points
Rick Blair wrote:

DNA...the ultimate identifier.
Spiro
Joined Dec 18, 2006
45 points
Spiro wrote:
DNA...the ultimate identifier.

That's how locker marks all his gear.
Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Oct 20, 2010
180 points
Oct 24, 2013
Oh my gosh, somebody needs to tell that kid to get off that swing! Trees are dangerous, don't they know! You can't put your kid in a tree! They should be home sitting on the couch watching TV!

Michael Schneiter
From Glenwood Springs, CO
Joined Apr 3, 2002
6,065 points
Oct 24, 2013
someone get that kid down, inhumane treatment. Spiro
Joined Dec 18, 2006
45 points

Don't be the 1.
Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Joined May 10, 2009
1,215 points
Matt N wrote:
That's how locker marks all his gear.

Gnarly
Rick Blair
From Denver
Joined Oct 16, 2007
163 points
Oct 25, 2013
Peapod is totally the way to go.

Rock Climbing Photo: naptime at the crag
naptime at the crag
foodgeek
Joined May 27, 2009
0 points
Oct 25, 2013
The peapod is a good idea. I might have to get one for my little man. Hanging your kid from a tree in a "basket" doesnt sound like a good idea unless it was pretty deep and stable from flipping over or tipping. Maybe some type of harness or seat belt inside. My kids wouldn't have been able to do it they were always rolling around and moving too much. Travis Dustin
From Hollis, NH
Joined Jan 8, 2012
1,280 points
Oct 25, 2013
Locker wrote:
^^^ A LOT smarter than HANGING your child from a tree. LOL! ;-)

Hanging your child from a tree? Que horror!

So how old is this child anyway and why not just use a car seat?
Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Joined Jan 1, 2001
1,230 points
Oct 25, 2013
Ryan Williams wrote:
Last time I went to Cochise Stronghold, I went sport climbing at the Isle of Ewe. I was trying to onsight some climb on the back side, in that little slot canyon (or whatever it's called). There was a couple with a baby that was napping in this little seat thing. I made a powerful move to a big chicken-head and pulled a baseball sized chunk of granite off the slightly overhanging wall. Before I knew it, and as I was yelling rock, I was watching the death rock falling towards the baby. It missed by about 3 feet. The odds are with you, but they are only called "odds" because they end with a 1. Don't be the 1.

that is why i want to only go bouldering! I do love the Stronghold, magical place.
Spiro
Joined Dec 18, 2006
45 points
Oct 25, 2013
Stich wrote:
Hanging your child from a tree? Que horror! So how old is this child anyway and why not just use a car seat?

she is 4 months old, so she is pretty stationary now. That is a pretty good idea! Our car seat is pretty heavy, so i was hoping for something lighter, but i may just suck it up.
Spiro
Joined Dec 18, 2006
45 points
Oct 25, 2013
I've used the carseat before and it works good just a pain to lug around. I've also brought out a pack and play to places with a shor approach. Lately me and my wife jst get a 3rd climber so we can switch off and play and take care of the kids. The kids enjoy this much more and is easier on us so we're not distracted climbing or belaying when the baby was fussing. Travis Dustin
From Hollis, NH
Joined Jan 8, 2012
1,280 points
Oct 25, 2013
Spiro wrote:

Yeah, don't trying hiking in to do Plumb Line in Vedauwoo with it on your arm or it will pump you out. Ha ha. The thing that's nice about the car seat is that it has the seat belt and sun visor. You can put the kid in a chest carrier and put the car seat upside down on the top of your pack to hike somewhere. That works well, too.
Stich