REI Community
search
Advanced
Not Reading or Just Spraying?
Page 1 of 4.  1  2  3  4   Next>   Last>>

Nov 4, 2015
Some things that seem to regularly surface....

• someone asks for route suggestions in the 5.x - 5.y range and invariably they'll get a recommendation for a super classic that's 4 grades harder than 5.y.
Eg:
A: "Oh man you gotta do Irene's Arete!!! Super cool!"

• a beginner with toe problems asks for shoe suggestions; Mr. Hardman offers up super high end aggressive downturned expert shoes.

• where should I go climbing in late July/early August?; people start suggesting baking desert areas

• "I want to move to a small mountain town with good access to local sport climbing"; someone suggests Denver, someone else says New Paltz
Marc801
From Sandy, Utah
Joined Feb 25, 2014
0 points
This thread needs more guns. Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Joined Nov 29, 2007
214 points
I don't know, but you gotta do Astroman! So sick! Creed A
Joined Apr 15, 2012
680 points
Nov 4, 2015
Sounds like you're expecting climbers to post intelligently

which is hilarious
3,040 points
Spray and neuter, definitely. Old lady H
From Boise, Idaho
Joined Aug 24, 2015
30 points
Old lady H wrote:
Spray and neuter, definitely.

dogs have no place at the gym
T Roper
From DC,VA,NM,UT,CT,MA
Joined Mar 31, 2006
730 points
Nov 4, 2015
It's not that we don't have the right answers...it's just that you're asking the wrong question! csproul
From Davis, CA

Soloing is selfish. Zac.St.Jules Jules
From New Hampshire
Joined Dec 20, 2013
1,008 points
Zac.St.Jules wrote:
Soloing is selfish.

Speaking of which did i tell about my latest send...it was just awesome....there i was...i ..me...i...me,,,, and then i
Muscrat
Joined Oct 27, 2011
3,040 points
Guns don't kill people, x4's kill people Jake T
From Prescott AZ
Joined Jun 10, 2011
0 points
Bouldering is great! amarius
Joined Feb 23, 2012
0 points
T Roper wrote:
dogs have no place at the gym

Oh! We were talking about dogs???
Old lady H
From Boise, Idaho
Joined Aug 24, 2015
30 points
Nov 4, 2015
Drones are dangerous to climbers.
Drones are aid.
Zac.St.Jules Jules
From New Hampshire
Joined Dec 20, 2013
1,008 points
And what is the number for Rock and Resole? FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Joined Nov 19, 2009
15 points
Nov 4, 2015
Well, I don't know what you expected but in the gunks this would be highaltitudeflatulentexpulsion
From Colorado
Joined Oct 29, 2012
0 points
Marc, thanks for getting this tomfoolery started. Fun! FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Joined Nov 19, 2009
15 points
Marc801 wrote:
Do people really not read a post requesting info or are they just interested in pushing/spraying their own view? Usually there are reasonable well thought-out responses, but invariably there will be some kind of crazy outlier mixed in. Some things that seem to regularly surface.... * someone asks for route suggestions in the 5.x - 5.y range and invariably they'll get a recommendation for a super classic that's 4 grades harder than 5.y. Eg: Q:"We're going to the Tetons. I lead up to 5.6 trad and my partner maxes out at 5.5. What recommended routes are there?" A: "Oh man you gotta do Irene's Arete!!! Super cool!" * a beginner with toe problems asks for shoe suggestions; Mr. Hardman offers up super high end aggressive downturned expert shoes. * where should I go climbing in late July/early August?; people start suggesting baking desert areas * "I want to move to a small mountain town with good access to local sport climbing"; someone suggests Denver, someone else says New Paltz

An actual reply to our esteemed op!

Simple: starts off as a one on one conversation, and digresses as more people get involved, becoming a party, a brawl, or both. And yes, people really do not care overly much what anyone is saying, but that relieves us of the obligation of cooking breakfast in the morning for our cheap date. OP can always just pm the handful they'd like to have a second date with. Just be careful how you phrase it. : )
Old lady H
From Boise, Idaho
Joined Aug 24, 2015
30 points
Nov 4, 2015
Do people really not read a post requesting info or are they just interested in pushing/spraying their own view? Usually there are reasonable well thought-out responses, but i. .

"I want to move to a small mountain town with good access to local sport climbing"; someone suggests Denver, someone else says New Paltz". . .

Your double negative begged to be answered, yes no not ever unless some-times only then when?

The Gunks added bolted anchors, that get top roped off. ..pre placed gear for pseudo - sport .
And there is also a quarry near by for true clip ups.

But did you see that I recommend Westchester Ny, Maryland, ( DC area) and New Jersey?
<{%^D
Michael Schneider
Joined Apr 24, 2014
85 points
Nov 4, 2015
The best crag pack is the one having the most fun. I think Alex Lowe said that. FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Joined Nov 19, 2009
15 points
FrankPS wrote:
And what is the number for Rock and Resole?

Hey, that reminds me. It's almost ice climbing season in Canada!
Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Joined Nov 29, 2007
214 points
Nov 4, 2015
So there is this sick crack I'm thinking about bolting... Any advice? Robert Murner
From Ga
Joined Sep 15, 2014
50 points
Nov 5, 2015
this thread is perfect. I swear, every time i go on MP i get free entertainment. speaking of entertainment, where's trollanor? I kind of miss her incoherent babbling. eli poss
From Durango, Co
Joined May 9, 2014
136 points
Nov 5, 2015
Jake T wrote:
Guns don't kill people, x4's kill people

X4s and GriGris. I don't allow myself to be belayed by GriGris, Cinches, MegaJuls, MinorJuls, or Alpine Clicks. Furthermore, I don't allow anyone to belay me who has ever used one of these devices in the past. They cannot be trusted. I will only be belayed by a tube style device. However, if you use the pinch and pull method on your tube style device, I will not let you belay me.

I've been bouldering a lot lately.

The hip belay is a lost art.
Creed A
Joined Apr 15, 2012
680 points

Page 1 of 4.  1  2  3  4   Next>   Last>>

Mountain Project

The Definitive Climbing Resource

MTB Project

Next Generation MTB Trail Maps

Powder Project

Backcountry Ski Maps & Secret Stashes
FREE Stickers · Gyms · People · RSS · School of Rock · Contact · About
Terms · Privacy © 2017 Adventure Projects, Inc.