Route Guide    Partners    Forum    Photos    What's New    Journal
REI Community
New feature: Sorting Routes
Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

Site Landlord
Left to Right!
Right to Left!
Alphabetical for you old-schoolers!

Routes in Mountain Project can finally be sorted. Route and Area owners/admins can now sort routes at an area. Once sorted, you have the option to view them L to R, R to L, or alphabetically (as in the past). We store your preference.

This is a nice feature for the web site, and a HUGE feature for the mobile app we're working on. Now as I have my phone at the base of the crag, the route lists line up with reality in front of me - cool!

We have collected 70,000 routes over the last 10 years. I spent a few hours and sorted most of Boulder Canyon and Eldorado Canyon, which amounts to 2,100 routes. So at this point, the vast majority are NOT sorted. It will take time for the admins and owners to sort them.

In the mean time, here are some examples:
Cob Rock, Boulder Canyon
16,590 points
Brilliant! Thanks! Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Joined May 10, 2009
1,215 points
Jun 7, 2011
I don't see a way for me to do anything on the Thailand page. Will I have this access or is it just you guys that have to do all the work? Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Joined May 10, 2009
1,215 points
Site Landlord
Jun 7, 2011
Go to an area containing routes. Hover over the edit link -> sort routes. Andy Laakmann
From Bend, OR
Joined Jan 1, 2001
1,805 points
Andy Laakmann wrote:
Go to an area containing routes. Hover over the edit link -> sort routes.

It seems you have to be an Admin or Submittor for that edit link to come up. For instance, I could do Green's and Owl's Cliffs, but I couldn't do any Rumney areas, only routes that I have submitted.
M Sprague
From New England
Joined Nov 9, 2006
4,747 points
Site Landlord
M Sprague wrote:

That's correct:
Owners of a route can sort just that route.
Owners of an area can sort all routes in the area.
Admins can sort everything that they're an admin of.
Nick Wilder
From The Bubble
Joined Jan 1, 2005
1,461 points
Jun 7, 2011
"Thanks" for a great improvement...
Not iPad friendly for the drag drop thingy at present.
Mike Howard
Joined Dec 7, 2006
3,405 points
Very nice!!! Brad "Stonyman" Killough
From Alabama
Joined Jan 18, 2008
5,070 points
Jun 7, 2011
Great work. Sorting routes is fun.
Illusion Crags
John Hegyes
From Las Vegas, NV
Joined Feb 2, 2002
3,995 points
Jun 7, 2011
Very slick. The sorting interface is a breeze and nicely done. I had it easy for The Overlook's South/East side since the New Mexico pages have historically been done with a numerical preface on each route. With this sorting, this won't be necessary anymore. Well done guys. Jason Halladay
From Los Alamos, NM
Joined Oct 19, 2005
9,625 points
Jun 7, 2011
Friggin Brilliant! Took me all of two minutes to sort my areas (not that there are very many...) Cory Harelson
From Boise, ID
Joined Mar 25, 2008
2,330 points
Jun 7, 2011
Ugggg...I have so much to sort. I guess I asked for it ;)

Great upgrade!

kBobby
From Spokane, WA
Joined Oct 5, 2001
1,245 points
Site Landlord
Bobby Hanson wrote:
Well done fellas! Request: Can you make the sorting available to all users, at least in the short term? It will make the sorting of all of the established areas much quicker. I am happy to sort some of the areas near me (LCC and BCC), but I don't have access to most of them.

Make a request, and I'll grant you short-term access. Unfortunately, we've had a handful of instances of MP users blowing up (usually from a forum "discussion") and not playing nice in the sandbox, so we can't just make it universal.

Bobby, giving you access. You can go to any area with routes, find the red "edit area" link the title, hover over it, and choose "Sort Routes".

Thanks for your help!
Nick Wilder
From The Bubble
Joined Jan 1, 2005
1,461 points
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks, Nick. One more request: could you please make AREAS sortable also? The areas in both Big Cottonwood and Little Cottonwood Canyons are quite naturally sorted, and it would be nice to reflect that in the database. kBobby
From Spokane, WA
Joined Oct 5, 2001
1,245 points
Jun 7, 2011
Nick, Andy, you guys rock! This is the best improvement I've seen and I am currently working at sorting the routes on areas I've posted. If you guys come down this way climbing, I'll definately buy you a couple beers! Bill Olszewski
From Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Mar 10, 2007
8,610 points
Nice work, Nick. M.Morley
From Sacramento, CA
Joined Jan 1, 2002
6,280 points
Thank you, Nick. jcurl
Joined Apr 22, 2010
0 points
Jun 8, 2011
Really cool feature! Nice work, and thanks for all the time you put into creating it and sorting all those routes! Rich Farnham
Joined Aug 21, 2002
203 points
Jun 23, 2011

Julius Beres
From Boulder, CO
Joined Jun 27, 2008
120 points
Site Landlord
Jun 23, 2011
Julius Beres wrote:
So, now that this feature exists and areas are getting sorted, could you please add an option to print out routes left to right when printing a guide to an area? Print a Mini Guide option still only does alphabetical, unless I am missing something.

Great idea - and done!

Joined Jun 27, 2008
120 points
Aug 5, 2011
Julius Beres wrote:

Nick Wilder wrote:
Great idea - and done!

I can't find this feature when trying to print a mini guide for Vedauwoo... Am I missing something??
Derek W