Route Guide    Partners    Forum    Photos    What's New    Journal        
Sign Up  |   Log In:Login with Facebook
REI Community
Lost - Equipment at Moss Island
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
Page 1 of 1.  
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
May 11, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Leading "Chunky Chimbly" at sunset
I recently lost a BD .75 cam, with a Madrock quickdraw and BD Oz attached at Moss Island, near the base of Power Tower or Sno-White. It is apparently no longer there. If anyone has found it, please let me know- though I'm sure some asshole walking around swiped it Nolan Huther
From Clarkson University
Joined Dec 26, 2014
650 points
May 11, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Cold day at Smug's
LOL You can't keep track of your shit and leave it on the ground and someone else is the "asshole" for picking it up. You really know how to motivate someone to return your gear. csproul
From Davis, CA
Joined Dec 3, 2009
355 points
May 11, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Leading "Chunky Chimbly" at sunset
csproul wrote:
LOL You can't keep track of your shit and leave it on the ground and someone else is the "asshole" for picking it up. You really know how to motivate someone to return your gear.


Good point about my lack of ability to keep track of my gear, but that comment is directed more to the graffiti-spraying-vape-blowing crowd that also frequents the town park (many a climber at Moss Island is familiar with them and their handywork). I've met another climber who had a similar problem of having a piece of gear stolen there, but that was years ago. I contacted the police and the local climbing community page, the gear was reported to not be there anymore where it was left and no one knows about it, which leads me to believe that it was probably one of the typical walk-in-and-disappear-for-half-an-hour-and-walk-out-smelling-like-weed crowd that took it as a little trophy or to Craigslist it for a few bucks in a little while, as any climber would have probably turned it in or reported it, I'm very trusting in the local climbing community which is very friendly in my number of visits to this crag. This was just a last hope of not having to lose a pretty penny.

Edit- I also see your not likely not familiar with a small crag in Central New York, but this is a local spot where we share it with a park in the middle of town where the local populus comes through all the time, and they are not always model citizens. The island is heavily graffitied, and although the local community (outside of climbing too) is fairly nice, people abusing the environment here is a touchy subject among many local climbers. Stolen gear is just another annoyance
Nolan Huther
From Clarkson University
Joined Dec 26, 2014
650 points
May 11, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Cold day at Smug's
Nolan Huther wrote:
Good point about my lack of ability to keep track of my gear, but that comment is directed more to the graffiti-spraying-vape-blowing crowd that also frequents the town park (many a climber at Moss Island is familiar with them and their handywork). I've met another climber who had a similar problem of having a piece of gear stolen there, but that was years ago. I contacted the police and the local climbing community page, the gear was reported to not be there anymore where it was left and no one knows about it, which leads me to believe that it was probably one of the typical walk-in-and-disappear-for-half-an-hour-and-walk-out-smelling-like-weed crowd that took it as a little trophy or to Craigslist it for a few bucks in a little while, as any climber would have probably turned it in or reported it, I'm very trusting in the local climbing community which is very friendly in my number of visits to this crag. This was just a last hope of not having to lose a pretty penny

Ahh..sorry about your gear, hope you get it back.
csproul
From Davis, CA
Joined Dec 3, 2009
355 points
May 11, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Leading "Chunky Chimbly" at sunset
csproul wrote:
Ahh..sorry about your gear, hope you get it back.


Thank you, I hope so too
Nolan Huther
From Clarkson University
Joined Dec 26, 2014
650 points


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 1 of 1.