REI Community
search
Advanced
Long shaddy Red Rock routes?

Apr 30, 2009
I'd like to hear people's favorite long, cool routes. Any grade. Michael Ybarra
From on the road
Joined Jan 23, 2008
20 points
Apr 30, 2009
Dream of Wild Turkeys and Sour Mash (both 5.10a), on Black Velvet Wall. Awesome fun exposed climbing, great pro, and shade for all but a few hours in the morning. I haven't done Epinephrine yet, but I'm assuming that will be on my list of favorites too, once I climb it, and if you're a stronger climber than I, Fiddler on the Roof looks fantastic. . .

Frogland and Dark Shadows (both 5.8) are also nice, sustained shady climbs.
Cory Harelson
From Boise, ID
Joined Mar 25, 2008
2,330 points
Apr 30, 2009
Crimson Chrysalis should be mostly in the shade, too.

Agree that you may want a later start for Black Velvet routes, we did Prince of Darkness a couple years ago in May and had sun until late morning or early afternoon. I think Epi should be fine as you're in the chimneys in the morning.
Bret

Community Pillar in Pine Creek. brucelacroix
From Carson City, NV.
Joined Nov 30, 2006
2,144 points
May 3, 2009
Adventure Punks.
Argueably the best 5.10 in Red Rock.

mountainproject.com/v/nevada/r...

josh
J. Thompson
From denver, co
Joined Jan 1, 2001
1,440 points
Aug 30, 2012
Karsten wrote:
For a long fun day you should try Celtic Cracks (Craics) for a nice shady route. Approach in the cool morning on any of the fun First Creek Slab routes and then taste the Shamrock roof.

Does this clmb really get shade most of the day? What about the routes under it, like lucky lady? Seems to me that it is in the sun
Robin like the bird
From mountain center ,CA
Joined Jun 17, 2008
110 points
Aug 30, 2012
I'm hoping with the installation of wag bag dispensers by the CLC that most of the routes aren't as shaddy as they used to be. Doug Foust
From Henderson, Nevada
Joined Sep 14, 2008
45 points
Aug 30, 2012
Robin like the bird wrote:

Celtic Cracks does get shade most of the day in general. The slabs below start to spend most of the day in the shade in the early/mid fall. Mid-summer they are in the sun all day.

Also, RIP Mike Ybarra, the OP, who was killed in a tragic accident in the Sierra this past summer. A good friend and an amazing climber who will be missed.
John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Joined Feb 1, 2004
1,495 points
Aug 30, 2012
Doug Foust wrote:

Laughing Out Loud, sir. or whatever the kids call it these days... Touche! I sure hope you're right.
smassey
From CO
Joined Dec 2, 2008
170 points
Aug 30, 2012
Doug Foust wrote:

Well done Sir!
Clayton Knudson
From Moab, UT
Joined Oct 16, 2011
10 points
Aug 30, 2012
Doug Foust wrote:

Yes, I nod my head to you sir
Robin like the bird
From mountain center ,CA
Joined Jun 17, 2008
110 points
Sep 4, 2012

Just to clarlify what time shade acttully hit this wall.
Robin like the bird
From mountain center ,CA
Joined Jun 17, 2008
110 points
Sep 4, 2012
Robin like the bird wrote:
The whole labyrniinth wall on yesterday goes into the shade around 1:30. And I would bet that as it get closer the winter solstice it will get shady earlier. Just to clarlify what time shade acttully hit this wall.

If you have Google Earth, you can get an idea when the routes go into the shade. Push the sun icon on the top. You can scroll through the different times of the day to see where the sun and shade is located. It works fairly well.
sqwirll
From Las Vegas
Joined Mar 12, 2006
1,065 points

Mountain Project

The Definitive Climbing Resource

MTB Project

Next Generation MTB Trail Maps

Powder Project

Backcountry Ski Maps & Secret Stashes
FREE Stickers · Gyms · People · RSS · School of Rock · Contact · About
Terms · Privacy © 2017 Adventure Projects, Inc.