Route Guide    Journal    What's New    Partners    Forum
Sign Up  |   Log In:Login with Facebook
REI Community
I have caught montane lying about product specs, what should i do?
Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

Mar 30, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: contacted the manufacturers of the fabric
contacted the manufacturers of the fabric

Rock Climbing Photo: What montane has to say about their fabric
What montane has to say about their fabric

i have all ready caught montane lying before i messaged them on twitter about me saying that their ultra alpine 38-5 doesn't weight 550 grams and they raised it to 610 grams (i still think they are lying)
montane.co.uk/en/men/equipment...
so i have caught them flat out lying numerous times, is there anything i can do with this?
that guy named seb
From Britland
Joined Oct 24, 2015
Mar 30, 2016

Just let your dollars speak for you by taking your business elsewhere.
FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Joined Nov 19, 2009
15 points
Mar 30, 2016
FrankPS wrote:
Buy from someone else? It's probably not worth pursuing some kind of charges, complaint, etc., but that's up to you. Just let your dollars speak for you by taking your business elsewhere.

I think once the reviews start coming out they will get in quite a bit of hot water, never have I seen such blatant lying by a company though.
that guy named seb
From Britland
Joined Oct 24, 2015
Mar 30, 2016
Next thing you know SoIll is going to be claiming that what they are making are actual climbing shoes. Mike Brady
From Van Diesel, OR
Joined Jul 14, 2014
551 points
Mar 30, 2016
that guy named seb wrote:

That it's 10% heavier? Honestly that's pretty normal.
Tim Zander
Joined Sep 27, 2010
Mar 30, 2016
Tim Zander wrote:
That it's 10% heavier? Honestly that's pretty normal.

I'm still pretty sure that the listed weight is to low for what it is, combine that with them flat out lying about the fabric and i don't think many people will be happy. They also lie about the reinforcement fibers in the X-pac, montane say dyneema the manufacturer says polyester.
that guy named seb
From Britland
Joined Oct 24, 2015
Mar 30, 2016
that guy named seb wrote:
is there anything i can do with this?

probably should make a long blog post about the state of the climbing community
Nathanael
From Riverside, CA
Joined May 27, 2011
136 points
Mar 30, 2016
that guy named seb wrote:

In that case the whole industry is f-ed.
cilogear.com/materials.html

"Dimension Polyant VX21:
Found in the Wings of the Center Panel:
75L, 60L, 45L and 40L / 40B WorkSacks, as well as the bottom sides of the 45L, and the bottom of the 20L.
210d Hi Tenacity Nylon laminated in a five ply sandwich with dacron X-Pac for rip resistance and structural stability. This fabric is 200 psi waterproof."
Tim Zander
Joined Sep 27, 2010
Mar 30, 2016
Nathanael wrote:
probably should make a long blog post about the state of the climbing community

haha, I agree. you sound like quite the blowhard
Tim Zander
Joined Sep 27, 2010
Mar 30, 2016

If you want to see a lying company, check out Volkswagen, Enron etc.

This perceived slight, if even true, pales in comparison.
ChrisN
From Morro Bay, CA
Joined Oct 14, 2014
ChrisN wrote:
You took the time to find the maker of the fabric and contact them about it's construction? That seems a little excessive. If you want to see a lying company, check out Volkswagen, Enron etc. This perceived slight, if even true, pales in comparison.

I'm currently looking at making my own pack so i'm doing tons and tons of research coming up with patterns, working out the weight and cost of the finished product all before i even make it, so i started to familiarize my self with the weights and properties of lots of different fabrics and looking at lots of other companies to see what they are doing with their packs. So as i was searching through a dozen or so backpack manufacturers i came across montane's new pack and when you see something that defies all logic and previous knowledge of similiar laminates and textiles, all hours of research you have done, it's pretty weird to see some kind of crazy miracle fabric by a big outdoors company completely un-announced.
Any way if it was a magical miracle fabric i would totally have to find a way to get my self some of this fabric because it would be amazingly light and durable, the true holy grail of pack fabrics. That sir, is why i contacted the manufacturer.
that guy named seb
From Britland
Joined Oct 24, 2015
You should show them this video

Burcheydawwwwwwg
Joined Jan 9, 2012
750 points
Adam Burch wrote:
You should show them this video

what a kunt
that guy named seb
From Britland
Joined Oct 24, 2015
You should show them this video

Can you screen shot the moment at 2:25 and make it your new profile pic? Look at those nuts!
jason.cre
Joined Aug 6, 2014
U spelled cunt wrong HBTHREE
From ma
Joined Nov 21, 2009
that guy named seb wrote:
what a kunt

He's mean! Let boycott him before his company gets off the ground! Who can I complain to about this?!
Brendan Blanchard

deez nuts
Nathanael
From Riverside, CA
Joined May 27, 2011
136 points
Mar 31, 2016
That climb went horribly btw, i cant bare watching the whole video so i don't know if i say how it went, i'm awful on this granite, rounded weathered shit. Fucking dartmoor granite. that guy named seb
From Britland
Joined Oct 24, 2015
Cute accent, bloke. FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Joined Nov 19, 2009
15 points
FrankPS wrote:
Cute accent, bloke.

u cheeky wanka
that guy named seb
From Britland
Joined Oct 24, 2015
Mar 31, 2016
Duh. Everyone knows there's lower gravity in Britain.

But seriously. Maybe they posted specs for the size small pack and you bought a size large. Pretty standard practice to post the lowest measured specs for a given product.
Matt.Zia
From Leadville, CO
Joined Mar 13, 2012
66 points
Mar 31, 2016
Great video dude. Nice setting, compelling characters I'm looking forward to more. Liked and subscribed Harry Netzer
Joined Dec 21, 2011
110 points
Mar 31, 2016
If seb is right and they're been falsifying their specs, then I care. False advertising is wrong. I want to live in a country where manufacturers and retailers don't make claims that are factually wrong. kevin neville
From Somerville, MA
Joined Jun 20, 2013
Mar 31, 2016
That video was really tough to watch.. It gives me the same feeling I get when my girlfriend flips on the bachelor and I can't look away... shame dahigdon
From phoenix, Az
Joined Jan 5, 2015
Apr 1, 2016
Makes sense now in context (the research was not just to try to 'catch' the company). ChrisN
From Morro Bay, CA