REI Community
search
Advanced
Human shit at Thunder Ridge
Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

Mar 20, 2017
My wife stepped in fresh human shit at thunder ridge Sunday with TP right next to it. I really can't believe this still happens. Wtf is wrong with some people. Todd Bruns
From Golden , Colorado
Joined Sep 12, 2014
0 points
Mar 20, 2017
Todd Bruns wrote:

I wonder if the people who left their USED wag bag there ran out of wag bags?
Yeah... PACK IT OUT (or at least bury it 200'+ from human traffic).
Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Joined Jan 1, 2001
21,690 points
Mar 20, 2017
I share your disgust, but the people that do that don't care about these posts. FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Joined Nov 19, 2009
15 points
Mar 20, 2017
Yeah I agree. And it's so easy to bury there due to the burn making the top soil really loose. Aghhhh so infuriating. I would expect this somewhere like clear creek but not there. Oy Todd Bruns
From Golden , Colorado
Joined Sep 12, 2014
0 points
Mar 20, 2017

It's sad and common. What a day spoiler.
Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Joined Feb 15, 2006
105 points
Mar 20, 2017
not potentially a hiker? Morgan Patterson
Joined Oct 13, 2009
8,157 points
Mar 20, 2017
No definitely a climber. We passed a group of 2 on our approach. Should have yelled at them but didn't have the energy. Todd Bruns
From Golden , Colorado
Joined Sep 12, 2014
0 points
Mar 20, 2017
I'd just feel wrong crapping on a trail, and would be looking for a hole or a rock to cover it and or myself! Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Joined Feb 15, 2006
105 points
Mar 20, 2017
I had the pleasure of standing next to a pile of crap at the third belay on the Bastille crack (on 3/17). You are 1 pitch from the top of (arguably) the single most popular route in all of Colorado. And you drop a deuce.

I was not impressed.
Ray Lovestead
From Boulder, CO
Joined Jan 9, 2008
52 points
Scott McMahon wrote:
It's a cross between lack of education, stupidity and stupidity. Oh an a dose of not giving a fuck. It's sad and common. What a day spoiler.

You forgot selfishness/inconsideration.
Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Joined Jan 1, 2001
21,690 points
6 days ago
I see posts like this so often I almost suspect there is a cabal of rogue scat fetishists climbing all over the front range leaving unwelcome gifts for the rest of us. Matthew Windchime
From denver
Joined Jul 7, 2015
5 points
6 days ago
It's sad. Having noticed an increase of shit like this in the past few years at local crags I'm generally curious how/if we can solve this issue? Are the climbers truly ignorant of how to handle their shit in the outdoors or do they know better and just being selfish/inconsiderate? Or a bit of both?

From a recent visit to a local crag, El Rito:

Rock Climbing Photo: Nice try? Used WagBag left behind.
Nice try? Used WagBag left behind.
Jason Halladay
From Los Alamos, NM
Joined Oct 19, 2005
9,730 points
Jason Halladay wrote:
do they know better and just being selfish/inconsiderate? Or a bit of both?

This. The climber population, like the human population in general, is full of selfish, inconsiderate A-holes. Only way to solve this problem is to speak up when people are doing it. Uncomfortable? Yes. But public shame is probably the only solution. As a community, we are probably going to get to the point (or are already there) where wag bags are a mandatory part of your climbing kit. If this is the case, then you don't even need to be all spy vs. spy on people, you just need to notice that someone leaves to go crap and doesn't take a wag bag. Boom. Politely ask them, WTF?
J. Albers
From Colorado
Joined Jul 11, 2008
1,228 points
6 days ago
How about launching crap off a belay ledge so it contaminates a bunch of grips on two immensely popular routes? Bad deed doing your duty with absolute disregard for others. A few weeks ago on Cynical Pinnacle :

"WARNING: somebody pooped on the first belay ledge Wench's and threw it down to the base of the route. There are little bits of poop scattered at the base and a pretty sizable amount on top of the start. Be warned, my climbing partner got poop-hands this weekend. It was super gross.

If you are the culprit and you find yourself reading this, please go back and clean it up thoroughly. Two of the most classic climbs in the state, and you literally soiled them." WARNING: somebody pooped on the first belay ledge Wench's and threw it down to the base of the route. There are little bits of poop scattered at the base and a pretty sizable amount on top of the start. Be warned, my climbing partner got poop-hands this weekend. It was super gross. If you are the culprit and you find yourself reading this, please go back and clean it up thoroughly. Two of the most classic climbs in the state, and you literally soiled them.
ABB
Joined Mar 1, 2007
0 points
6 days ago
Of course, none of the offenders would ever read this thread.
But they do need to read. . .

Rock Climbing Photo: How to shit in the woods
How to shit in the woods
Steve Williams
From Denver, CO
Joined Jul 15, 2005
0 points
6 days ago
The last time we were at thunder a gal pooped 25 ft from is this for real... I only know this because we caught her in the act. Instead of burying it properly, she put a couple leaves on it. My dog, being the poop lover that she is, had her way with the delicacy (poop). I was pretty pissed until she came back around the corner to pet our dog who proceeded to lick her face. The moral of the story is dispose of your shit properly. Monty
From Golden, CO
Joined Mar 13, 2006
2,664 points
Monty wrote:

Well leaves start the biodegrading process of course!
Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Joined Feb 15, 2006
105 points
6 days ago
Anywhere that is a good transition from the gym, I suppose...
And when you get large numbers, the statistics eventually mean you get a few bad apples.
Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Joined Jan 1, 2001
21,690 points
Animals poop outside. It hasn't killed anyone yet. Russ Keane
Joined Feb 8, 2013
80 points
Russ Keane wrote:
Animals poop outside. It hasn't killed anyone yet.

Animal poop is considerably different than human poop. Stepping in human shit is also considerably different than stepping in animal poop.

And that still is no excuse for disgusting lazy behavior. Also go up to Rollins Pass and take a look at the sea of white from all the people shitting everywhere and just leaving their TP on top.
Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Joined Feb 15, 2006
105 points
Russ Keane wrote:
Animals poop outside. It hasn't killed anyone yet.

Easily the dumbest post of the week.
Marc801
From Sandy, Utah
Joined Feb 25, 2014
0 points
6 days ago
I've been saying for years that I never see or hear any mention of LNT at climbing gyms. If most start climbing at the gym this seems like a good place to make a change.

Go on the AT and you see LNT principals in every lean-to.
Tylerpratt
From Litchfield, Connecticut
Joined Feb 25, 2016
0 points
Tylerpratt wrote:
Go on the AT and you see LNT principals in every lean-to.

Growing up back east in the Boy Scouts this was DRILLED (no nasty jokes) into us. Leave every campsite better than you found it, and we still practice that now.

I wonder if it's generational or geographic. It's been almost 11 years since I lived back East which of course is alot of population growth, but I've never seen trash and waste in the woods like I've seen here in CO. Outside of typical "under the bridge" party spots of course.
Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Joined Feb 15, 2006
105 points
6 days ago
First, I agree people should dispose of their waste properly.... but, your wife should also watch where she steps. I mean you stated that there was used TP right next to it, that should have been indication enough that a land mine was waiting for her. She is partly to blame for the fecal matter squeezing between her toes. jleining
From CO
Joined Apr 28, 2007
5 points
Russ Keane wrote:
Animals poop outside. It hasn't killed anyone yet.

^...weak

and not accurate

wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/11/4...

"Waterborne Outbreaks

Thirty-one outbreaks were waterborne: 21 from recreational water and 10 from drinking water. Recreational water outbreaks were first reported in 1991; 14 (67%) occurred in lakes or ponds"

Pack your merde out, or bury it properly.
yukonjack
Joined Mar 20, 2015
0 points
Russ Keane wrote:
Animals poop outside. It hasn't killed anyone yet.

Animals don't hang out at the base of most climbs and shit their either.
Amimals do-do (pun intended) all kinds of things that as humans we do-not.
But no less, this is not quite correct. Amoebic dysentery does kill.
Tony B