Route Guide    Partners    Forum    Photos    What's New    Journal

Luke Koppa
From Fort Collins, CO
Joined Feb 18, 2014
96 points
Oct 19, 2015
Luke Koppa wrote:
So as Ice climbing/Ski season approach, I wanted to look into a rumor I had heard last year. A guy told me to tape hand warmers on your wrist, around where you can see your veins, and that this will keep your fingers just as warm as using the warmers on your palm or back of the hand. I haven't tried it, but I wanted to know if anyone did this because it seems like it would be awesome for warm fingers while maintaining dexterity. And I know I should just suffer through the screamin barfies and all but I figured I'd ask. thanks!

That's exactly what I do, and it works quite well (for skiing at any rate - I haven't ice climbed since 1985). In fact I have a pair of hand warmer sized pouches with velcro straps to do the same thing but without the tape and easily removable. They are made by Grabber, the primary maker of chemical hand warmers.
Marc801
From Sandy, Utah
Joined Feb 25, 2014
64 points
Oct 19, 2015
Rock Climbing Photo: At the BRC
I can't speak for ice climbing, but for cold rock climbs I use a system with knit wrist warmers.
I cut holes in them and slip the iron oxide type chemical hand warmers inside before putting them on my wrists. I never had much luck with a hand warmer in my chalk bag, but these seem to help a lot.
They don't work if wet though, which might limit their use ice climbing.
Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Joined Nov 29, 2007
516 points
Oct 19, 2015
Rock Climbing Photo: Euphorie M8
Yer Gonna Die! probably from 6th degree frost burns ! Theriault
From Quebec, Quebec
Joined Apr 13, 2011
321 points
Oct 19, 2015
Rock Climbing Photo: Bouldering
I have climbed in really cold weather by putting hand warmers at the wrist opening of a pair of fingerless gloves, and use the Velcro on the gloves to keep them in place. What happened was that my fingertips were totally numb from touching the rock, yet my palms were really warm to the point of sweating. It was a very weird feeling. aikibujin
From Castle Rock, CO
Joined Oct 14, 2014
263 points
Oct 19, 2015
Rock Climbing Photo: Euphorie M8
I just shove them on the top of my hands under my lead gloves, they dont move at all. Theriault
From Quebec, Quebec
Joined Apr 13, 2011
321 points
Oct 19, 2015
Yep, works like a charm. The heat dilates the blood vessels going to the hand. More blood flow = warmer hands. Have used it a lot (the Grabber Velcro ones) on cold rock. Ernest W
From Camarillo, CA
Joined Aug 20, 2009
1 points
Oct 19, 2015
Marc801 wrote:

I was just googling around and couldn't find the pouches you mentioned, do you have a link to them? They sound handy.
Optimistic
From New Paltz
Joined Aug 29, 2007
328 points
Oct 20, 2015
Optimistic wrote:

Unfortunately no. They were given to me by a friend quite a few years ago.
Marc801
From Sandy, Utah
Joined Feb 25, 2014
64 points
Oct 20, 2015
For rock climbs I put a heating pad in my chalk bag... works like a warm chalk sock EeT
Joined Jan 18, 2015
0 points
Oct 20, 2015
Marc801 wrote:
Unfortunately no. They were given to me by a friend quite a few years ago.

Thanks... My wife is very handy with a needle and thread, probably she can help me cobble something up.
Optimistic
From New Paltz
Joined Aug 29, 2007
328 points
Oct 20, 2015
Rock Climbing Photo: wiped
what if you just cut the end off of a sock. put the sock (now a tube) over your wrist. lay the handwarmer on the sock and roll it up. seems like it would work. Jake wander
Joined Aug 11, 2014
168 points
Oct 20, 2015
Rock Climbing Photo: Devil's Kitchen
I was always told to place hand warmers on the top of your hands, because the blood flows to the fingers on top and returns to your heart on the bottom. Super Fluke
From Earth
Joined Mar 31, 2015
43 points
Nov 6, 2015
I can't wait for ski season. I used some reusable hand warmers, from wantitgotit here but you can probably get them cheaper on ebay mikemxc
Joined Nov 6, 2015
0 points
Nov 6, 2015
Rock Climbing Photo: El Potrero Chico
I'm a Navy Corpsman. Doing the figure 8 wrap around the wrist and palm of your hand should work great to hold a hand warmer to the frontal wrist! The brachial artery is near the skin, which would/should transport heat from the heated tissue around the blood vessel to the fingers. Seems like a great idea! Paul Hutton
From Boise, ID
Joined Mar 26, 2012
848 points
Nov 6, 2015
Paul Hutton wrote:

I hate to break it to you, but there is no brachial artery in the wrist. Also, I have no idea of what you mean by frontal wrist.
Georgehh
Joined Apr 2, 2015
0 points
Nov 6, 2015
Rock Climbing Photo: Aleks
Climbing friend,

Do you even flash?

Your seeking of the comfort is complete contraire to ice climbing sport on the climbing ice rocks. You must simply toughen yourself up and practice the dipping your arms in ice bucket longer and longer times, possibly while having your climbing girlfriend slap you about the head with a frozen fish, possible while also doing the meditation or watching star wars and thinking on the force.
Aleks Zebastian

From New Hampshire
Joined Dec 20, 2013
1,176 points
Nov 6, 2015
Rock Climbing Photo: Euphorie M8
Zac.St.Jules wrote:
Damn Marty, I knew you were a badass but do you really need to wear lead gloves. ;)

hahah Im french ;) so pulling the french card here !
Theriault
From Quebec, Quebec
Joined Apr 13, 2011
321 points
Nov 6, 2015
I generally just take a teaspoon of cement before heading out. Works a charm

But seriously, hand warmer in the gauntlet of the glove or on the wrist is a winner. My gf made me wrist warmers, which are a sock with a thumb hole.
Beean
From Canmore, AB
Joined Feb 1, 2014
1 points
Nov 6, 2015
Rock Climbing Photo: El Potrero Chico
Georgehh wrote:

Google "frontal wrist". You'll get results.
Paul Hutton
From Boise, ID
Joined Mar 26, 2012
848 points
Nov 6, 2015
Rock Climbing Photo: The traverse out to the Yellow Ridge on the Dogsti...
The current version of the old grabber wrist thingy is the Heat Cuff heatcuffs.com/all-products/bon.... It's an elastic wrist band with a pocket for the heat pack and a reflective lining that (the product claims say) reflects most of the heat to the wrist arteries.

Added: Oopsie---if the linked site isn't totally dead, they definitely don't sell heat cuffs any more.

I've carried heat packs in my chalkbag for years. I tried taping heat packs to my wrists, but didn't feel as if I was getting much benefit, and of course it interfered with hand-jamming. But I know other climbers who swear by wrist heat packs, so YMMV.
rgold
From Poughkeepsie, NY
Joined Feb 15, 2008
544 points
Nov 6, 2015
Paul Hutton wrote:
Eh, radial artery. Close enough. The palm side of the wrist is part of the frontal anatomy. You may know it better as the anterior wrist. Dorsal wrist would be the backhand side, which some will call posterior wrist. The way I prefer to look at anatomy--frontal and dorsal concerns superficial aspects, anterior and posterior concerns interior aspects. I think this eliminates confusion, most of the time, when communication occurs between care-givers in the medical field. A lot of people like to use anterior and posterior, no matter what, which irks me when we're talking about an objective detail. Google "frontal wrist". You'll get results.

You mean dorsal and ventral, not dorsal and frontal

Second, its palmar (or volar) and dorsal when discussing the wrist.

Also, it is not an "objective detail". Everything is related to anatomic position, therefore, while anterior posterior may not be commonly used for the hand, it is still always understood.
Georgehh
Joined Apr 2, 2015
0 points
Mar 2, 2016
Hey Guys,
Bobo
Joined Mar 2, 2016
0 points
Mar 2, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: found some cool toothpicks
Bobo wrote:
Hey Guys, I stumbled on to your site and got intrigued by the conversation. I'm actually starting a company that will provide just what your describing. It's a wrist wrap with a pocket for a hand warmer that keeps it against your wrist. Look for HOT BLOOD HAND WARMERS (patent pend) in the next few months. The prototypes work great! I'm not a climber but I work outside in temps below zero, and the HOT BLOOD HAND WARMERS allow me to wear thinner gloves or no gloves at all. I'll post a link when the web site is up and running.

Awesome! I'm excited to see what you guys can make!
Luke Koppa
From Fort Collins, CO
Joined Feb 18, 2014
96 points
Mar 2, 2016
Bobo,

Would be surprised if you idea was patentable. I had a pai or "wrist warmers" that took a hand warmer twenty plus years ago. Not sure of who actually made them but I did buy them.

Mark