Route Guide    Journal    What's New    Partners    Forum
Sign Up  |   Log In:Login with Facebook
REI Community
Drone at the Gunks Sunday Feb 28th
Page 1 of 6.  1  2  3  4  5   Next>   Last>>

Feb 29, 2016
Any one know who was flying a drone around at the Gunks sunday morning around 9am ... I think they got footage of me leading up Hight E for my first time and I would love to see it !!!! J.R. Berry
From SCL utahl
Joined Mar 23, 2015
0 points
J.R. Berry wrote:

Assuming they were permitted, you could try to find contact info from the preserve (e-mail address below). If not, and for any others thinking of bringing a drone, note the preserve's policy

Mohonk Preserve Policy on the Use of Unmanned Aerial Systems/Drones

Mohonk Preserve prohibits the use of unmanned aerial systems (otherwise known as unmanned aerial vehicles, drones, radio-controlled model airplanes and/ or any other equipment of this type) on or above its property unless it is approved through our permit application process. This policy supports our commitment to the protection of wildlife (specifically in this context, birds of all species), the safety and well-being of our visitors, as well as their personal experiences in nature. This prohibition includes, but is not limited to, any and all use of drones for purposes such as aerial photography, videography and entertainment/recreational use.

Mohonk Preserve will accept applications for the operation of unmanned aerial systems for purposes such as scientific research, mapping, authorized photo/film shoots, or other Preserve-related projects only. Applications will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. If approved, Mohonk Preserve will issue a limited permit for the use of unmanned aerial systems for the specific project and time period for which the application was submitted.

Click here to view and print the application.

The completed form shall be returned to: Jon Ross, Associate Director of Visitor Services, at jross@mohonkpreserve.org.
MojoMonkey
Joined Jan 29, 2009
53 points
Feb 29, 2016
was not psyched about it doing flybys while I led modern times. Rob D.
From Brooklyn, NY
Joined May 18, 2011
30 points
Feb 29, 2016
the rumor on facebook is that it crashed into some trees :P brettbergeron
From Brooklyn, NY
Joined Jan 25, 2015
75 points
Feb 29, 2016
Last season it was a trail leaf blower. This season we have drones to look forward to? Ah, the great outdoors! wonderwoman
Joined Dec 14, 2006
64 points
Feb 29, 2016
Hey, does anyone have one of these things? Pnelson
Joined Jan 1, 2015
40 points
Pnelson wrote:
Hey, does anyone have one of these things?

Nope, but I'm pretty sure a Peregrine's impact at 200MPH will do the same to the drone as it does to its usual prey. ;-)
Kevin Heckeler
From Upstate New York
Joined Jul 10, 2010
1,361 points
Feb 29, 2016
Can we train the falcons to go after the pilots? coldatom
From Cambridge, MA
Joined Sep 20, 2011
0 points
Feb 29, 2016
Unless NY has more restrictive regulations (was too lazy to google), I believe it remains an open question at which height a drone may fly above private property without trespassing.

IIRC the Feds own 500 feet and up, and at least one court has ruled the private property owners own the first ~80 feet of air. That case may have no relevance in NY tho.

Depending on the height, the drone may have been legal assuming the operator was standing outside the preserve. Perhaps someone with more free time at the moment can find a NY case or reg.
Eric G.
From Saratoga Springs, NY
Joined Apr 18, 2012
25 points
Drones < 400 feet

faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/
Allen Sanderson
From Oootah
Joined Jul 6, 2007
1,115 points
Feb 29, 2016
Those are guidelines that you are "strongly encouraged" to follow, FAA regs start at 500 ft. IIRC. Eric G.
From Saratoga Springs, NY
Joined Apr 18, 2012
25 points
Feb 29, 2016
Can you hear the drone over the leaf blowers on the carriage road and the traffic on 55/44? Between the motorcycles and jake brakes of trucks I don't think you'd hear a drone unless it was on you...or are those the black flies? RockinOut
From NY, NY
Joined May 8, 2010
0 points
Feb 29, 2016
Or the terrified screams of "ROCK!"

Because who doesn't expect tranquility when they visit the gunks.
Eric G.
From Saratoga Springs, NY
Joined Apr 18, 2012
25 points
john2.71 wrote:
Without drone photos, how will anyone find the start of High E??

Jake D.
From Northeast
Joined Nov 23, 2006
355 points
Feb 29, 2016
Speaking of drones, did anyone catch that plane that buzzed the cliff yesterday? grubbers
Joined Mar 11, 2009
0 points
Feb 29, 2016
yeah, totally killed my buzz when I was leading modern times.

I can only send at the gunks in pure silence and communion with nature.
Eric G.
From Saratoga Springs, NY
Joined Apr 18, 2012
25 points
Bill Healey IV wrote:
Yep, that was me with the drone. And yes, I did hit a tree. Drone is fine though, just go super windy later on in the afternoon. I do agree with a lot of posters on here, the drone noise does really kill the vibe of climbing. I'm sorry if I ruined your climb! But I only ran it for ~20 minutes. And I got some great footage of you on High E! Shoot me a PM and I can get you the footage over the next couple of days.

So did you obtain permission from the Preserve?
Eric Engberg
Joined Apr 28, 2009
0 points
Feb 29, 2016
So dumb question. what is the risk of these things crashing and chopping a rope? I've never climbed near one, but are they getting close enough to you that that is a risk...? I did actually google this but didn't find much discussion, which suggests nothing like that has happened... yet.

I did find this, though, which was pretty funny:
JRM89
From New Haven, CT
Joined Feb 17, 2015
315 points
Mar 1, 2016
I don't think the blades on these smaller models can cut a climbing rope. Drones are VERY light and it takes all 4 blades to keep them in the air. The blades IIRC (friend owns one) are made of light plastic. Kevin Heckeler
From Upstate New York
Joined Jul 10, 2010
1,361 points
Mar 1, 2016
coldatom wrote:
Can we train the falcons to go after the pilots?

They already do if you get too close to the nest.
Kevin Heckeler
From Upstate New York
Joined Jul 10, 2010
1,361 points
Mar 1, 2016
check out this link. police trained raptors to take out drones. sheindl
Joined Jun 8, 2014
10 points
Mar 1, 2016
JRM89 wrote:

There's surprisingly little power in the rotors. Professional quality drones weight less than 2.5 pounds, so it doesn't take much to keep them in the air. You can stop the rotors just by putting your fingers in them. It might hurt a little (about the equivalent of flicking it with a rubber band), but wouldn't even break skin. There's virtually no chance it would be able to cut a rope. Plus most of the higher quality drones have LiDAR or some equivalent to actively avoid collisions. Honestly, the operator is probably too deathly afraid of losing his $800 investment to risk flying it close to anything solid anyways.

That said, the downwash of air underneath one of these things can be brutal/annoying, plus I'm personally not a huge fan of people taking my photo without my permission.
Lex Bally
From Decatur, GA
Joined Apr 16, 2015
125 points
Mar 1, 2016
grubbers wrote:

that was nuts! that guy blew by right after we rappelled!
J.R. Berry
From SCL utahl
Joined Mar 23, 2015
0 points
Mar 1, 2016
We were at Cathedral Ledge during Ice Fest this year. A Drone flew around but we thought it was pretty cool. A bunch of my family hiked to the top via the auto road. On their way down they met the pilot, Doug Millen. He was friendly and everyone was stoked to see the Drone land and check it out up close.

Next time a drone buzzes by you it might piloted by Doug.
Bill Kirby
From Baltimore Maryland
Joined Jul 21, 2012
40 points
Mar 1, 2016
Really not pumped about this thing whizzing behind us on never never land. Not only was it loud, but it got wayy to close for comfort. Not chill. TimVT
From South Burlington
Joined Jul 9, 2015
13 points
Mar 4, 2016
I know that it's easy to joke about how this isn't as bad as the loud carriage road or the hair-pin screeching, but it really is much much worse. It was very close to us when we were climbing, and is incredibly loud/distracting compared to the noises that are basically off in the distance (if you're as far down as high e).
I know we can say we don't "go to the gunks to escape noise and crowds" but part of the great part about being on the wall, especially on upper pitches, is that it's very easy to get in your own quiet space and have the feeling that you are alone, if not for a few minutes. These things buzzing around kills that and I'm glad the preserve (and new york state) are trying to lay down very clear rules.
Rob D.