REI Community
The Double Clutching Wall
Routes Sorted
L to R R to L Alpha
11:11 (AKA "Welcome to the Waterfall") T 
Block Party T 
Checkin' the Oil T 
Checkin' The Oil Direct T 
Chronic, The T 
Comin In Hot T,S 
Crux Deluxe T 
Double Clutching T 
Double Helix T 
In a Blunt T 
Kool Whip Crackle Fizz, The T 
Rude Awakening T 
Super Chronic T 
SwitchBlade T 
Terminal Mocha T 
Thin Faith T 
Wolverine T 

Double Helix 

YDS: 5.11+ French: 7a Ewbanks: 24 UIAA: VIII ZA: 24 British: E4 6a

Type:  Trad, 1 pitch, 115'
Original:  YDS: 5.11+ French: 7a Ewbanks: 24 UIAA: VIII ZA: 24 British: E4 6a [details]
FA: JJ Schlick, Wade Forrest, James Q Martin 2010
New Route: Yes
Season: Late fall, mild winters, spring
Page Views: 1,924
Submitted By: JJ Schlick on Nov 15, 2010

You & This Route  |  Other Opinions (22)
Your todo list:
Your stars:
Your rating: -none- [change]
Your ticklist: [add new tick]
Your opinion of this PAGE:    [0 people like this page.]
Fists and crisp edges! JJ working on Double Helix...


Double Helix has gone from a vision, through the works, and come out the other side as a most endearing Waterfall pitch. Aside from the rack, you had better bring your game.

Start out in an obvious tight, vertical stem box, a little bit right of the route 11:11. Be clever with your gear, fingers and toes because she comes out fighting right off the deck. Move up to the first bolt. How can it be hard with such big holds? There are many ways to do it, but thinking outside the box is going to get you moving again past the first stemming crux (layback the jugs on your left, hidden pocket out right).

Pass a couple of bolts through a very fun and thoughtful low angle section of stone to access the stem box on your left. Go 12' or so before your next piece(s) of gear (.05 BD and solid wires too). Start moving into tech mode with thin wires, and behind your back stemming through an awesome stretch of finger buckets and perfect finger pods, which will guide you through the middle stem box.

Take a rest, and eye your gear well because the helix is about to twist once again! When you're ready, launch into the steep laybacking section, which leads to the entrance of the off fist crack. Which eventually tightens down to perfect steep hands, and keeps tightening down to fingers at the apex of the bulge! Look for clever, and obvious steep stemming, pocket jugs, and finger buckets! It's not over until it's over!! Another full on beautiful line!

This line was quite easily the dirtiest route Wade and I ever cleaned at the Waterfall. The entire upper crack, from the wide section up was filled with a very fine textured, and ancient sand which had a stubborn bite. Armed with specially machined tools, and swimmers goggles, we set out to free both the choking sand, and the beautiful, deep crack. An effort well rewarded.


Doubles from #00 TCUs to .5 BD- (save at least one #3 TCU for the top!) they are light and you may want them. Singles from .75 BD to 3.5 BD. Small/medium wires!

Photos of Double Helix Slideshow Add Photo
Rock Climbing Photo: JJ in the geourgous upper section, 2010.
JJ in the geourgous upper section, 2010.
Rock Climbing Photo: Loving all the angles!  Wade Forrest photo
Loving all the angles! Wade Forrest photo
Rock Climbing Photo: James Q Martin enjoying the wide open ride down, a...
James Q Martin enjoying the wide open ride down, a...
Rock Climbing Photo: Moving into the middle helix...  Wade Forrest phot...
Moving into the middle helix... Wade Forrest phot...

Comments on Double Helix Add Comment
Show which comments
By JJ Schlick
From: Flagstaff, AZ
Dec 12, 2010

Also, a special props to Josh Cross for making it happen on a "flash" second ascent!! He had 15% of the info, and the other 85% was all Josh! Sports action! I love it!

It is kind of... one of those lines where.... just a little bit of beta goes a long way as far as enjoyment goes. Did I mention that it is a long pitch...;)
By Matt S
Dec 18, 2010

RIGHT ON JJ. nice work on the send and all the work you put into this thing. i wish i could have seen it go down.
By Lisa Montgomery
From: Golden, CO
Apr 1, 2014

Totally killer route! Quality rock and movement bottom to top. I used a #4 C4 up higher, and think that either the old 3.5 or 4 BD Camalot would work just fine.

Mountain Project

The Definitive Climbing Resource

MTB Project

Next Generation MTB Trail Maps

Powder Project

Backcountry Ski Maps & Secret Stashes
FREE Stickers · Gyms · RSS · School of Rock · Contact · About