REI Community
search
Advanced
Climbing words in different languages?

Oct 27, 2015
Hey guys I was curious what common climbing words like belay and take were in other languages? I was particularly interested to what they were in Mandarin but any other language is more than welcome thebmags
Joined Jun 5, 2013
105 points
French:

Take = "À sec"or "prends-moi"
Belay = Assurer
Secured, Off-belay = "Vaché" or "auto-assuré"
Rappel = "Rappel"
Lead = "grimper en tête" or "premier de cordée"
Top-rope = "Moulinette"

I could go on..
Dom
From New Brunswick Canada
Joined Dec 8, 2007
1,075 points
Oct 27, 2015
This could be handy especially when the party above you yells rock in a different language. So you look up instinctively only to see a rock zooming at your head. I jumped out of the way but just barely. Kirtis
From Golden CO
Joined Mar 27, 2011
309 points
Oct 27, 2015
Buddy bouldered with some Japanese climbers in Yosemite and relayed this tid-bit...

A Japanese boulderer will say "Gumba, Gumba" to another climber, which sort of translates to "C'mon, C'mon!" Ya know, to support the send.
dylan grabowski

Shut up and climb!
Jeremy in Inyokern
From Inyokern
Joined Jul 10, 2012
3 points
Oct 27, 2015
Link I found a while ago for an Italian paper on rock climbing I wrote...

gdargaud.net/Climbing/Lex_En.h...
Daniel Kaye
From Boston, ma
Joined Nov 9, 2014
190 points
Oct 27, 2015
Take: "shou1 jin3" or "shou1 sheng2"
Slack: "ge3 sheng2"
Belay: "bao3 hu4"
Belayer: "bao3 hu4 zhe3"
Belay device: "bao3 hu4 qi4"
Rock climbing: "pan1 yan2"
Climber: "pan1 yan2 zhe3"
Rappel: "sheng2 jiang4"
Off-belay: "an1 quan2"
Toprope: "ding3 sheng2"
Lead, leading: "xian1 feng1"
Carabiner: "tie3 suo3"
Rope: "sheng2 (zi)"
Harness: "an1 quan2 dai4"
Quickdraw: "kuai4 gua4"
Camming device: "ji1 xie4 sai1"
Nuts: "yan2 sai1"
Helmet: "tou2 kui1"
Sport: "yun4 dong4"
Trad: "chuan2 tong3"
Bouldering: "bao4 shi2"
Figure 8 knot: "ba1 zi4 jie2"
Prussik: "zhua1 jie2"

aikibujin
From Castle Rock, CO
Joined Oct 14, 2014
125 points
Dom wrote:
French: Take = "À sec"or "prends-moi" Belay = Assurer Secured, Off-belay = "Vaché" or "auto-assuré" Rappel = "Rappel" Lead = "grimper en tête" or "premier de cordée" Top-rope = "Moulinette" I could go on..

Don't forget 'Allez!" = go! go!
TSluiter
From Holland, VT
Joined May 18, 2013
270 points
aikibujin wrote:
Take: "shou jin" or "shou sheng" Slack: "ge sheng" Belay: "bao hu" Belayer: "bao hu zhe" Belay device: "bao hu qi" Rock climbing: "pan yan" Climber: "pan yan zhe" Rappel: "sheng jiang" Off-belay: "an quan" Toprope: "ding sheng" Lead, leading: "xian feng" Carabiner: "tie suo" Rope: "sheng (zi)" Harness: "an quan dai" Quickdraw: "kuai gua" Camming device: "ji xie sai" Nuts: "yan sai" Helmet: "tou kui" Sport: "yun dong" Trad: "chuan tong" Bouldering: "bao shi" Figure 8 knot: "ba zi jie" Prussik: "zhua jie" Of course this is just how everything is spelled in the Chinese Pinyin system. No one will actually understand you if you try to pronounce any of these.

Thanks! Do you happen to know a good source with tones as well ?
thebmags
Joined Jun 5, 2013
105 points
dylan grabowski wrote:
A Japanese boulderer will say "Gumba, Gumba" to another climber

"Ganba" is the word you're looking for, short for "ganbatte" :)

Japanese climbers often use a lot of English words (especially climbing with foreigners), just with good accents to make them sound Japanese.

I've heard "tension" and "take" both used. "Slack" too, though it sounds more like "surakku"
Matt Enlow
From Wyoming
Joined Jan 29, 2013
427 points
TSluiter wrote:
Don't forget 'Allez!" = go! go!

I just clicked to post how that very thing was the dumbest looking thing around a few years (OK, maybe more like a decade) back, when scores of English speakers would start shouting it, (mispronounced, of course) at people climbing near them.

OK, in order to offset the griping above, I'll attempt to contribute something:
If climbing in Malaysia/Indonesia, you are going to 'Panjat Batu' (Climb Rock).
Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Joined Jan 1, 2001
21,695 points
thebmags wrote:
Thanks! Do you happen to know a good source with tones as well ?

Yeah I know a good source... me! I edited my original post, I assumed you'd understand it since you asked.
aikibujin
From Castle Rock, CO
Joined Oct 14, 2014
125 points
Matt E wrote:
I've heard "tension" and "take" both used.

Interesting, I don't think I ever heard "teeku".

AaronJ
From Japan
Joined Dec 29, 2013
173 points
Hebrew:

• Rope = Chevel (The "ch" is a hard guttural H, like you're clearing your throat. Similar to "Loch" in a true scottish brogue)
  • Quickdraw = Runner (Plural = Runnerim)
  • Harness = Ritma (reet-MAH)
  • Rappeling = sneppeling
  • (I'm) climbing = metapes (meh-ta-PESS)
  • (I'm) safe = batuach (ba-TU-ach)
  • Belayer = meavteach (me-av-TAY-ach)
  • Falling = Fuck!
Jon H
From Boulder
Joined Nov 24, 2009
13 points
Oct 28, 2015
TSluiter wrote:
Don't forget 'Allez!" = go! go!

Yep. Probably the most commonly used French word in the world of climbing.

You'd think "Gaston" would be used in French - and it is in Canadian French - but it's not used in France. Instead they use "Épaule" which litteraly means "shoulder". Weird given that the name is derived from the famous French guide Gaston Rébuffat..
Dom
From New Brunswick Canada
Joined Dec 8, 2007
1,075 points
Oct 28, 2015
aikibujin wrote:

Thanks thats exactly what I was looking for!
thebmags
Joined Jun 5, 2013
105 points
Oct 28, 2015
in french
take a whipper: "voler" or "s'en mettre une" (very popular).

Take care when using "prends moi" and particularly when using "prends moi sec"

It can be misunderstood outside our climber planet
pierref
Joined Jun 5, 2015
0 points
Oct 28, 2015
prends moi sec = take me dry!

ha!
TSluiter
From Holland, VT
Joined May 18, 2013
270 points
Oct 28, 2015
Korean

Ambyuk deum ban. Rock climbing.
Take. Tension.
Bbal. Foot
Son. Hand
Eoreun right
Woin left.

And alot of stuff that sounds something like english.
trentbrown
From Seoul, Korea
Joined May 23, 2015
25 points
Oct 28, 2015
pierref wrote:
Take care when using "prends moi" and particularly when using "prends moi sec" It can be misunderstood outside our climber planet

Hahaha yup but the same can be said for many climbing expressions, e.g. :

Ha!
Dom
From New Brunswick Canada
Joined Dec 8, 2007
1,075 points
Oct 28, 2015
AaronJ wrote:
Interesting, I don't think I ever heard "teeku". Looking through aikibujin's list of commands and thinking of the Japanese, almost all of those simply use transliterations of the English. Notable exceptions: they do say quickdraw, but they also call them "nunchaku" (i.e. nun-chucks). They have a word for trad (transliterated English), but I have rarely heard or seen a corresponding word for sport. Words for different kinds of holds (crimp, jug) are all Japanese in my experience, and usually mimetic. Once you get into mountaineering, many of the loanwords shift from English to French and German - eisen, pickel, etc.

"Tenshon" is much more common, in my experience, but I have heard "te-ku".I also hear "fo-ru" (fall) when a climber is about to fall.
Trad and sport don't seem to be strongly separated here, they just say that a given route needs gear or doesn't.
Tony Monbetsu
From Minneapolis, MN
Joined Jan 14, 2014
535 points
Oct 29, 2015
Dom wrote:
Hahaha yup but the same can be said for many climbing expressions, e.g. : "I was jamming the crack until I reached deep enough to hit the juicy pocket"... Ha!

Great! An other (attractive ) reason to do my yearly US climbing trip
pierref
Joined Jun 5, 2015
0 points
Oct 29, 2015
to belay = sichern
the belay (as in belay on top of P1) = standplatz
take = zu / block
off belay = stand
belay is off (command to tell the leader to take up the rope/slack on miltipitch) = seil ein
that's me = seil aus