Route Guide    Partners    Forum    Photos    What's New    Journal
Sign Up  |   Log In:Login with Facebook
REI Community
C4 6 vs Big Bros

Feb 4, 2016
I'm wondering getting a big piece to add to my rack.

I don't have a #6 yet but the Big bro of the same range is cheaper.

Is it just a novelty of worth considering?
Colin Garceau
From Montreal, Quebec
Joined Feb 19, 2013
10 points
Feb 4, 2016
Can't walk a big bro Nathanael
From Riverside, CA
Joined May 27, 2011
258 points
Feb 4, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Moss
Nathanael wrote:
Can't walk a big bro

Jason Todd
From Cody, WY
Joined Apr 21, 2012
713 points
Feb 4, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Photo by Damien
I have a green bro and a #6. I think the green bro goes bigger than the #6 but still covers some of the range of the #6. For single pitch I almost always take the #6 over the bro. I really only bring the bro if I'm already racking my #6s and want more big pieces, or if it is a really long route or approach and I don't want to carry the #6, especially if it only has use in one spot.

I feel a lot safer with the #6 beneath me, but I haven't used the bro a ton or ever fallen on one, so there's that.

And yes, everyone loves a big cam top rope.
Shelton Hatfield
Joined Apr 18, 2011
585 points
Feb 4, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: the starting layback on the first ascent.
It is really hard to place a bro correctly, and you will need 2 hands, so like above said, it usually is used with big cams, move cam with you, leave bro where you have a good stance to place it, repeat.
Some cracks just won't accept a bro, can't be too flaring or knobby, they like a nice clean parallel sided crack. But I have to say I have used the green and blue bro allot more then the #6 cam, usually with a #4 and #5 cam leapfrogging, and leaving the bro's along the way.
geoff georges
From Seattle, Wa.
Joined Feb 8, 2010
3,943 points
Feb 4, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Turnkorner
I have both and climb a decent amount of offwidth. I definitely prefer the 6 and only use the big bros when they're necessary. Or as another poster has mentioned to leave behind as back-up pro while I bump that 6 higher and higher and higher and higher. Leading on top rope is pretty sweet :) Todd Ra
From Denver
Joined May 24, 2014
59 points
Feb 4, 2016
geoff georges wrote:

I've never needed 2 hands to place a Bro. Get out there and practice with it.
Gunkiemike
Joined Jul 29, 2009
2,658 points
Feb 4, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: I pity the fool
It only takes one climb that requires that you place a big bro with one hand, or else, and congratulations, you just figured out that you can place them one handed no problemo.

(my apologies to the grammar Nazis)
Ray Lovestead
From Boulder, CO
Joined Jan 9, 2008
142 points
Feb 5, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Rogue
Correct me if I'm wrong guys:

- doesnt a Big Bro take a force in nearly any direction when placed well?
- you can't walk them, but you can use them to fend off pesky bears
dahigdon
From phoenix, Az
Joined Jan 5, 2015
199 points
Feb 5, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Photo by Damien
dave higdon wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong guys: - doesnt a Big Bro take a force in nearly any direction when placed well? - would the comperable big bro also cover a wider size range? potentially making it more versatile? - you can't walk them, but you can use them to fend off pesky bears

-I find them to be pretty easy to dislodge, but maybe I haven't figured out how to place them well.
-Yes, I believe a comparable bro has a greater range than the cam, but I'd say "more versatile" is still really debatable.
-Truth. A large bro is probably the finest weapon on your rack.
Shelton Hatfield
Joined Apr 18, 2011
585 points
Feb 5, 2016
dave higdon wrote:
- doesnt a Big Bro take a force in nearly any direction when placed well?

In my limited experience, I'd say "no". But, maybe mine aren't placed well by your standards.

I've had one pull out when the follower was hanging because a traverse caused a diagonal pull on the Bro.

Big Bros are lighter and take up less rack space than comparably-sized cams.
Kent Richards
Joined Jan 10, 2009
81 points
Feb 5, 2016
Colin Garceau wrote:
I'm wondering getting a big piece to add to my rack. I don't have a #6 yet but the Big bro of the same range is cheaper. Is it just a novelty of worth considering?

1. get the cam
2. don't get the BD, get a wild country friend 6. It is more stable.
David Coley
From UK
Joined Oct 26, 2013
70 points
Feb 5, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: I pity the fool
David -

Ray Lovestead
From Boulder, CO
Joined Jan 9, 2008
142 points
Feb 5, 2016
Ray Lovestead wrote:
David - I've used an older #6 Wild Country and it is about as stable as the stock market. Did they improve it?

For walking up or as a placement? IME the dual axle makes walking up more stable, but as a placement, the thinner/shorter axle and the less lobe to axle contact surface makes it much more wobbly compared to the WC.
reboot
From Westminster, CO
Joined Jul 17, 2006
163 points
Feb 6, 2016
Ray Lovestead wrote:

Not sure, the springs are very powerful, so possibly. And the axel is longer than a BD, so it looks more stable, but maybe this is just cosmetic?
David Coley