Route Guide    Partners    Forum    Photos    What's New    Journal
Sign Up  |   Log In:Login with Facebook
REI Community
Boulder, CO climber moving to East Coast
Page 1 of 9.  1  2  3  4  5   Next>   Last>>

Jan 3, 2017
Hey guys, I got offered a new position in my company (boulder based) to be a remote employee on the east coast. The only requirement is that I live near a major airport preferably between Baltimore and Boston.

I wanted to get some input on where you think the best place on the east coast is to move? I am moving from Boulder, so I understand that I won't find anywhere that has as much climbing as readily available. Seeing as I have never lived outside of an hour radius of Boulder, this would also be a major change for me. I also love trail running, so being near trails would be a major + for me.

I was thinking NYC maybe? Try and live near a park for trail running and hopefully get to the gunks on the weekend? Are there better east coast cities similar to Denver (20 minute drive to great climbing/trails) that I am not thinking about?

Any thoughts?
trice Rice
Joined Mar 9, 2014
0 points
Jan 3, 2017
My vote would be central Connecticut, good local climbing, 2 hours to the Gunks and a reasonable weekend trip to Adirondacks, Vermont and New Hampshire. There is a pretty active locale climbing group (ct climbers and mountaineers) that can get you up and running. On the down side if you want to do something different and want access to the coast Connecticut stinks they all go to Rhode Island. beensandbagged
From R.I.
Joined Oct 20, 2013
16 points
Jan 3, 2017
If your priories are the outdoors, then yes, central CT is a good location. You'll be closer to Rumney, Ragged Mt and all that New England has to offer ( Dack's , Greens, Whites etc.) while being just as close to the Gunk's.

Hartford is a fair place and will feel more "like" Boulder than NYC. Don't expect too much diversity or depth.
Ralph Swansen
From Denver CO
Joined Nov 24, 2012
353 points
Jan 3, 2017
I guess it depends on how near is "near" with regard to an airport. How frequently do you need to access the airport, and could you get away with being 1-2 hours from the airport in order to be closer to climbing/trails/etc? If so, then New Paltz could be an ideal spot for you. It is a great climbing town, with the Gunks in its backyard. Good trail running too. It would also just be a nice place to live, with a lot going on despite being a small/medium size town. Coming from Boulder, the general vibe of the town (outdoors/alternative) will feel pretty familiar to you. In terms of airport access, it is 1:20 from the Albany airport and a bit under 2 hours to NYC airports (depending on traffic and time of day).

Moving from Boulder to NYC would be brutal if access to climbing and the outdoors is important to you. There are a lot of better options.
JCM
From Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 9, 2008
5 points
Jan 3, 2017

The other regional airport is in Albany, about 75 minutes from New Paltz.
Gunkiemike
Joined Jul 29, 2009
1,675 points
Jan 3, 2017
Not just the city of New Paltz for the Gunks... my aunt/uncle/cousins live in Wappingers falls and when I went to the Gunks, I was like "wow they are 15 min away".

I haven't checked out the Rumney, Adirondacks area, but if I had a choice on where to live in Eastern Time zone I'd live either in North Carolina, there seems to be a ton of mountains there- or (more Midwest, although in Eastern time zone) triangulate my location between Seneca, NRG, RRG, and Tennessee climbing areas.

trice Rice wrote:
Seeing as I have never lived outside of an hour radius of Boulder

Wow, someone is coming out the bubble. But I'm guessing your parents live there?

New England can be a cool experience. It is more pastoral and hilly, Amish country is beautiful and you can get the best cheese, fudge, and woodwork. Spring and Fall are more defined- more light green growth and flowers in the spring, and more color change in the leaves. Rafting down the NRG, I thought a saw a brontosaurus in the fog. I pretended to be a miner walking down the 800 steps of the Kaymor mine (the problem came when I had to walk up again). I had fun at Harper's Ferry in the old timey town watching all the people hike the Appalachian trail.
Ana Tine
Joined Dec 7, 2012
68 points
Jan 3, 2017
If you can be an hour or two away from a major airport, asheville NC could be an option. All of Western NC has a similar amount of climbing as the boulder area so it would be the same quantity within a larger driving radius. You might also look at cities/towns close to RRG or NRG, or obviously some place like New Paltz near the gunks or a place in NH close to rumney, Cathedral Ledge, etc. eli poss
From Durango, Co
Joined May 9, 2014
494 points
Jan 3, 2017
If you can get away with New Paltz. Yes. It's rad and more like Boulder than any East coast town other than maybe North Conway. Ralph Swansen
From Denver CO
Joined Nov 24, 2012
353 points
Jan 3, 2017
Wow, CT wins so far, I even agree. BDL is 15 minutes away and trail running galore all around the traprock cliffs so you would even get to know where all the rock is. If the pay is the same where ever you move CT wins hands down for what you want. T Roper
From DC,VA,NM,UT,CT,MA
Joined Mar 31, 2006
730 points
Jan 3, 2017

I really don't know yet, but love the different opinions!
trice Rice
Joined Mar 9, 2014
0 points
trice Rice wrote:
wow. thank you to everyone who has replied! the insight is very much appreciated. I probably won't respond to every comment, but I will for sure read everything! I would ideally live within an hour or less of a major airport. I would be travelling up to 65% of my time to east coast cities (Boston, DC, philly, etc. I would also want to be able to travel internationally easily for my job (Europe, Qatar, China, etc. ) CT sounds pretty cool, are there major international airports there? I would get relocation and cost of living adjustment based on the city I choose. any city dwellers here? is living in a city fun enough to not live with immediate access to the outdoors? I love living within a 3 minute run from the trails/mountains, but could sacrifice it for a couple years if the city life is fun. I really don't know yet, but love the different opinions!

Honestly, you want greater Boston if you're doing that kind of travel (I also do that kind of travel). Airport is super convenient. Outdoors and climbing community is great, good food, etc. The negative is that there's about a 2-3 hour hole in all directions to get to good climbing (or much closer if you're into bouldering), but the climbing is pretty great. Trail running is available, but it's not gonna be as convenient or good as you're used to.
shoo
Joined Aug 9, 2010
0 points
Jan 3, 2017
Greater Boston - southern NH. I traveled international for 30 years. I'm an hour to Boston Logan for travel to Europe and Middle East. Flew Manchester to Detroit and then to Far East. Climbing wise - a couple hours gets you plenty of rock from Rumney to Cannon to N. Conway. Longer drives and you can do Gunks in a day. Ice basically the same thing. Oh, no state sales or income tax in NH! Mark NH
From 03053
Joined Feb 2, 2013
5 points
Jan 3, 2017
I agree with the general theme in this thread i.e. somewhere north of NYC/Boston, as far as you can stretch it with regard to your job. Hudson Valley or NH. Don't live in a big city on the East coast if you love outdoors.

If you can make 90min work that's New Paltz>>LaGuardia. This would be best IMO. It's a cool little town.
jdejace
From New England
Joined Sep 20, 2013
12 points
Jan 3, 2017
I lived in East Granby CT for a few years when I was back east. It had okay access to traprock, was 5 minutes from Bradley, and about 2 hours from the Gunks. There's good trail running along the metacomet trail. I used to visit that a few times a week. There's Diamond cliff nearby in Granby too for an afternoon hang. I know of some "secret" ice about 25 minutes away, hit me up for a contact. CT was okay overall, but I moved to CO as soon as I could. Winter is cold and dark. Summer is hot, muggy and buggy.

Don't expect anything bolted nearby (although i've heard of some recent development in certain places).

Other than my family the only thing I miss back east is the Gunks. The Gunks are amazing. I also spent a good amount of time in the Adirondacks, VT, and NH mountains, which are great for hiking and offer some backcountry adventure. The Catskills have some decent ice climbing too.

If you are coming from Boulder, I would move to New Paltz from a culture-shock standpoint. You would probably be dead-bored just about anywhere in central CT. The vibe in NP is much less stuffy than anywhere I've spent time in CT.

cheers.
-chris
percious
From Bear Creek, CO
Joined Nov 9, 2006
975 points
trice Rice wrote:

Manhattan (or nearby) is an amazing place to live and work. If you can afford it. Actually if you count bouldering and/or top-roping as "climbing", there is lots of it in close driving range (less than an hour) from New York City.

For climbing you'll need a car, so have to juggle cost and hassle of parking versus closeness to or neighborhood-status within the "island at the center of the world".

Keep in mind that both Sasha DiGiulian and Ashima Shirai managed to keep New York City as their base through multiple years of top-level climbing.

Since NYC has _three_ major airports (or is it four?), not just one, there are way more flights to choose to stay connected with Boulder (or to re-book to in case your flight gets cancelled). Also way more flights to Europe (and other international locations) than any other East coast city. Sharon and I used to routinely leave work a little early on Friday afternoon and be up at 10,000 feet on the glaciers around Chamonix Mont Blanc by Saturday lunchtime.
. . (If you want Amtrak trains or driving a car as an alternative way to get to business meetings, then it makes sense to live in the middle of the NorthEast metro coast corridor, not out by one end).

In addition to the social and cultural possibilities - (and making valuable business contacts face-to-face) - there's lots of trail-running opportunities in the many fine parks (the northwest tip of Manhattan has a remarkably "remote" feel - in view of a couple of miles of vertical cliffs) . . . Also good road-bicycling in close range riding across the GWB (hundreds of cyclists out on a nice weekend day). My view is that the road-biking within driving less than two hours to the Mid-Hudson valley or eastern Pennsylvania is easily superior to Colorado - (Why we decided not to move to Boulder).

The Gunks have wonderful long trail runs / scrambles, also scenic double-track mountain biking, and world-class groomed cross-country skiing (with more world-class XC skiing farther north easy driving up the I-87 corridor).

Once in a lifetime opportunity live and work in The City.

Ken
kenr
Joined Oct 29, 2010
7,038 points
Jan 3, 2017
Albany if you need to be near a decent sized airport. You're only an hour from the Gunks and the Adirondacks. MUCH cheaper living than NYC or Boston and faster escape to the woods. Minutes away from biking and skiing as well. Adrienne DiRosario
From Troy, NY
Joined Jan 31, 2016
0 points
Jan 3, 2017
Connecticut has good climbing primarily located in the central part of the state. It's also a short drive to the Gunks, New Hampshire, etc. My two cents would just don't live in Hartford itself. Leave in one of the towns around it. Central Rock in Glastonbury is a great gym but that's an expensive town to live in. Jake G
From Flagstaff
Joined Dec 27, 2014
21 points
Jan 3, 2017
Just say "no" to Baltimore/Maryland. Access to quality crags requires *at least* 3 hours of driving. BrianWS
Joined Apr 22, 2010
665 points
Jan 3, 2017
@OP, if you want some nice trad, CT is it... if not, Mass. has Farley for some sweet sport (no beta). Also, Rumney is a total win. CT does have some bouldering and a lot of trad, but the quality sport is pretty far and few. The Gunks are pretty sweet too, but again, not sport. Nothing to compare really though, so don't think that there will be that perfect place. If you end up in CT though, let me know!! Ross Ayer
From Southington, CT
Joined Apr 11, 2015
57 points
Gunkiemike wrote:
The "other NYC airport" is Stewart in Newburgh. It's 30 min from there to the Gunks (not that you'd live at the airport) just to give you a point of reference. The Hudson Valley has a lot to offer without being a big city. Ice climbing is an hour from Poughkeepsie (where I live), and New Paltz is a cool little town with an eclectic mix of eco-awareness, academic rigor, and throwback 60s hippie-ism. The other regional airport is in Albany, about 75 minutes from New Paltz.

I think the closet major airport to New Paltz would be Newark Liberty International, a 1.5 hour drive (84 miles). If you are willing to add that extra half-hour to the airport commute, I think New Paltz (or more probably a town south of New Paltz is your best bet, as the gunks put climbing and trail-running at your doorstep.
rgold
From Poughkeepsie, NY
Joined Feb 15, 2008
35 points
Jan 3, 2017
Wow, so much love for my home state of CT. It should be mentioned, however obvious, that no part of CT is going to have access like Boulder. CT is a very densely populated state with pockets of forests. CT has no National Forest, Wilderness, or National Park. It's also so close to NYC, that it doesn't have too much of an interesting youth culture of it own.

And the Whalers are gone man, they're *gone*.
Long Ranger
From Boulder, Colorado
Joined Jan 12, 2014
82 points
kenr wrote:

Pretty crazy isn't it! That 2 of the strongest female sport climbers started/lived in NYC during their peak (hard to word this since they are still peaking, and still living in NYC... one's been there her entire life b/c she's still a kid), a city not known for its outdoor activities.
Ana Tine
Joined Dec 7, 2012
68 points
kenr wrote:

Ana Tine wrote:
Pretty crazy isn't it!

Would be crazier if it was actually true...Sasha did everything BEFORE she started at Columbia (she was DC based thru her years of claim-to-fame) and hasn't accomplished anything close to her pre-Columbia days.

As for Ashima, being in NYC has everything to do with what her father did for a living. Maybe we can claim Fayetteville, NC to be a climbing hotbed because Kai Lightner grew up there (for perspective, NYC has ~40x the population of Fayetteville & ~80x the population of Boulder).
reboot
From Westminster, CO
Joined Jul 17, 2006
50 points
Jan 3, 2017
^^ never claimed it was a hotbed or the reason for their success as they both climb on bolts and the closest good areas to them requires gear (gunks for NY, seneca for DC). That is why I said Despite living in NYC they are still elite climbers, meaning it's not a place known for climbing, but yet they manage.

The point is, you can still have a climbing life & be strong living in a place such as NYC or DC if you want.

Ashima was born in NYC, started there, got good, got world famous, became the first female to climb 5.15.... all while living in NYC. And still lives there.
NYC has more people than Boulder, but I bet fewer parents put their kids in a harness at an early age hoping they'll be the next kid prodigy.

You say Sasha did most of her claim to fame stuff in DC, but DC isn't exactly known for climbing either.
And despite more people, like NYC, fewer people, youth and kids climb there than Boulder making the talent pool to draw from smaller.
Ana Tine
Joined Dec 7, 2012
68 points
Jan 4, 2017
Move to where the climbing is and commute to work, instead of vice-versa. Getting to airports is pretty easy from the gunks (try to get to laguardia or JFK living on Manhattan's upper west side - it'll nearly take as long).

Boston is 3.5 hrs, Philly under 2, NYC 1.5
Daks 3 +\- hrs for bigger mountains
White Mountains about 4 hrs for alpine and mountaineering
Sport climbing is on the horizon with Thatcher Park set to open - an hour or so from New Paltz
World-class trad/bouldering 10 minutes from home
Ice-climbing and skiing 1hr north in Catskills
Hundreds of miles of awesome terrain for trail running - single and double-track. Check out the 50k rock the ridge run.
These same trails with snow become destination XC-ski systems
Great climbing community and cool towns of New Paltz/Rosendale - good ethnic food kept cheap by the college.

IMO it's your best bet - you won't find this combo in CT MA or the like - maybe N Conway but especially with the winter weather it'd make air travel far more difficult.
chris_vultaggio
From The Gunks
Joined Dec 22, 2008
335 points
Jan 4, 2017
Some major pros to Boston - Ideally living just north of the city. Cheaper than being in the city itself and that way you're not driving through the city to access the NH climbing spots.

You won't have great climbing in a 20 minute drive - but you will be under two hours from Farley and other western mass crags, about 2 hours to Cannon and Rumney, 2.5ish to Whitehorse and Cathedral, and tons of other climbing/hiking areas in the Whites.

Some great gyms in the Boston area full of friendly like minded people.

Also great food and it smells better than New York.
DEF