REI Community
search
Advanced
Body Mods and climbing

Dec 22, 2016
Has a body mod you've done or had ever affected your climbing, or altered what you do for climbing, or been removed because you climb? i have stretched ears for example, had them up to 2 inch holes in my earlobes at one point, but i took them out at least partially after my first legit fall, sailed right past my crash pad rolled down a hill over some rocks. immediately afterwards took out my jewelry from my lobes because damn, i don't want my ears to get torn off! i had them so big and did things wrong enough to the point one ear is permanently at an inch still, and the other is more messed up and at 3/4 inch, but both can be either pinned down by a headband/earmuffs or under straps of my bd half dome. i also have a stretched septum that is also at risk for crushing my nose cartilage if gone wrong while falling but that's a functional piercing(stimulates nerves, helps me smell, long story). anybody else have or had similar issues/decisions to make? never really seen stretched ears on a climber, and usually they don't have many arm tattoos or stuff, so i don't know how common this could be Joseph Dul
From New Milford, CT
Joined Jul 15, 2016
15 points

Brent Apgar
From Out of the Loop
Joined Oct 20, 2007
35 points
Brent Apgar wrote:
Probably depends on where you live. I lived in the NW for several years and there are certainly a lot of climbers w/ body mods. For the most part it comes down to what you're saying... a little common sense to prevent something catastrophic happening. I guess in my mind the decision piece is whether or not the mod is worth the extra effort? At one point I had my hair down to my ass. A real part of my deciding to chop it was the convenience/safety aspect I realized after I started climbing.

But you could have used it for a backup attachment to the anchor!
ViperScale
Joined Dec 22, 2013
165 points
Dec 22, 2016

For those not familiar with an insulin pump:
Rock Climbing Photo: Insulin Pump
Insulin Pump

Using the pump has affected my climbing in several ways:

Chad Miller
From Grand Junction, CO
Joined Nov 8, 2006
0 points
Chad Miller wrote:
While I don't have a typical body mod I do have an insulin pump that I've been wearing for ten years. For those not familiar with an insulin pump: The pump holds insulin and electronics and is connected to an infusion set by plastic tube (catheter). The circular infusion set is inserted into my body in either the abdomen, leg, or butt. Using the pump has affected my climbing in several ways: Offwidths and squeeze chimneys are pretty much out as it can crush my pump and tear out the infusion set. Then again I don't think I'm missing much with offwidths and squeeze chimneys. All my climbing pants and shorts need front pockets to hold the pump. I've cut small holes in the pockets to run the catheter inside from my infusion set to my pump all while keeping it in my pants (insert joke here). I've found this keep gear from getting tangled in the catheter. I get asked all the time why in the hell I'm wearing a beeper by older folks, and what type of cell phone that is by anyone under 25 years old. I have to dig around in the front of my pants from time to time but I assure you it's to move around the catheter and nothing more. Really. (insert another joke here) Personally I'd think that a belly button piercing would be more of a hassle than the insulin pump. Then again I don't have the abs for a belly ring.

Damn Chad, nice stomach!
Tylerpratt
From Litchfield, Connecticut
Joined Feb 25, 2016
0 points
Dec 22, 2016
I've found that being tattooed makes me crush harder.
Whenever I'm projecting the pink V2, I make sure to take my shirt off so that the tattoo crushathon can commence.
Also, make sure to only clip when the pro is between waist and neck heights. This should reduce the risk of clipping your septum or lobes.
simplyput
Joined Nov 30, 2013
0 points
Dec 22, 2016
I was hit on the back of my ankle from a tree fall when I was an arborist. I was probably a good 60 feet away when a log took a nasty bounce off a rock and rolled at me. Didn't see it fast enough jumped (thankfully as I could have been seriously maimed) but clipped the back of my left ankle. Chipped the bone and bulged a bit. I had the bone chip removed because it was annoying as hell. Felt like pins and needles whenever pressure was applied like a climbing shoe. Tylerpratt
From Litchfield, Connecticut
Joined Feb 25, 2016
0 points
Dec 22, 2016
I've been climbing for almost 40 years and have seen hair, clothes, and breast tissue get caught in rappel devices. Seen arms and hands pinned under ropes against rock once or twice when feet slipped off too. Seen fingers get mangled by rings once or twice too. Never any issues with ears though.

I'm an OEM kind of guy and I would never fault anyone for doing whatever they want to do to themselves, although I must admit I find the need for this conversation a bit amusing.

Here's my advice (paraphrased from the Boy Scouts climbing manual), remove all rings and subdue any long hair. Do not wear overly loose or baggy clothing.

In your case, Remove the gages from your ears and athletic tape the lobes down and climb on.

Keep your face away from the rock and the nose thing is a non-factor, otherwise remove it and use the same athletic tape to cover the holes and you are good.

PS I'm glad I didn't get that rope and 8 ring around my bicep Tattoo I was thinking about back in the day 'cause it would be around my elbow now......JB
John Barritt
From OKC
Joined Oct 13, 2016
862 points
Tylerpratt wrote:
Damn Chad, nice stomach!

Oh yeah, my tummy is more uh bulbous.
Chad Miller
From Grand Junction, CO
Joined Nov 8, 2006
0 points
Dec 22, 2016
I have a subcutaneous venous port installed just below my right clavicle -- Like the insulin pump, it's basically a body mod with function (long term chemo infusions and high pressure CT contrast delivery).

I have to avoid direct impact to the port and catheter, so I now stay away from grovelly, less than vertical routes with protruding holds (only a real concern in the gym, or maybe on hyper-knobby granite). Other routes to avoid are ones with lots of full-wingspan compression type movement -- again, needing to keep a decent working distance between the port and wall/holds. Very dynamic routes are probably OK, but I still want to avoid heavy shockloads on my right shoulder as to avoid damaging the port or dislodging the catheter. Other than that, I'm free and able to climb pretty much whatever I want -- it hasn't changed my climbing style or ability much at all.

I have noticed far less impediment when climbing outdoors. Squeeze chimneys and offwidths are probably off the menu, but those are very rare where I climb.
BrianWS
Joined Apr 22, 2010
675 points
Chad Miller wrote:

i can feel that, i didn't include my medical thing, had a chiari malformation in my brain taken care of surgically, now permanent hole in my skull, so theres that too
Joseph Dul
From New Milford, CT
Joined Jul 15, 2016
15 points
Chad Miller wrote:

I work for Medtronic and this was a really exciting development. Cheers!
Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Joined Feb 15, 2006
105 points
Dec 22, 2016
I was really hoping this would be about performance enhancing body mods... Lothian Buss
From Albany, NY
Joined Jul 15, 2014
0 points
Lothian Buss wrote:
I was really hoping this would be about performance enhancing body mods...

i mean it can include them sure
for instance my septum piercing helps me smell and side effect opens up my nasal passages and i can breathe much better keeping me calmer and more focussed. anybody else have anything that enhances? tattoos were mentioned earlier haha
Joseph Dul
From New Milford, CT
Joined Jul 15, 2016
15 points
Dec 22, 2016

Hey I work for Medtronic!
crakatoa
From Boulder,Co
Joined May 5, 2014
0 points
crakatoa wrote:
While I don't have a typical body mod I do have an insulin pump that I've been wearing for ten years. Hey I work for Medtronic!

haha louisville or boulder? I'm at the SI GBU.
Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Joined Feb 15, 2006
105 points
Dec 22, 2016
What about getting a "0 Kn" tattoo on the ear lobe hole as a reminder not to clip to it :) wisam
Joined Jan 18, 2012
0 points
wisam wrote:

That's a damn fine idea! Might just do that for both lobes
Joseph Dul
From New Milford, CT
Joined Jul 15, 2016
15 points
Scott McMahon wrote:
haha louisville or boulder? I'm at the SI GBU.

Boulder. AME group small world.. lol.. or big company.. or both
crakatoa
From Boulder,Co
Joined May 5, 2014
0 points
ViperScale wrote:
But you could have used it for a backup attachment to the anchor!

You sir, are a harder man than I.
Brent Apgar
From Out of the Loop
Joined Oct 20, 2007
35 points
Dec 22, 2016
Hah - I removed my nipple rings some time back - one of them involuntary and quite messily with a MTB handlebar, and the other more easily with a pair of pliers. Many piercings are incompatible with action sports... Alex Rogers
From Sydney, Australia