Route Guide    Partners    Forum    Photos    What's New    Journal        
Sign Up  |   Log In:Login with Facebook
REI Community
Blah Snortiva and $200 shoe pricings for rock
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
May 10, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Aleks
climbing friend,

are you smoking of the funny stuff?

why do you buy the $200 shoe and support ridiculous pricings, and not a $40 or $80 pair from the mad rock? Is holding the thought in your mind of the idea of an alleged slightly better shoe somehow enough to embolden your heart, unlimpen your weak arms, stiffen your neck meat, correct your dubious technique, overcome your crippling fear of safe lead falls of which you are definitely in denial about, reduce your fat beer gut, and allow you to send la dura dura?
Aleks Zebastian
From Boulder, CO
Joined Jul 3, 2014
162 points
May 10, 2016
Yes. And I don't smoke. FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Joined Nov 19, 2009
284 points
May 10, 2016
Climbing friend Aleks,

I suggest also looking at Cypher climbing shoes. I have been very pleased with their performance and the price is right also.
MTCowan
Joined Dec 7, 2015
3 points
May 10, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: avatar
I don't actually climb, I just spray about it on the interwebz. adrenalated
From Denver, CO
Joined Jun 2, 2006
378 points
May 10, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: This is a novel auto blocking belay device.  I thi...
Aren't La Sportiva's Italian? What kind of question is this? Rick Blair
From Denver
Joined Oct 16, 2007
376 points
May 10, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Me eating a cliff bar walking back from Frankenste...
I got TC Pros and Muira VS.. They don't reduce your fat beer gut. I bought them because of my gut. Stiff shoes help fatty mericans legs from getting tired. Bill Kirby
From Baltimore Maryland
Joined Jul 21, 2012
439 points
May 10, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Moss
Climbing fiend Aleks,

Shoes are pretty cheap in the big scheme of things.

My first pair of La Sportiva Megas were $145 in 1990, my parent's graduation gift for me. In today's dollars that is $271.98 for a pair of prancy footwear!

TC Pros today are $180, or $95.96 in 1990 dollars.

Shoes are cheaper now, we should all be happy!
Jason Todd
From Cody, WY
Joined Apr 21, 2012
712 points
May 10, 2016
$60 pontas Danny Herrera
From San Bruno, California
Joined Jul 26, 2015
193 points
May 10, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Bottom of the bottle
Climbing friend.... do you even use your feet?

My Italian shoes outlast the cheap, poorly made Asian junk, by about 5 times....and because I have arms like spaghetti, I need all of the help I can get.

and the stuff I smoke will make you funny. so yes.
Guy Keesee
From Moorpark, CA
Joined Mar 1, 2008
363 points
May 10, 2016
Or maybe the question is why would you skimp on literally the only piece of gear that actually impacts your climbing ability? Nathanael
From Riverside, CA
Joined May 27, 2011
256 points
May 10, 2016
Aleks Zebastian wrote:
why do you buy the $200 shoe and support ridiculous pricings, and not a $40 or $80 pair from the mad rock?


-More $ invested in R&D
-Better quality rubber
-Better quality uppers
-Roll of the dice on better quality glue
-Not asia/pacific labor

If you went out and learned a bit about shoe production and economics you'd realize why climbing shoes are priced the way they are.
NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Joined Oct 6, 2011
127 points
May 10, 2016
My TC Pros seem to start delaminating as soon as i take them out of the box. I have to glue them down with seam sealer. I do like how they climb though, just expect a little better quality for $180 PaulMudd
From Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 19, 2014
6 points
May 10, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Aleks
Nathanael wrote:
Or maybe the question is why would you skimp on literally the only piece of gear that actually impacts your climbing ability?


climbing friend,

get a good fit for your foot, and despite what our corporate overlords tell to us, you need not buy the most expensive climbing shoe money can buy based on belief it will help you climb on the climbing rocks better.

Follow your heart. that's what I do.
Aleks Zebastian
From Boulder, CO
Joined Jul 3, 2014
162 points
May 10, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Aleks
NorCalNomad wrote:
If you went out and learned a bit about shoe production and economics you'd realize why climbing shoes are priced the way they are.


climbing friend,

As to your wang slap attempt, I say I do not do the learning. I only do the glorious crushing and bold flash at elite gradings for rocks, regardless of how expensive my shoes, or how young the children that make them.
Aleks Zebastian
From Boulder, CO
Joined Jul 3, 2014
162 points
May 10, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: who did name you?
Because I have really, really strange feet. They're not quite flat, not quite arched. So I 'need' leather if I want a tight fit they will actually shape my foot correctly. And that's only after weeks of pain. Every synthetic shoe I've had just hurts waaaay too much and never forms to my foot.

Climb friend,

Enlighten me on how to get the climbing leather without a five finger discount or paying $200?
Eliot Augusto
From Boulder, CO
Joined Dec 29, 2013
79 points
May 10, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: in repose
Aleks: I too am like Eliot, I have very strange feet, and only the Italians seem to understand this. However, if Madrock started using xs grip2 rubber, I might consider switching over, since Madrock runs a close second in fit to LS. cassondra
Joined Nov 26, 2008
388 points
May 13, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Me in Tuolumne
Um... Duh... Because they look great in climbing pics
Rock Climbing Photo: Jason's shoes
Jason's shoes
Katiekorn
Joined Jan 2, 2013
35 points
May 13, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Killis Howard?
""regardless of how expensive my shoes, or how young the children that make them"

lmao!
Tim Lutz
Joined Aug 9, 2012
43 points
May 14, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Halfway up Meadow Mountain
Climbing friend,

With successful sending having a lot to do with one's confidence level on the wall, I would say most feel the highest confident with a more expensive shoe, right or wrong. While the fit is the most critical of factors to consider in a specific shoe, the brand those select are based off word of mouth and online reviews, thus solidifying their brainwashedness. The gracious mother of outdoor gear for yuppies, REI, also does not carry Mad Rock or any other "uncool" brand FYI
Hunter McPherson
From Denver, CO
Joined Jul 7, 2015
17 points
May 14, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Me
Eliot Augusto wrote:
Because I have really, really strange feet. They're not quite flat, not quite arched. So I 'need' leather if I want a tight fit they will actually shape my foot correctly. And that's only after weeks of pain. Every synthetic shoe I've had just hurts waaaay too much and never forms to my foot. Climb friend, Enlighten me on how to get the climbing leather without a five finger discount or paying $200?


Cypher... Lots of leather shoes. Vibram XS grip or XS edge rubber. Some of the models fit weird feet, lots of leather models to eventually fit weird feet. Pretty affordable.
JK-
From SLC
Joined Nov 3, 2012
21 points
May 14, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Smile for the camera.  Me topping out of Pice of C...
I go with the good fit for my wife amurican feet. Chad Miller
From Grand Junction, CO
Joined Nov 8, 2006
149 points
May 14, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Warming up
Aleks Zebastian wrote:
climbing friend, As to your wang slap attempt, I say I do not do the learning. I only do the glorious crushing and bold flash at elite gradings for rocks, regardless of how expensive my shoes, or how young the children that make them.


This needs to be printed on a decorative plate and proudly displayed.
J. Stark
From Iowa
Joined Oct 1, 2010
692 points
May 14, 2016
Bill Kirby wrote:
I got TC Pros and Muira VS.. They don't reduce your fat beer gut. I bought them because of my gut. Stiff shoes help fatty mericans legs from getting tired.

Truth.

I think I paid like $85 for my Miura VS on eBay... Know your size, and take advantage of those who don't!
Noah Yetter
From Lakewood, CO
Joined Jul 13, 2015
121 points
May 14, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Me eating a cliff bar walking back from Frankenste...
Noah Yetter wrote:
Truth. I think I paid like $85 for my Miura VS on eBay... Know your size, and take advantage of those who don't!



I got mine by buying 44.5 from gearcoop.com for $85 new, figuring out they're too big then trading them for 44s here on MP.

I got a pair of TC Pros for free by buying Patagonia jackets for someone here on MP.

Mountain Project rocks!
Bill Kirby
From Baltimore Maryland
Joined Jul 21, 2012
439 points
May 14, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: After a very very damp and cold evening climbing o...
Because brand loyalty, never had a issue with any of my la sportivas and the vice like grip around every part of my foot is nice, heel is decent even when it's poor (speedsters being an example) it means my shoes need more break in time but they all ways deliver, mad rock has little to no presence in the UK as well if i want cheap i can buy a pair of la sportiva pythons for £60. Also no other shoe on the market is as well engineered as the TC Pro, period.
EDIT: Also speedsters are the ultimate gym shoe, they last forever and don't go flat.
that guy named seb
Joined Oct 24, 2015
182 points
May 15, 2016
Rock Climbing Photo: Red Rock
Aleks Zebastian wrote:
climbing friend, get a good fit for your foot, and despite what our corporate overlords tell to us, you need not buy the most expensive climbing shoe money can buy based on belief it will help you climb on the climbing rocks better. Follow your heart. that's what I do.


climbing friend

Were you born with feet like mountain goats or do you use your tongue like a mountain goat? There must be some magic to your bold flashes!
ViperScale
Joined Dec 22, 2013
201 points


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>