Array (  => 105708955  => 105708968  => 112470565  => 112476287 )
|Photos:||Recent | Best | Popular|
|Location:||43.00131, -90.28405 View Map Incorrect?|
|Administrators:||Doug Hemken, James Schroeder, Chris treggE, Kristine Hoffman (sitewide)|
|Submitted By:||Jason Springer on Feb 3, 2017|
|Comments on Black Hawk Ridge Main Area||Add Comment|
|Show which comments —
Feb 6, 2017
Couple of notes on this area:
- The area itself is located south of Blackhawk Lake on Union Valley Road. There's a parking lot that should fit 5 or so cars and there are also two other parking lots down off of Stephens Road. Both of those lots are about a 5 minute walk from the area so if the first lot is full, just drive down to the others.
- There's a fire road that wraps around the area with gates on each side. Parking is at the southern gate and the easiest approach is from the northern gate. Might be best to park and hike back up the road a bit rather than bushwhack through a sea of thorns and pricker bushes.
- This is part of Blackhawk Lake Recreation Area so be sure to purchase a pass at the gate prior to climbing. While the land is DNR, the property is managed privately so your state parks pass won't gain you access.
- Jason and Burt reference a freestanding pillar on the main page and it's a unique enough feature to probably stay off of. It's really cool but it'd be terrible if it actually tipped over due to climbing(unlikely, but still). Plus, most of the pillar is choss anyways.
- Respect the private property that surrounds the area. Be polite. Don't make noise. Clean up after yourselves.
- While I was bushwhacking through prickers I got growled at by some unknown animal that was hiding under a boulder. It did not sound psyched that I was near it and I don't know what it was. Tread lightly.
- There's potential for maybe 15-20 problems here so it'd be a nice distraction from Dodge or Devil's Lake for a day or so.