Route Guide    Journal    What's New    Partners    Forum        
Sign Up  |   Log In:Login with Facebook
REI Community
Best Fitting Crampon for La Sportiva Cube?
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
Page 1 of 1.  
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
Nov 2, 2015
I have just picked up a brand spanking new pair of La Sportiva Cubes and am looking to find a solid fitting crampon. Has anyone found the perfect fit? I am hopping for a crampon that can perform on all sorts of terrain, steep mixed, ice and alpine. David Menzies
Joined Jan 15, 2011
5 points
Nov 2, 2015
Are they the trango cubes, the nepal cubes, or the stratos cubes? Zac.St.Jules
From New Hampshire
Joined Dec 20, 2013
1,008 points
Nov 2, 2015
They are the Nepal Cubes. David Menzies
Joined Jan 15, 2011
5 points
Nov 2, 2015
I personally seem to have trouble with the BD toe bails fitting my nepal cubes. I ended up putting a grivel toe bail on my BD stingers... Id suggest going with petzl or grivel though for that reason. Zac.St.Jules
From New Hampshire
Joined Dec 20, 2013
1,008 points
Nov 2, 2015
Lynx fit like a glove Enoch M.
From Bronx, NY
Joined Sep 5, 2013
5 points
Nov 2, 2015
Haven't had any trouble fitting the cyborgs. lukeweiss
From Pike, NH
Joined Mar 12, 2014
0 points
Nov 3, 2015
Zac.St.Jules wrote:
I personally seem to have trouble with the BD toe bails fitting my nepal cubes. I ended up putting a grivel toe bail on my BD stingers... Id suggest going with petzl or grivel though for that reason.


Offset the bails
Bill Kirby
From Baltimore Maryland
Joined Jul 21, 2012
40 points
Nov 3, 2015
I tried. Helped bit still wasnt sitting just right. Zac.St.Jules
From New Hampshire
Joined Dec 20, 2013
1,008 points
Nov 3, 2015
Did you buy any of your gear from a brick and mortar shop? I've gotten help from the guys at the Mountaineer. Sometimes a fresh set of eyes can get the fit needed. Bill Kirby
From Baltimore Maryland
Joined Jul 21, 2012
40 points
Nov 3, 2015
Please. Im an expert.


...you're right though.
Zac.St.Jules
From New Hampshire
Joined Dec 20, 2013
1,008 points
Jan 28, 2017
Reviving this thread. Any recommendations for a really well fitting toe bail for Nepal Cubes? (Especially if you're around a size 44). Mrkb3
Joined Mar 4, 2015
191 points
Jan 28, 2017
personally if it's not much off, I've used my axe hammer and beat it to shape, don't know how great it is for the crampon, but I've done it a bunch, and guided 2 seasons and have multiple personal seasons on the cyborgs. They fit to Baturas well after. Never fell off, or broke, still going strong. Ice4life
From US
Joined Nov 4, 2010
5 points
Jan 28, 2017
I you like the stingers/cyborgs BD has made a 3rd size toebail to remedy the sloppy toebail situation.,the narrow Brandonian
Joined Mar 22, 2015
0 points
Jan 28, 2017
I found the G12 to be a solid fit for mountaineering. Worked well for me. Cyborgs I thought were slightly loose and needed to be snug fit with the bar tighter than normal. Dave Deming
From Grand Junction CO
Joined Jul 15, 2009
5 points
Jan 29, 2017
Dave Deming wrote:
I found the G12 to be a solid fit for mountaineering. Worked well for me. Cyborgs I thought were slightly loose and needed to be snug fit with the bar tighter than normal.


My G12s have the automatic toe bail and it's way wider than the boot. I guess it wouldn't matter much for general mountaineering but I'm specifically interested in getting a bail that fits tightly for technical ice. Thanks!
Mrkb3
Joined Mar 4, 2015
191 points
Jan 29, 2017
Grivel now makes a narrow bail that you can special order. Fits phantom guides well with g14s. SThal
From Logan, UT
Joined Jun 3, 2006
45 points
Jan 29, 2017
I have a pair of lynx that fit really well. I have played around with a lot of different brands of crampons on my Nepal cubes and have found that most fit well if you work with them a bit. Mark Westfall 1
Joined May 10, 2015
0 points
Jan 29, 2017
After adjusting every part of a Cassin Bladerunner I'm thrilled with how well they fit. George W
Joined Sep 14, 2015
3 points
Jan 30, 2017
George W wrote:
After adjusting every part of a Cassin Bladerunner I'm thrilled with how well they fit.


Here's how my cubes fit on my bladerunners. I would describe it as good but not perfect, the most significant issue being the space between the bail and the boot front lug on the side, allowing some flex.

Does it matter? In the field I've seen climbers happily using a system of boots-crampons with much more significant fit issues relatively happily...




Rock Climbing Photo: Bladerunner-cube 44
Bladerunner-cube 44


Rock Climbing Photo: bladerunner-cube 44
bladerunner-cube 44


Rock Climbing Photo: bladerunner-cube 44
bladerunner-cube 44
Mrkb3
Joined Mar 4, 2015
191 points
Jan 30, 2017
Mrkb3 wrote:
Here's how my cubes fit on my bladerunners. I would describe it as good but not perfect, the most significant issue being the space between the bail and the boot front lug on the side, allowing some flex. Does it matter? In the field I've seen climbers happily using a system of boots-crampons with much more significant fit issues relatively happily...


It looks to me, everyone's different, that your points are too far forward. I offset the bails. The first hole on the inside and the second hole on the outside of the crampon.

To answer your question, tighten the heel bails crazy tight. That will eliminate the gap but it may also break the heel bail down the road. In that case buy a Grivel bail. I've seen this work first hand.
Bill Kirby
From Baltimore Maryland
Joined Jul 21, 2012
40 points
Jan 30, 2017
Bill Kirby wrote:
It looks to me, everyone's different, that your points are too far forward. I offset the bails. The first hole on the inside and the second hole on the outside of the crampon. To answer your question, tighten the heel bails crazy tight. That will eliminate the gap but it may also break the heel bail down the road. In that case buy a Grivel bail. I've seen this work first hand.


Thanks, Bill. I may play around with it a bit more but I really took my time when I got these to try many different configurations including off-seting the bails. I settled on this configuration to maximize overall fit including how the rear piece sits below the heel rubber.
Mrkb3
Joined Mar 4, 2015
191 points


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 1 of 1.