REI Community
search
Advanced
Anyone ever see a dry treated rope look like this?
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
Page 1 of 1.  
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
Apr 9, 2012
See photo...new rope. Kind of white and waxy/sticky. Sterling 9.8 Velocity.
Rock Climbing Photo: Dry treatment?
Dry treatment?
dnoB ekiM
Joined Aug 20, 2009
1,095 points
Apr 9, 2012
Mike Bond wrote:
See photo...new rope. Kind of white and waxy/sticky. Sterling 9.8 Velocity.


looks like you and your new rope had a good time last night!! Just call up sterling if your worried
rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Joined Dec 20, 2009
205 points
Apr 9, 2012
rock_fencer wrote:
looks like you and your new rope had a good time last night!! Just call up sterling if your worried



I knew that comment was comming.

I have emailed Sterling the pic.
dnoB ekiM
Joined Aug 20, 2009
1,095 points
Apr 9, 2012
Where is the rope stored, and how long has it been there? If it is brand new I would return it, it's just not worth risking. If it were pants or something I would just throw them in the wash- but a rope. . no way.
Looking at the picture it looks like mold (or chalk, but I kind of ruled that out), I worked in a shop that kept gear in an old damp basement for ages if inventory wasn't moving. In some cases packaging or product would end up destroyed or defective.
jbird
Joined Feb 13, 2012
0 points
Apr 9, 2012
jbird wrote:
Where is the rope stored, and how long has it been there? If it is brand new I would return it, it's just not worth risking. If it were pants or something I would just throw them in the wash- but a rope. . no way. Looking at the picture it looks like mold (or chalk, but I kind of ruled that out), I worked in a shop that kept gear in an old damp basement for ages if inventory wasn't moving. In some cases packaging or product would end up destroyed or defective.



It is in the factory coil still. New. Sterling responded. It is the dry treatment and just an example of it being overly applied and not curing properly before being bagged. They have already offered to replace it for free.

+1 for Sterling's great customer service. I already loved their ropes.
dnoB ekiM
Joined Aug 20, 2009
1,095 points
Apr 10, 2012
Although you already have your answer I have ropes that get that from dry sap running through a biner. Living in the rockies, all your ropes eventually get some sap on them. Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Joined Feb 15, 2006
105 points
Apr 10, 2012

"I have ropes that get that from dry sap running through a biner".



I was unaware that the Dry treatment for ropes was SAP.

From now on I am buying NON TREATED ropes and just heading out to the South Platte for a SAP TREATMENT.
Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
Joined Oct 13, 2002
1,635 points
Apr 10, 2012
if you get stuck -here's .02 for later..

How to Remove Tree Sap from Fur

(or a Fleece Jacket)
kirra
Joined Feb 1, 2006
345 points
Apr 10, 2012
Only saps pay extra for dry treatments. What you need is spooge-treated ropes. Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Joined Jan 1, 2001
1,230 points
Apr 10, 2012
Locker wrote:
"I have ropes that get that from dry sap running through a biner". I was unaware that the Dry treatment for ropes was SAP. From now on I am buying NON TREATED ropes and just heading out to the South Platte for a SAP TREATMENT.


"Although you already have your answer I have ropes that get that from dry sap running through a biner".

So I have had ropes that have gotten sap on them, then it turns white when dry and run through a biner or belay device...but PLEASE let me know if your sap treatment idea works. I can stop buying treated ropes. Hate to think this whole time I've been wasting my money.
Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Joined Feb 15, 2006
105 points


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 1 of 1.  

Mountain Project

The Definitive Climbing Resource

MTB Project

Next Generation MTB Trail Maps

Powder Project

Backcountry Ski Maps & Secret Stashes
FREE Stickers · Gyms · People · RSS · School of Rock · Contact · About
Terms · Privacy © 2017 Adventure Projects, Inc.